MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: 7x57 RB fun

Boolit Master

7x57 RB fun

I spent a 2 weeks up in the North Central Cascades working on my cabin and had a little time to practice with my 7x57 Rolling Block. The target was set at 100 yds. I was shooting 172-175 gr cast sized 0.286 over 36 Grains of H4350. I shot from the kneeling position. The rifle sights shoot high even at the lowest setting so I was trying to set the sights at the bottom of the can. There are 11 hits out of 15 rounds fired; a couple on the side which are hard to see and at least 2 hit the top handle. It was lots of fun !!!!

Now here is a question: I bought these boolits from a fellow member and I do not know what casting block he used. I would like to buy a similar casting block as these boolits worked better than the 135 gr I am able to cast. I think he used a NOE casting block but if you have opinions I would like to know them.
    thanks
    atr
    Attachment 228230Attachment 228232Attachment 228231
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

looks like it could be lyman 287308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Great! I had a mint condition 7mm RB once, and made a new pinned front sight, out of a silver dime, to file down and get it zeroed. I shot it with factory loads, handloads and some Kynock nickel jacketed stuff from Navy Arms, all without any issues. I religiously cleaned it, and finally sold it after getting tired of it. I still haves some of the old targets, shot with my jacketed handloads and Kynock stuff, would shoot into 1&1/2 inches all day at 100 yds. I recently came across an old issue of Precision Shooting, and the gentleman had a mint condition 7mm RB, and his results were similar to mine, but even better, he had several 1" and 3/4" groups at 100yds, shooting jacketed and cast bullets!! He also did some very good research, about the suitability of shooting maximum loads in them, and came out that the headspace issues were cause by using to light of a load, that when you used up to within 1 grain of maximum load, it set the casing back where it was supposed to be, and let the case fill the chamber, and no extraction issues. His findings mirrored mine, and we even use some of the same loads using H4831.

Boolit Master

zymguy, thanks for the tip about the casting block..I will check it out
    and
    Koger, Nice tip about changing the front sight with a silver dime ! I have shot close to maximum loads both boolit and jacked in this rifle and never had any problems.

Boolit Master

I shot this group today from the bench at 50yds.
    I tend to pull left, so left of center is probably me and not so much the rifle.
    the group measures a vertical rectangle 1.5 x 2" high. I think the vertical stringing is on account of the sights, which are open iron, and my semi-good eyes.
    Attachment 228354