RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Candidates for Suppressed .22 Rimfire

Boolit Master
    I'm going to lay this out. If you live in a state that allows you to hunt with a suppressor, you will kick yourself in the rear for having waited to get one! POI shift is totally firearm dependent in my experience, some will move the point a little, some not at all, unless you have a faulty suppressor to begin with. It's worth having one, for me, because you don't light the whole woods afire every time you fire a round. They also may give you a very slight advantage hunting, but the bullet impact makes a loud smack when it impacts, so if you think your going to sit in one spot and clean out what hickory tree full of squirrels you'd be mistaken. When ol cousin Leroy gray's head pops, and sounds like a fast ball hitting the catchers mitt, and the next one you shoot sound the same way, they don't just line up on the limb and wait to be picked off, they run for the hills just like you'd fired that first shot gun blast, but it's a whole lot easier to hit them running with a shot gun than a 22LR! On HV rounds there's still the loud crack from the bullet, but the muzzle blast is masked and its much harder for the shooters location to be determined. On another note, you can't control when a semi auto cycles (unless you hold the bolt closed), but most bolt actions can be cycled very slowly and quietly if a follow up shoot is needed.

Boolit Master
    use one on my 1022 takes most of the muzzle crack away so you only hear the boolit strike .point of impact doesn't vary much mod on or off .

Boolit Master
    Point of impact shift due to the suppressor really isn't much of an issue. Once you use the suppressed rifle, you're not going to be shooting without the suppressor mounted. So, no problem {g}

I have lot of them and I have a lathe so I can thread my own barrels but there are aftermarket outfits that sell threaded barrels for most popular rifles and pistols.

With the right ammunition they can be incredibly quiet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Point of impact shift due to the suppressor really isn't much of an issue. Once you use the suppressed rifle, you're not going to be shooting without the suppressor mounted. So, no problem {g}
    Aint that the truth!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

I will state the near obvious, you can buy a barrel for the Ruger you have.

Not saying a new .22 is a bad thing at all. If I could have a silencer in NY I would probably buy a 455 American or maybe a tacticool or whatever it’s called now.

Boolit Master
    Main issue around the POI shift question is repeatability. I wpuld be using it on multiple different 22s, and do not want to rezero everytime I swap it to another firearm, pr take it appart to clean.
    I have taken multiple squirrels from the same positions frequently, always with subsonic ammo.Can't remember ever getting that chance with HV ammo. Generally 25 to 40 yard shots due to the hardwood ridges i hunt. The "thunk" of the bullet hitting squirrel noggin dosen't seem to bother the others. Metallic sounds seem to get their attention big time, and movement.
    I almost bought a threaded barrel this weekend, but think I need to get the paperwork back first, would make the wait that much worse. The Ruger america seems to feel good, but I hate plastic stocks.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I have used both a 10/22 and a CZ452 for hunting,both suppressed. I've had a 452 since the 90's.

I much prefer the almost silent bolt action,a selfloader action noise is LOUD in a quiet environment.

Boolit Master

Still thinking about a suppressor but have a couple of questions. Right now a new threaded barrel for one of the 10-22's seems a good start. I have 2 10-22's, one bought way back in 1965 and the other won in a Gunblast drawing in 2002. Are there differences in older vs newer? If I go this route, I will look for a replacement barrel already threaded.

Second question: Is another $200 permit required for another suppressor? Thought I would ask before getting too far into this.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    $200 tax on every suppressor. If you buy a $100 .22lr suppressor, you still pay the $200 tax.

Boolit Master

Thanks! Something to consider.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Still thinking about a suppressor but have a couple of questions. Right now a new threaded barrel for one of the 10-22's seems a good start. I have 2 10-22's, one bought way back in 1965 and the other won in a Gunblast drawing in 2002. Are there differences in older vs newer? If I go this route, I will look for a replacement barrel already threaded.
    I'm not an expert on 10/22's. but for many years the 10/22's had a chamber length problem that impeded good accuracy.
    Because the chambers were longish, many people had chamber work done and the barrel set back.

I'm not sure when the chambers stopped being cut too long, but it went on for a long time.
    Many people might say that older 10/22's shoot just fine, but they weren't anywhere near as accurate as they could have been.
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-22-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    As far as I can tell the chambers are as long as ever, maybe longer. I set one barrel back by .092 and put a shim in the clamp dovetail. That reduced the groups by 50%! Rounds eject but are lightly engraved. I do not shoot stingers or other long cased extra vel stuff so not concerned with them.
    You might try Green Mountain Barrels , they make very good replacement barrels with correct chambers. I suspect they offer a threaded barrel at a good price. 3 of my 10-22 sporters wear them, another is a Volquertson and the last the set back Ruger. With 6x scopes and Winchester Sub HP ammo, I would need a caliper to tell the difference in group size. Basically 1/2 inch for 5 at 50. Probably 5/8 over a long average, I hate bench shooting so don't do it often.

Update, looks lile they charge 79$ to thread the .920 heavy barrels.@@@ Wow, they have gone up a bit, 165 for the heavy sporter.
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/muzzle-...0-22-920-bbls/
    Last edited by rking22; 10-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    The Savage FVSR is great once you replace the stock. Seriously the stock is unusable unless you have a very abnormally shaped head. You can get a threaded barrel for one of your current guns if you prefer, but I’d buy another vs messing with something you’re already happy with. Of course once you shoot suppressd you’ll probably thread all of your guns. For .22 I have an FVSR, a couple 10-22’s, a 96-22, a couple cz452’s, and a mess of pistols. If you were nearby I’d let you shoot a few, maybe find yourself a local friend that will let you shoot their guns.

Boolit Master
    On a 22lr, shooting subsonic ammo, is there a notable difference between monocore and stacked designs?

Boolit Master
    I have a Outback II that started life as a stacked core sealed tube that I sent back for a monocore upgrade(?) that is now able to be taken apart and cleaned. I can tell absolutely no difference on a rifle before or after. I understand that on a handgun the monocore exhibits more FRP. I think this is due to the monocore having more open area in the tube to hold O2. There are ways to mitigate FRP if one wishes to do so, but on a rifle I doubt you'd tell them apart.
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 10-23-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Boolit Master

Thompson center is making a gun similar to the 10/22 but with a machined steel receiver I believe. It’s already threaded. Tc r22 I think.

Reports say it’s very well built.

Boolit Master

Never did get hooked up in the surpressor game although I've handled a fair amount of Swedish Ks, M3s and MP5s as well as the SEALs Rugers and found all too bulky for my tastes. The full autos were too noisy action wise for really sneaky tactical use.
    When a teenager, I experimented with a SS .22 for limited use. I found that a tobacco sack tied over the muzzle lasted about 3 shots with .22 Shorts. Plastic bags were a one time use thing. If you have an in-town use on domestic varmints, this might be a solution./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Use a cheap non strippable mod on my 1022 ,just sonic clean it every now and then .it was about £35 seem to be holding up well as I've put a couple of thousand rounds through it now.

Boolit Master
    Wish that were the case here. For me the 200$ tax stamp added to the cost means I am going to go "top drawer" when I buy one. I am glad to hear that an ultrasonic cleaner may take care of the fowling. Wondered about that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast