Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Candidates for Suppressed .22 Rimfire

Boolit Master

Candidates for Suppressed .22 Rimfire

I recently happened upon a YouTube video reviewing a Ruger American rim fire rifle. While the presenter did not address the attached suppressor, I was interested. I now am interested in acquiring a suppressed .22. In checking the internet, I find that several manufacturers offer threaded barrel models. I know that there are hoops to jump thru in order to buy a suppressor but I might be willing to do that.

I have a couple of Ruger 10-22's and a CZ 452 but no interest in modifying one of them. I am looking for recommendations for a suppressor ready bolt action rifle. Also any help navigating my way thru the twists and turns of being licensed to acquire a suppressor for it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    It's modified, but my old remington 581 that I had threaded is my favorite bolt action .22 host.

Getting the suppressor isn't terribly difficult, but does require some patience. You don't actually become 'licensed' to own it, but rather, you pay a one time transfer tax. Finding a local class 3 dealer will be necessary for the transfer, so it might be good to have him talk you through the process.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I agree to speak with a dealer.
    There's also youtube videos that help explain about the current processes.

Youtube search results:--->>> https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+apply+for+one

Some of the Savage .22's are also factory threaded and have nice actions and stocks.--->>> https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/rimfire
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-03-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a CZ 452 and CZ 455 American suppressor ready 22LR’s.

They are both exceptionally accurate and with CCI subsonic segmented Hollow points and they are whispering death on small game.

My CZ 452 American pictured with a Silencerco Specter II suppressor and CZ 25 round mag (for those target rich environments).

Boolit Buddy

I have a Savage Mark II FVSR that comes factory threaded and ready to host my YHM Mite. Sweet little rifle (I swapped stocks to a Boyd's Wood "tacticool" stock) that is almost movie silent with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. It also really liked the Remington Subsonic (actually slightly more accurate but they were a lot harder to find until recently).

Boolit Master
    Go with a bolt action or pump .22, any semi automatic makes a lot of noise cycling the action. Years ago I put a small engine muffler on a Remington Nylon 66 and was impressed on how well it worked, slip on with a hose clamp. Not giving anyone ideas since that setup is frowned upon now. I sold the rifle and put the muffler back on the lawn mower

Boolit Master
    I bought a Savage B22 FVSR, the newer version of the Mark II. It has a coned breach, a 16 in threaded bull barrel, pic rail, sling studs, a much stiffer stock, and a rotary mag. All for around $300 out the door. I added an Apache trigger kit for a 16oz pull. I do not have a suppressor, but it is ready. Its been a pretty accurate and dependable gun. It likes to have a clean chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Easy to change barrels on 10-22. You can find take-off standard barrels for $25 and then have it threaded for $75. $100 and no permanent modification to your gun. On the other hand the Savage bolt action is hard to beat and the bolt action is super quiet and none of the headaches from increased back pressure from suppressor to dirty up your action. Back to the 10-22 it is very satisfying to rack off 25 rounds with only the click of the bolt operating.

Boolit Master
    We really need to meet the middle some Saturday and shoot some 32s and 22s! I have a supressor ready T-Bolt that's my go to squirrel gun, and a 10/22 I built up, it spends most of its time on starling elimination duty. I have two mono core suppressors that work great on the rifles. My advice, get the ball rolling yesterday on a good supressor, worry about what to screw it onto while it's in ATF lockup! All closed breach rifles are very very quiet with SS ammo, autos naturally make more noise, but a 10/22 can be tuned to run very quiet as well, hint, get rid of that steel bolt stop for one.

Boolit Master
    Sorta on topic, but I got a question those of you with threaded 10-22s ect. Have you done accuracy comparisons with and without the suppressor? Also is there a POI change? Is it consistent shift as long as the ammo is the same? I want to get me one, but I have no interest in it if it opens my 50 yard groups above 3/4 for 5 shots. All I seem to find is sound tests, shoot one of the tested setups had no way to sight due to the huge can! I want to squirrel hunt with it, and I am a one shot per customer kinda squirrel hunter. Any insight appriciated, and sorry for the diversion.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Sorta on topic, but I got a question those of you with threaded 10-22s ect. Have you done accuracy comparisons with and without the suppressor? Also is there a POI change? Is it consistent shift as long as the ammo is the same? I want to get me one, but I have no interest in it if it opens my 50 yard groups above 3/4 for 5 shots. All I seem to find is sound tests, shoot one of the tested setups had no way to sight due to the huge can! I want to squirrel hunt with it, and I am a one shot per customer kinda squirrel hunter. Any insight appriciated, and sorry for the diversion.
    With my 10/22 and a threaded factory barrel (22" version) I see the same size or better groups, but I also had the barrel set back and rechambered to go with the new crown it was getting. POI drops about 1.25" at 50 yards and is .75" to the left. But it's repeatable and POI is the same every time the can is screwed on. With a Tactictal Solutions threaded barrel, the POI shift is only about .5" down, and again, repeatable.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I have a CZ 453 that is just the bees knees suppressed. I had to thread the barrel, but it was totally worth it! Beautiful wood (Really beautiful!), crazy accurate with CCI sv, great factory trigger (love the single set trigger), and giggle quiet with any of my .22 cans. Whats not to love?

Boolit Master
    As far as POI shift, that is very dependent on just how concentric the bore is to the threads and shoulder on the barrel. It makes a difference when you hang several ounces off the end of your barrel, and how the barrel is bedded comes into play as well. Most guns will actually shoot more consistently because the muzzle gases are settled down as well. Btw, one you start hunting with a suppressor you want be taking it off one day for a hunt, then putting it on the next! If your serious about your hunting 22lr you probably even have an exclusive ammunition for each rifle, I know I do! I have hunting 22s and plinking 22s and I expect a lot different accuracy from each.

A warning to everyone here though, if you shoot very many rounds through your suppressor, DON'T leave it threaded on and pt the gun up! Suppressors collect lots of water when it cools those gases, just like the muffler on your truck!

Boolit Master
    CZ 455 suppressor ready. End of discussion.

Suppressors are fairly simple to aquire it just takes time to get approved. I bought my last one through silencer shop with a single shot trust and a local powered by dealer. I'd look into that. I pretty much just sent them my finger prints and a photo they handle everything else.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    CZ 455 suppressor ready. End of discussion.

Suppressors are fairly simple to aquire it just takes time to get approved. I bought my last one through silencer shop with a single shot trust and a local powered by dealer. I'd look into that. I pretty much just sent them my finger prints and a photo they handle everything else.
    I guess I have to show my ignorance. What are those things I highlighted?

I've been to the Silencer Shop website but just did a quick look around. I've got to make sure that I'm really serious about this because of the money involved.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Glad you ssked that, Im lost too. Also wonder about the cost to do it that way vs just doing my own paperwork and running arround.
    Yep, I have specific ammo for my hunting rifles, well all of them since Im subject to hunt with them all. Thats why I was wondering about POI shift, I will only pay one tax stamp so it will be moved arround.
    On the host, I know you are looking for a bolt, can't help there. I really want to do a Browning ATD/ SA22 integral. But then Im stuck with only one quiet toy Anyway, Ive noticed that the squirrels don't "make me" as often with my long barreled 1022 vs the bolt gun. The bolt cycling makes some noise but it's at the same time as the shot and no movement on my part, vs shooting then cranking a bolt. For a hunter, I think the auto loader (still used as a simgle shot, 1 per customer) is a better bet than a bolt or other. Any thoughts?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    ruger is building a 10-22 with a built in suppressor

Boolit Master
    Single shot trust is a firearms trust for one item. Look up the benefits of having a trust.

Powered by dealer has an agreement with Silencer shop transfer fees are taken care of as well as all your paperwork. I think it cost me an extra $30 to get my paperwork submitted, including buying the Tax stamp through Silencer shop which costs $205 instead of $200 and the $25 trust.

Semi autos are louder than you think when suppressed.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

My very first real gun was a Remington 514 single shot .22, I still have it. I'd dearly love to suppress it, but that's a whole lot of dollars I don't have to spend.

Boolit Master
    The nice thing about suppressors is that if purchased right, they're a one time expense. I've got several .22 cans at this point, but for a long time I only had one, and I must have had half of my .22's threaded so I could run it on them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast