Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: 375 H&H suggestions - tips

Boolit Master

375 H&H suggestions - tips

recently acquired 375 H&H BRNO mould suggestions favorite load recipes anything would be apprecieated I mostly just shoot for recreation but also hunt Moose deer and bear I know this is more than enough gun, but you never know when your going to run across a rogue bull red squirrel or a black bushy tail.

Watch nose profile of the boolit. The larger the meplat, the greater the chance of not feeding. I've even had to lathe turn the nose on a 416 Rigby cast boolit to get it to feed. If I remember, I'll post the mold I use and the load. Check the Lyman cast manuals, you should find lots of 375 data.

NWO, northwest Oregon or northwest Ohio? Never heard anywhere in Ohio referred to as sunset country:

Boolit Buddy
    I have an Accurate Molds 38-275H which i really like.

It's a bore rider style with a crimp groove and the section behind the crimp is just the right length so that the gas check is sitting flush with the base of the neck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38-275H.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	228454

Boolit Master
    north western Ontario just a little north of Minneapolis about 6hrs

Boolit Master
    thanks CamoWhamo I'm hopeing to get something soon as I'm itchy to shoot this little honey

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 377449 cast of COWWs + 2% tin, WQ'd, sized .377, lubed with 2500+ or NRA 50/50, Hornady GCs and loaded over 46 gr IMR4895 with a 1 - 1 1/2 gr Dacron filler. Runs 2150 - 2190 fps out of my M70 Winchester (24" barrel) with excellent accuracy.

Same bullet loaded over 36 gr 5744 (no filler) runs 1850 fps and is an accurate milder load.

Hornady .375 RBs (80 gr) with a light coat of LLA (dried thoroughly) loaded to seat with ogive at case neck over 4 gr of Bullseye (no wad or filler) run 900 fps with excellent accuracy to 50 yards making for an excellent small game (grouse, ptarmigan and hares/rabbits) load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by CamoWhamo View Post
    I have an Accurate Molds 38-275H which i really like.

It's a bore rider style with a crimp groove and the section behind the crimp is just the right length so that the gas check is sitting flush with the base of the neck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38-275H.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	228454
    Interesting. What loads are you using with powders that I`d have here in the states?Robert

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    north western Ontario just a little north of Minneapolis about 6hrs
    Everybody has their own definition of "just a little", my wife would call that 6 hours almost on the other side of the world. Being that I traveled extensively while working 6 hours is just around the corner.

Boolit Grand Master
    seems a friend ran the one & only lee mold boolit for .375 over about 13 grains of unique. i'd start out around 10 grains and move up until accuracy and pressure limits meet your needs. dandy deer combo

Boolit Master
    I use the NOE 378-275-FN http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...qthjcikpcunod5 in my Whitworth over a bit less Varget than I use for 300gr jacketed. They hit 2,500fps and shoot @ 1 1/2” at fifty yards using peep sights.

I bought a Sako 375 H&H new in 68. Shop going out of business and I got cheap, planning on a
    300 mg rebarrel. My gunsmith talked me into shooting it first. I was impressed with ballistics and
    accuracy so I kept it 375H&H. I carried it for moose and Black bear with 270g loads. Then in order
    to use it more tried Speer 235gr bullets/ 73.0g IMR-3031 at approx 2800fps. Then I started using
    it for deer and some varmits. It became my favorite rifle.

USMC 77, USRA 79

This link has some interesting reading on the 375449 Lyman... lots of pics too

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5449-First-Run
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Finally remembered to write down the .375 details when I was in the shop, I use the Noe 379-279-FN with gas check. I am currently loading 18 grains of Blue Dot, I have gone as high as 24 grains. The Lyman #3 Cast Manual shows the Lyman 375296 with loads from 17 to 23.5 grains. I like the 18 grains for plinking and fun shooting. 24 grains worked well but was much stiffer, not brutal, but when the point is to ring dingers it was too much.

The Lyman book shows loads using SR-4756, Red Dot, 700X, Green Dot, Unique, Herco, PB and what I assume is Winchester 630. It just gave the number 630. I would look for a copy of Lyman #3 Manual, it has a fair number of loads listed.

The mold I have casts a boolit that works well, If I were to get another mold I would probably look for a mold with a little smaller meplat for a little smoother feeding. With this boolit, speed on closing works better than a slow deliberate operation of the bolt.

Have a look here

375 Holland & Holland Paper Patch

Dave

Boolit Master
    I have the Lyman 375449 mold. My bullets drop @ .379 using tin enriched WW. I size @ .378. They weigh 272 gr with gas check and alox lube. Using 26 gr 4759 with a touch of dacron filler =1620 fps. 35 gr 4759 = 2000 fps out of my .375 H&H Rem 700. The 35 gr load is warm, work up carefully. I like the 26 gr loading best. Comfortable recoil, and shoots nice too. More than enough for big game.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Very satisfactory and economical load which approximates .38-55 black powder velocity is the #375449 cast from wheel weights, without the GC, simply tumble-lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. In most guns these can be shot as-cast and unsized at .380". Load 12-13 grains of Bullseye, standard or magnum large rifle primer, no filler is needed.

Velocity of the 266 grain cast slug is about 1300 fps and in boltguns it usually shoots to sights at 50 yards when the rifle is zeroed at 250 yards with 235-grain Speer Hot-Cor and 75 grains of IMR4064 for about 2900 fps. Using the bottom post of a typical duplex reticle of a low-powered hunting scope point of impact is good for hunting purposes to 150 yards. Good woods deer load.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have a 375 Hurt&Hurt barrel for my Encore. I have shot the speer 235gr bullet and it shoots well, I also cast a 335gr boolit from Accurate Molds and it shoots very well in it.

Boolit Master
    thanks fellow casters I've ordered some brass (hornady for now ) hope to find some norma or other manufacturer. Any input on whats working verses what not in the brass line ups?