Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Squirrel/Small Game Gun?

Boolit Master

Favorite Squirrel/Small Game Gun?

Well, it's about that time of year... I figured I'd make kind of a fun post and see what everyone likes to use for small game.

Personally, I have always used a Remington 870 in 12ga with 2 3/4" #4's -- MOD Choke. (3" turkey loads for long shots).

I received a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas last year. It's currently topped with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 , so I may use that next time I go out. (Got to find time/place to hunt first..

So, without further ado, let's see your favorite small game rigs. Stories are encouraged!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master
    I keep messing with other things, but this one remains a perennial favorite:

It's a Remington bolt action in .32 S&W long caliber. It's easy to carry, fun to shoot, and quiet enough without a can or ears as to be inoffensive.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Ruger 77/17, 17 Mach 2. 20" sporter. Simmons 22 Mag scope.

Boolit Master
    Remington speedmaster 22 or Remington 512

Boolit Master
    Sadly the firearm is not in the family anymore , but my father had a Winchester that I believe was a low wall in 22 short , and long but not for 22 long rifle with the octagon barrel that had the hand screw so the barrel could be removed with your fingers that was passed down from his father ( my grandfather ) that was truly cherished my my family . When it went to my older brother he passed it to his son and it was stolen . I spent days afield with this rifle squirrel and rabbit hunting in my youth dreaming of big game hunting , it still breaks my heart every time I think about it .

Remington 1100 12ga with #6 and a modified choke or a 22lr depending on where I go.

My favorite squirrel gun is my Remington 572 the SN puts it at 1971. I've taken more squirrels with that gun than any other. I even took a bet once that it couldn't hit a chipmunk at 75 yards....I won that one. Its a tack driver for a pump gun...It loves the cheap Federal Blue Box ammo....so I lucked out there.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Winchester 72 w/factory peep, long gone now and sorely missed. Even after 45+yrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    No zombies I am very interested in doing a 32 Smith & Wesson single shot. Did you make that on a 580 platform? Can you give us more details or do you have it right up Elsewhere on that gun?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I us a Cabela's blue ridge in .32 cal percussion. I used an old Mossberg bolt action with 22 shorts for 20 years until I switched over to the muzzle loaders. And I just picked up and sighted in a 10 inch 22 rf barrel for my T/C contender. The muzzle loader is fun to hunt with but nothing like a 22 short I have taken my limit of 6 squirrels for one big hickory many times or just sitting in one spot between a couple of active trees.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Favorite Squirrel/Small Game Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    My favorite squirrel gun is my Remington 572 the SN puts it at 1971. I've taken more squirrels with that gun than any other. I even took a bet once that it couldn't hit a chipmunk at 75 yards....I won that one. Its a tack driver for a pump gun...It loves the cheap Federal Blue Box ammo....so I lucked out there.

redhawk
    In the Marines once on the range back in ‘83? I was goofing off shooting and the sniper coach we had said my sights were off. I was on 500 yd line. On 200 yd line a ground squirrel stood up straight downrange from me. Said see the squirrel? Yeah. Headshot! Said your sights are fine! Wish I still had those eyes !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Remembrance
    My favorite squirrel / rabbit gun is a Stevens 22/410. Mine has the selector on side of receiver. If sitting still, the 22 lr. nails them. If on the run, the 410 does the trick.

Boolit Buddy
    I like my CZ 452

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0676_opt.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	228287
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Dave View Post
    No zombies I am very interested in doing a 32 Smith & Wesson single shot. Did you make that on a 580 platform? Can you give us more details or do you have it right up Elsewhere on that gun?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    Hey Dave,

I'm pretty sure I've written about it elsewhere, but it'll probably take less time to write a little bit about it than it would to find other posts about it.

This one was built on a 581 receiver. I purchased it as an abandoned project. The previous owner's smith had done some very good work on certain parts of the gun, but there were a few things it needed. I finished it up, and with various loads I've had the gun shooting 100 yard groups as small as 1/4" CTC and I can usually shoot under 1/2" CTC without much effort. The barrel is a 1-10 twist at .310x.300.

Since then I've built a few others for friends using similar specs. It's really not terribly hard if you have a lathe. These days the trick is finding 580 series actions to build them on!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    12ga Rem. 1100 for feathers
    10/22 for fur
    But I've probably taken as much game with my .177 Webley Omega air rifle.

When I was between 10 & 12, I would go woodchuck hunting with my uncle. I took one at just over 100yrds with my open site J.G. Anschutz & CCI Stingers.

Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 10-05-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Rem 870 Wingmaster 20 ga for feathers.
    Ruger 10/22 for fur, when I turned 40 I had to scope it, no longer had the eyes to use irons accurately enough.

Sheridan Blue Streak for rabbits, squirrels, blackbirds by the house. Gophers at the farm.

Boolit Master
    For squirrels and rabbits, I use a Remington 541S, topped with a Leupold 10X scope with target knobs and AO. SK Subsonic hollow points. Centerfire rifles are not allowed for small game, here in Louisiana.

Boolit Master
    Feathers ,I like my 28ga Ithaca NID, well cottontails too! Squirrels,well depends on my mood. Lately it's been a 28 inch barreled 10-22 in a french walnut stock. Quiet and accurate with the 2x7 weaver. When the leaves fall I'll be wandering the woods with a Rem M33, slim and accurate as well. Just need them within 25 yards with the open sights and my eyes. Both use subsonic hps. Winchester 42gr and the green mountain barrel puts them in under 1/2 at 50yards. The M33, well I can pretty much hit anything I can see, 59 year old eyeballs
    Trying to post pictures, but tinypic seems to be down.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    An old 1100 12 ga I've had for I dunno how many years... still looks NIB.
    Next for squirrels would be my 10/22 that I got maybe in 1975 or so, followed by a Ruger 22/45.

I used to have an old double barreled 12 sold by Montgomery Wards that was pure death to squirrels, rabbits and deer. It fit me like a glove and I seldom missed with it ( except for doves) but I gave it to my oldest son. Yup, sometimes I do stupid things.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Memories of 'small game/Varmint hunting' include going with my older brother and his friend to hunt 'Jack Rabbits' with a Marlin Model 56 "Levermatic'.
    A separate 'hunt' with my friends and a Winchester 1890 Pump .22WRF when I shot a 'Sparrow' through the eye at about 35 yards.
    Both Many decades ago and no longer Possible where I live (Laws have Changed and so have public perceptions of groups of 'children' walking with rifles and no Immediate Adult supervision).
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 10-09-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast