Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat bin??

Boolit Bub

Powder Coat bin??

Short of being that guy that looks at all the recycle labels on toys and stuff.. does anyone know of a container bigger than cool whip to use for powder coating bullets? using a cool whip container takes a while when doing A LOT of bullets.. seems fine for 20-30 bullets though.

bigger cool whip bin??

Boolit Buddy
    I use Folgers coffee cans. Works a treat. I can do up about 10 lbs at a crack.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    I use Folgers coffee cans. Works a treat. I can do up about 10 lbs at a crack.
    What do you use to build the static charge? AirSoft BBs?

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing. Just the bullets and powder in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorvogi View Post
    What do you use to build the static charge? AirSoft BBs?

Boolit Buddy
    In fact, it seems the bigger the batch, the better they coat. I should disclose that, at that volume, it beats the carp out of em and they require sizing as they become oval shaped. I've measured them (9mm) at .352 in one direction and .364 in the other. They go in the black real nice though.

Banned
    Put them in a case tumbler

options http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...BDT-containers

Moderator Emeritus
    Shaking the bullets a little shouldn’t cause them to become oval. Are u sure they weren’t that way before coating?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Shaking the bullets a little shouldn’t cause them to become oval. Are u sure they weren’t that way before coating?
    Yep. They measure .357 out of the mold.

Boolit Master
    Cast bullets are lopsided bullets. The quality mold may be as perfectly round as it gets, but because of the physics involved the bullets coming out of a mold are not round. This is the reason acheiving consistant accuracy at distance with full power rifle loads is not acheivable without modifing the cast bullet.

To answer your original question I use a much larger container and I coat 200-400 bullets at a time with little effort. Having started PC back in 2012 I have experimented a lot including using my big dillon tumber and as some have already found, commercial tumblers are too agressive for PC.
    The answer was make my own tumbler starting with a small tumbler that had been retired. Make a simple plywood stand that holds the tumbler, a 1/2" cut to size rubber mat, a #5 painter' 5 gallon bucket held in place with 1/4-20 screw replacing the original through bolt, a couple of 3/8" all thread w/nuts tie downs and sheetmetal hardware. My tie downs allow me to adjust the amount tension and the vibration level of my tumbler. If you have any question I will answer them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	228281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	228282

Quote Originally Posted by moorvogi View Post
    Short of being that guy that looks at all the recycle labels on toys and stuff.. does anyone know of a container bigger than cool whip to use for powder coating bullets? using a cool whip container takes a while when doing A LOT of bullets.. seems fine for 20-30 bullets though.

bigger cool whip bin??
    Any food grade #5 container but 20-30 bullets? I use a ziplok screw on lid container & it is about half the size of a cool whip. I get almost 50 9mm bullets in there???
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Any food grade #5 container but 20-30 bullets? I use a ziplok screw on lid container & it is about half the size of a cool whip. I get almost 50 9mm bullets in there???
    #2 also works. I haven't experimented with any other plastics.

Banned

yup I use an old Frankfort arsenal vibrator that was on the shelf for a spare. Works great. Now bbs needed. Just toss in the bullets and walk away for 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post

Boolit Master

I WAS using cool whip take out or Butter bowls for my S&B. Then tried some BB's then bought the BLK BB's... all worked wasn't convinced it was required so I experimented with small batches of 15-20 bullets and all worked... Then I experimented with larger qualities like 40-60 pcs and needed a larger container. My nephew uses allot of QUICK choco milk mix, so my sis saves me the cans. they are about a gallon plus internal volume. I now use these with couple Tbl spoons of powder NO BBS and I am getting better more even coatings across the board, small qualities to large all coat very well. I believe that the larger volume of the container, having more surface area, creates the static better faster more efficiently than the small containers.

PhotoBucket not playing well so I cannot add pics today... GRRR

CW

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I use a piece of ABS pipe about 6 inches long, with a cap on each end, handful of BB’s and do 50-70 bullets at a time. ABS pipe builds static fast, or so all the plumbers I know tell me.

Boolit Master

Excellent idea!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    #1 variable is the powder [ not just manufacturer but manufacturer AND specific color and gloss].

There are several powders this will work with (that blue Elvis was using is his favorite powder), BUT so many won't work.

Go through the powders you have and start with a small pile of each color (make sure you shake off ALL the excess powder) and see which work best and go from there.

There is a good chance that none of the powders you have will work.

Boolit Master

Started out with an empty 1 lb Tite Group powder container with # 2 on bottom . Had peeled the stick-on label off for easy marking if I decided to use the cannister for another purpose - always need empty containers with screw-on caps. It was just sitting in my gun room and when Smoke's clear arrived, I needed something to do my test work. Unscrewed the lid and checked it to be sure no powder remained and dumped 100 or so 9mm boolits from the Lee 125 rn boolit mould. Didn't even use the ASBBs he sent with the powder coat. Put in a couple of teaspoons of clear pc, screwed the lid on and shook the cannister back and forth, as in from left to right, then some up and down from top to bottom and vice-versa. Opened the cannister and boolits were coated nicely. Dumped boolits on a stainless tray and shook off excess pc. Baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and coating was perfect. However, I did water-drop the coated boolits, tray and all, and after a few days they were very, very hard. Probably much harder than necessary. Have since graduated to a 2 lb empty powder container and have started using ASBBs. Always leave excess powder in container with screw-on lid. I. e., don't mix powder removed from original container back in with original. That way no contamination possible. Have continued to use this process with total success. The 2 lb powder container is about as big a batch as is feasible with, say, .45 ACP boolits. I usually only coat one layer deep but my convection oven is on the large size so I can put two 6" X 12" trays in at the same . Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 10-13-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: addition

I use this container from Dollar General. It works very well for me without BB's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I WAS using cool whip take out or Butter bowls for my S&B. Then tried some BB's then bought the BLK BB's... all worked wasn't convinced it was required so I experimented with small batches of 15-20 bullets and all worked... Then I experimented with larger qualities like 40-60 pcs and needed a larger container. My nephew uses allot of QUICK choco milk mix, so my sis saves me the cans. they are about a gallon plus internal volume. I now use these with couple Tbl spoons of powder NO BBS and I am getting better more even coatings across the board, small qualities to large all coat very well. I believe that the larger volume of the container, having more surface area, creates the static better faster more efficiently than the small containers.

PhotoBucket not playing well so I cannot add pics today... GRRR

CW

CW
    +1 I use a large (round) County Crock butter container that easily holds 150 ea 120~250 gr boolits at a time. Had good luck with no BB's then tried white BB's then black BB's and I'm back to no BB's. For me 20~30 sec's of swirling with NO SHAKES is the ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast