WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Convert a Rossi Model 92?

Boolit Master

Convert a Rossi Model 92?

I have a Rossi Model 92 stainless steel lever action carbine in 44 Magnum. I also have stainless steel Rossi 92 45 Colt barrel, magazine tube assembly, and lever. How difficult or costly to convert the 44 Magnum to 45 Colt?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    Would imagine you'd need a new bolt unless the old one unless it can be converted, cartridge guides one on each side of the action, maybe the cartridge lifter. Hopefully the old mag tube could be reused if not it's going to be replaced. Then fit the barrel, headspace it and do some serious cycling of dummy cartridges to make sure that everything is working, Frank

I think the mag tube is the same as is the bolt face and extractor. You may have to open up the bars and Possibly the lifter or swap them out to 45 parts to feed 45 colt, then again my 44mag 92 will feed 45 colt right up to the chamber. That is till you try to actually cam that 45 into a 44 hole and the whole works comes to a screeching halt. I dropped a range bag getting out of the truck to discover that and quit using slip top ammo boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    I have a Rossi Model 92 stainless steel lever action carbine in 44 Magnum. I also have stainless steel Rossi 92 45 Colt barrel, magazine tube assembly, and lever. How difficult or costly to convert the 44 Magnum to 45 Colt?
    I have a very nice .45 blue/octagon Puma (Rossi). Perhaps you might want to trade? PM if interested.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

I appreciate your offer, but I'll pass on non-stainless steel 92.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I have a very nice .45 blue/octagon Puma (Rossi). Perhaps you might want to trade? PM if interested.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

You'd need a bolt, too. Costly when you could sell it and buy the stainless .45 or trade for one. Dumping it all on a gunsmith might end up costing the price of new or used gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Screw the old barrel out, screw the new barrel in should be all thats needed -
    I bet Rossi uses the same parts for both cartridges - magazine tube etc

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You'd need a bolt, too. Costly when you could sell it and buy the stainless .45 or trade for one. Dumping it all on a gunsmith might end up costing the price of new or used gun.
    Why a new bolt ?? 45 rim diameter is smaller - rim thickness is same or close - should work as is? Magazine tube is same -
    I dont understand why he would want to do this but it should be easy - action siderails should be different but I wouldnt bet on that either

I will yield to you lever guys on that. Maybe that's all it would take. I did rebarrel a Win 92 with a Rossi barrel once

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I will yield to you lever guys on that. Maybe that's all it would take. I did rebarrel a Win 92 with a Rossi barrel once

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    If that winchester was a bit tired I would expect you might have to take one thread off the barrel to get the headspace right - most of em need about a half turn but with dovetails already cut - it needs a full turn to orient the barrel - one more thread, turn the shoulder back to match, deepen the chamber a touch? otherwise just screw the new one and wear some headspace ...... would work.

Part of my reasoning on the easy changeover is manufacturing expediency - the cartridges are close in dimensions - Rossi also made (or still make??) a 44/40 version thats even closer - done right the action should handle all three as well as 38/40 without messing with the innards. If not it would be the 45colt that was odd man out.

I really am mystified why though - 44 mag should do anything the other will

Boolit Master

Best to contact the expert on Rossi rifles, http://stevesgunz.com/. He may have any parts you need and can tell you what will and wont work.