Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New marlin 1894 cs 357.

Boolit Master

New marlin 1894 cs 357.

Last monday, I purchased a new Remlin 1894cs .357 from my LGS, that I asked them to look for. I inspected it and, except for the finish on the wood, it looked good. The wood looked like a nice piece of walnut with very little finish on it. The wood to metal fit was in line with my JM Marlins, the bore looked good. I took it to the range, it shot my Lee 358158rnfp over 8gr AA#5 load (which is my go to load for shooting .357 for targets etc) very well. I took it to the range today and shot the LY 358429 single loaded over 13 gr Lil gun, mag primer, and an aluminum plain base gc from Sage Outdoors quite well. I shot all my groups at 50 yds but I am very happy with the accuracy of this gun. I did place 2 coats of boiled linseed oil on the stock, which made a huge difference, and made it look like a 650$ gun. Because we had rain last week, and I forgot how long it takes for BLO to dry, I couldn't shoot it for a while.

That is good to hear. I've handled the birch stock matte finish 336's at Academy and Walmart and the fit looked fine. I'd probably buy one if I was looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    I'm happy to hear that you liked your new Marlin. I also have one of the new 1894C's and I couldn't be happier. It looks good and is very accurate.

Steve in N CA

I will buy one if they bring out a 41 magnum. I better not hold my breath.

Boolit Master

Went to the range again today- love the way this gun feels and shoots. Since I put a little more oil on the wood, looks really nice. I've put 125-150 rnds downrange all told, action is slicking up I'm very happy with this rifle. I'm just posting this to give a report on my experience for those that need info.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Same here. I also sent a message to Anthony Imperato of Henry in why no weather series 41. Still prefer true SS and not some finish, but I gets what I can gets.

Boolit Master

One last thing, (AFAIK), this gun shoots and feeds LY 358429 well at oal of 1.580 which is crimp at forward edge of front driving band in .357 brass. The above report was with the same boolit loaded longer and single loaded I see I didn't say that above. I plan to hunt with this load, so it's good that it feeds well so I don't have to single load. The 13gr Lil GUN is no where near max so I don't see how seating deeper will get me into trouble.

Boolit Master

After running about 30 rnds out of it with LY 358429 loaded "short" I have concluded that it feeds well but is not anywhere near as consistently accurate as it is loaded crimped in the crimp groove (1.660). May single load for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Henry has a 41mag in their Big Boy Steel.

Nothing against Henry but I'd rather have a Marlin. I know they mqde .41s in the past but they are very expensive when found.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Henry has a 41mag in their Big Boy Steel.
    I’ve got one. It’s a very serviceable rifle. Feeds well, accurate enough. I have a few gripes but I’ll leave that be for right now. The weather series is the same as the steel guns but is coated. It’s not true stainless steel.