Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Decapping 416 Rigby

Boolit Buddy

Decapping 416 Rigby

I always decap my brass and then SS pin tumble before resizing. I cannot decap 416 Rigby cases in my Lee Universal Dcapping Die as they are to large to enter the die. Decapping with a hammer and punch is a PITA. Is there a decapping die made for large cases?

Boolit Master

Shotgun loader?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    From the quick research I did over at thefiringline, the diameter of the 416 Rigby would leave very little die body left for a standard 7/8in universal decapping die. I don't understand that one with RCBS offering 7/8in die sets. One guys solution was to buy a 50bmg press and 1-1/4in die. The other guys solution was to use the full length sizing or neck sizing die with the decapping pin and tumble after. I do this with 223 cases as long as they are lubed enough with no ill effects. I cant say what the difference might be with such a large case though.

Boolit Grand Master

There are hand decappers available that work very well. I believe Frankfurt arsenal offers one as does distant thunder and cpa. a simple hand held tool that only decaps the cases. There is also the pope style.

I have made a couple using hardware store items. copper tubing and joints. Cold rolled rods and other pieces parts. If interested in a doit yourself project PM me. Ill be happy to walk you thru it. Basically a foot of copper tubing 2 caps 1 elbow, a length of 3/16 cold rolled round stock a .060 dowel pin. Tools required are few pipe cutter, files, 3/16 drill and drill press, propane torch , solder, flux, tin snips.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried calling Lee? Other option is to use a dowel and emery cloth to open open the die body, only need about .025, and although the die body would be thin it is steel and should have sufficient strength.

Boolit Master
    RCBS makes a universal decapping die call them to see if it will work on 416 Rigby

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=4296;4469487]I always decap my brass and then SS pin tumble before resizing. I cannot decap 416 Rigby cases in my Lee Universal Dcapping Die as they are to large to enter the die. Decapping with a hammer and punch is a PITA. Is there a decapping die made for large cases?[/QUOTE

You are trying to do things that are out of the design procedure of all of the reloading die manufacturers. If you want to proceed with "your" methods, then I would suggest cleaning with the SS pin tumble with the primers left in the case. Then resize and remove the primers. Then use a primer pocket cleaning brush or tool and blow out the debris in the primer hole. Then add powder and seat projectiles and crimp. Doing it this way protects the primer pocket from dings from the SS pins, and they don't get in the primer hole anyway to clean it.

Boolit Master
    I've had the same problem with large cases so I made a universal decapping die out of a 6" long piece of 1" X 13/16" aluminum tubing threaded 1" x 14 to fit my RCBS bushing. I made a threaded cap to hold the decapping rod made from 1/4" rod threaded to hold an inside neck sizing button and standard decapping pin. Works on all my big/long cases.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

See the SLM tools here:
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloadin...epriming-tools

Most all the big BPCR shooters use a variation of them at the range to de-prime/toss in mason jar of soapy water.
    40-65 Rod oughta do it

Boolit Grand Master

One other plus to the hand held plier type deprimers is the stroke is only 1/4"-3/8'" not the full length of the press being used.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    RCBS makes a universal decapping die call them to see if it will work on 416 Rigby
    Don't need to call RCBS, used the RCBS this morning to de-prime .416 Rigby with no problem. Not much room left but it does work.

Boolit Master
    My RCBS decapper is .700". The 416 will take up most of it but not all

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I made my own unversal decapping die ,fron a 7/8 x 14 grade five bolt . It was specificaly made to decap upto 500 x 3" NE . It wount do 22cals due to the spindle that holds the decapping pin ,but does every thing in between .The die body is not designed to do anything except locate the decapping rod so the internal dimensions are not important .Ive been loading large calibers on my Rockchucker mk1 for many years with no problems .