Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Walther P-22 Series Pistols

Boolit Grand Master

Walther P-22 Series Pistols

Also posted in the "Rimfire" site area........

Has anyone here had any experience with the Walther P-22 series pistols? Marie is intrigued with the design and appearance, and wants a compact 22 LR autoloader that doesn't act balky like her SIG Mosquito did when new. (1200 rounds later, it learned some manners--but still is fussy about ammo). All comments positive and negative are welcome. Thank you!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Both are ZAMAC alloy pistols. I’ve, personally, had better luck out of the Smith M&P 22 line. I still have my P22 I bought 10 years ago but rarely shoot it any longer. Brass ejection in the face, FTF/F, etc. If she wants something lightweight consider a Ruger 22/45!Lite.

When it is running good, it’s a hoot however.

Boolit Buddy
    My P-22 ran great right out of the box. Only started to have problems when I started running a suppressor. After installing suppressor I started having to clean it every 3 to 4 hundred rounds because of the increased blow back of gases and powder because of the back pressure from the suppressor. A little lube goes a long way on .22 autos too much lube can attract more residue and cause more problems. The bolt face seems to be the area on mine that needs the most attention. If I don't clean it every 500 rds I will have ftf/fte problems. this is with the suppressor of course.

Boolit Master

I had one for a short time did not run that well for me but it could have been the Ammo it was my brothers told me to try it see if i like it
    I gave it back to him like my mark 2 slab side a lot
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    I think we are going to "pass" on the P-22 purchase. Folks have indicated that performance is a little uneven. We saw that movie with the SIG Mosquito, and don't want to sit through another screening of that sort. Ruger's 10/22 and 22/45 models REALLY spoil you with their tractability and reliability.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I bought a P22 not long after they came out. It jammed with many ammos and I sent it back to S&W. They corrected that problem. I had also inquired about the poor accuracy and the S&W response was that "these aren't target pistols". I can attest to that. Most inaccurate handgun I've ever owned. Perhaps later guns were improved.

Boolit Grand Master
    The ones I’ve shot have definitely been the limitation in the accuracy department.

When my ability to shoot a group standing unsupported offhand exceeds that of the pistol(as with this model) there is something wrong with the pistol.

A decent rim fire pistol’s inherent accuracy should exceed my ability to shoot it in this fashion. This model does not.

Boolit Master
    i suggest you try the Walther ppq .22. It is made of much higher quality materials and actually eats! Great gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    i suggest you try the Walther ppq .22. It is made of much higher quality materials and actually eats! Great gun.
    The PPQ cannot come into California, per Cal-DOJ.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post

I hope the evolution of the PP line has improved because it is a fun gun when it works.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Walter P-22 for as long as I've had a Ruger SR-22. Both are handy, compact, and (mine at least) functions mostly flawlessly. Occasionally it finds ammo it doesn't like, but many rimfire semi-autos have that quality. The longer "target" barrel is not worth the additional length. But I'd recommend it if it fits her hand. Also have the Sig P-22 and had an M&P-22. Had. Didn't like the S&W at all. You might want to also try the Bersa Thunder 22, an exact same-size as the Bersa Thunder 380.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Groo here
    The ruger verson of the Walther 22 seems to be better if the net can be believed.
    My walther is good enough to carry if I had a mind to,just be sure to use name brand "High speed" ammo....

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the first one I saw, 4 digit serial number. One mag gave feeding problems. Understand the newer mags work better. Never put it on paper but shot a few gophers withou much trouble.

I've owned several over the years and still have one of the early ones. I keep it around for kids and new shooters. There are numerous better .22 pistols out there. I've never seen one I'd describe as "accurate", but they can at least be mostly reliable if you figure which magazines are causing the problems.

Boolit Master
    Have her check Rugers SR-22 pistols. They run great with any 22 lr ammo.

Boolit Master
    I loved the feel of the Walther, but mine was a lemon. It’s been so long I don’t remember all of the problems except for it literally falling apart.

I happily lost $100 when I sold it.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE