Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vectan A0 & GM3 load data

Boolit Buddy

Vectan A0 & GM3 load data

As usual I got sucked into no hazmat sale at https://www.natchezss.com.

I have a big problem with purchasing new powders that i havent tried yet. I just like to play around with different powders so I keep buying new ones all the time. This time i found Vectan powders on sale for about $14.50 for 0.5kg or roughly 1.1lb so i ordered 4 bottles. Ends up being around $13/lb so you cant beat that price considering my local Bass Pro is selling Hodgon at $30+ /lb.

Now the only problem is load data. These are actually two different powders from two different factories one Italian on French. GM3 is fine grain powder with burn rate around HP38 while A0 is a flake powder with slower burn rate around Herco/Longshot.

My plan is to use GM3 in 9mm and go from there maybe some 38S, 40SW, 45acp. Sounds like i should be able to start around 3.5gr and go up from there to I'm guessing around 4gr which is my HP38 load.

A0 I want to use in 357Mag and 10mm to start. I'm not sure where my starting load for these should be just yet.

Yes I googled and i have their official Vectan load data PDF but GM3 is listed as shotgun powder so no official handgun load data but i see many positive reviews just not much load data.

If anyone can help me with starting loads for these i would appreciate the help since these are new to me.

Boolit Master

I have not used GM3 yet but I like A0, A1, and AS. For A0 I use Herco starting data and work up or down as needed.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

First of all both these powder are fast shotgun types. Load data is available from Vectan.

The Vectan GM3 is NOT the same as the Italian (SNIA) GM3! I've used many pounds of the SNIA version over the years with good results and I am currently down to my last pound or so have bought some of the vectan version. The first difference is the colour; the SNIA powder is light grey whereas the Vectan is black. The next thing I checked was volumetric density, the Vectan GM3 is denser than the SNIA so you must not use the same powder measure settings!

Currently I have only been loading Vectan GM3 and AS in .308 win.

150gr. Lee. GM3, 11.5gr, 1615 fps and sub moa accuracy.
    AS, 10gr. 1402fps.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Master
    I've just recently bought a supply of Vectan AO to use with cast loads in 30-06 and 30-40, and can report that 12.5gr with a couple of 175gr bullets in 06 shoot great. I am also going to try in a 32-20 and will most likely use Herco starter load data.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    First of all both these powder are fast shotgun types. Load data is available from Vectan.

The Vectan GM3 is NOT the same as the Italian (SNIA) GM3! I've used many pounds of the SNIA version over the years with good results and I am currently down to my last pound or so have bought some of the vectan version. The first difference is the colour; the SNIA powder is light grey whereas the Vectan is black. The next thing I checked was volumetric density, the Vectan GM3 is denser than the SNIA so you must not use the same powder measure settings!

AS, 10gr. 1402fps.
    Thats good to know. Having the same name GM3 for a powder made in two different plants is just asking for trouble. I'm assuming this is why I'm seeing mismatched reports on this powder. Some claim that its about the same burn speed as HP38/W231 but other sources claim that it burns a bit faster similar to Promo and red dot. This is why i wanted to ask first I figured someone would have some relevant info so thank you for that.

Boolit Master
    Based on my experience with GM3 in 9mm and 40 I suggest you treat it like Bullseye until proven otherwise.

Here’s something I found from some Italian reloading site for 38 special loads. If you poke around I think other calibers are available too. http://www.armerialsa.it/ricarica%2038%20sp.htm

Here’s 40: http://www.armerialsa.it/ricarica%2040sw.htm
    Last edited by Elkins45; 10-07-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    As usual I got sucked into no hazmat sale at https://www.natchezss.com.

I have a big problem with purchasing new powders that i havent tried yet. I just like to play around with different powders so I keep buying new ones all the time. This time i found Vectan powders on sale for about $14.50 for 0.5kg or roughly 1.1lb so i ordered 4 bottles. Ends up being around $13/lb so you cant beat that price considering my local Bass Pro is selling Hodgon at $30+ /lb.

Now the only problem is load data. These are actually two different powders from two different factories one Italian on French. GM3 is fine grain powder with burn rate around HP38 while A0 is a flake powder with slower burn rate around Herco/Longshot.

My plan is to use GM3 in 9mm and go from there maybe some 38S, 40SW, 45acp. Sounds like i should be able to start around 3.5gr and go up from there to I'm guessing around 4gr which is my HP38 load.

A0 I want to use in 357Mag and 10mm to start. I'm not sure where my starting load for these should be just yet.

Yes I googled and i have their official Vectan load data PDF but GM3 is listed as shotgun powder so no official handgun load data but i see many positive reviews just not much load data.

If anyone can help me with starting loads for these i would appreciate the help since these are new to me.
    much experience with GM3. I have found it to be excellent with 38sp, 357Mag and 45LC. I posted some of my results on this site so search and it's there somewhere.

A0 I have on my shelf for more trials. Most of the information I have found is Italian but I've found it to be pretty good. Vectan.fr will give you starting loads with A0 but GM3 is harder to find but it's out there.

Play with this sight http://www.tiropratico.com/ammunition/menu/index.htm Go to the "Grande Database" button and choose the caliber. Be careful to use grains NOT grams. I've found the information to be spot on.

Elkins45 lists another site I used for starting data and again, I found it to be accurate. Always approach loads with caution, -10% yada yada

With all due respect to our American Manu's, Vectan is fantastic powder and takes a back set to none. The price is very good, too.
    Last edited by jonp; 10-07-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    With all due respect to our American Manu's, Vectan is fantastic powder and takes a back set to none. The price is very good, too.
    I bought six 1kg bottles of GM3 back when Grafs offered free hazmat on it. I think I paid around $14/bottle--that's a bargain!

GM3 is a granular powder that's very bulky. It's a great choice for loading on a progressive because it flows very well and it's likely to overflow the case if you accidentally double charge it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

Now the only problem is load data. These are actually two different powders from two different factories one Italian on French.

Yes, but if you go to the Italian site it will reference you to the French one and vice versa for more load information which leads me to believe they are either the same powder or close enough to not matter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post

AS, 10gr. 1402fps.
    SNIA is an older version of the new GM3 and slightly slower is what I read. Have you found that to me true? The SNIA came in a yellow tin?
    Since it is denser if you load by weight not volume would it be the same as in loading Promo vs Red Dot?