RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

Boolit Master

Not being an AR follower, all this is really confusing to me. I know the basics between the AR15 and AR10 platform, but all these variations of the 223/5.56 muddy up the waters. Then you throw in the magazines.

I can understand the passion of the AR followers in their quest to find the perfect cartridge.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Not being an AR follower, all this is really confusing to me. I know the basics between the AR15 and AR10 platform, but all these variations of the 223/5.56 muddy up the waters. Then you throw in the magazines.
    The magazines are my main issue w/ a lot of the wildcats. I don’t want to have to use different mags. I don’t want to have to worry about mixing up mags. I don’t want to have to worry about grabbing the wrong mags. I don’t wan to modify the mags. If it doesn’t work in a stock 223/5.56 mag I’m not interested.

I understand wanting to get the most out of a platform. Especially w/ the weight difference between the AR15 and AR10. But at some point it’s best to buy another rifle that will do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    to me it makes sense if you are adventurous in your thought processing. I believe it is all about the specific powder he is using (and I can buy that) and the 15 inch twist ( which I will spend at least and likely more for a barrel) barrel which they make. Ok, these ar,s are a money trap but if you get caught in the trap why stop? I simply will go buy another rifle on a whim and still wonder how the Ham'r really does perform. So I am in unless a better solution catches me! ( remember it is all about the trap) Hey, its America and at least we can do these things!!!
    Exactly right. It's not a life-changing event if you buy an AR barrel that ends up not being exactly what you wanted. No reason not to go for it. I'd do it if I wasn't already covering both ends of the .30 spectrum with the Blackout and American 30 (which, by the way, is a phenomenal shooter but a bigger investment in time and money).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You guys know a 30-223 won't fit or function in a standard AR15 mag, right? Neither will the 7.62x40 WT. Will the Hammr?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The HAM'R will fit in standard magazines. The COAL is shorter than 2.260"
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

150 Gold Dot bullets @ 2200 fps That's a pretty hot load. I'm running 145gr cast to 2100 and P.P. doesn't last but a couple reloads.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    The HAM'R will fit in standard magazines. The COAL is shorter than 2.260"
    the oal isnt the problem, they will fit, but they wont stack properly in a standard magazine. its really no issue, as either the 300pmag or the 300lancer mags run right around the same price as the other mags. thus far ive only fired maybe 180rnds thru my ham'r, but pretty happy with what ive gotten.

I use a 185gr RD style and BO Lancer mags, no problem.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

I read the article and it reminded me of the 80's argument of how a 14" TC in 30-30 is better than a 94 as you can use pointed bullets. Load two 150 gr spitzer, one in the chamber and one in the magazine and you're there. LeveRrevolution powder and newer loads have made the argument stale with the 30-30 comparison. I have long lived by the creed "one shot, one deer, two shots maybe one deer, three shots, no deer". I recognize hog hunting may allow you multiple shots at more than one target but I believe that will be difficult with aimed fire. The instance when most of us will need a quick follow up can usually be done with a lever. The 300 Hamr seems to serve a very small niche with a developer that has no interest in taking it to a level where it is distributed on a national basis. For most of us it fits Jeff Coopers quite on DA autos. "An interesting solution to a non-existent problem".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Should be better than 223 for yotes.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Should be better than 223 for yotes.
    Nope. Spotlighting coyotes you don't want over penetration or ricochets. Unless you're using 85 gr hp in that Hamr, the .223 will be better. And yes, I've killed a dozen or four coyotes.

Boolit Master

I have four ARs. Two in .223 that I rarely ever use, one in .450 Bushmaster that goes with me every time in the woods, and one that is just an AR10 lower at this point, but will be turned into a hunting rifle. I've never even considered turning an AR-15 into a serious hunting rifle. With the very inexpensive AR10 style lowers these days, it seems starting out with a platform that can handle appropriate calibers is much smarter and much less expensive that trying to create franken rifles using expensive and exotic calibers.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

problem with that is for a lot of us an ar10 is just a tank to haul around all day. Even my 50 beo because it needs a bigger tube is quite a bit heavier then a standard ar15. I think the goal for most here is finding a round powerful enough to kill cleanly in a light package. At least in my opinion the bo comes up a bit short in power unless all your shots are at 50 yards. Its closer in power to a 30 carbine or 357 lever gun then it is a 3030.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I have four ARs. Two in .223 that I rarely ever use, one in .450 Bushmaster that goes with me every time in the woods, and one that is just an AR10 lower at this point, but will be turned into a hunting rifle. I've never even considered turning an AR-15 into a serious hunting rifle. With the very inexpensive AR10 style lowers these days, it seems starting out with a platform that can handle appropriate calibers is much smarter and much less expensive that trying to create franken rifles using expensive and exotic calibers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    problem with that is for a lot of us an ar10 is just a tank to haul around all day. Even my 50 beo because it needs a bigger tube is quite a bit heavier then a standard ar15. I think the goal for most here is finding a round powerful enough to kill cleanly in a light package.
    Seems that lightweight and handy AR10s exist as both NIB and do-it-yourself builds...

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...ii-308-hunter/

The rifle as a whole is indeed very lightweight for a .308 AR, and when I first picked it up it felt almost no different in weight or dimensions to a typical .223 AR. In fact the standard DPMS GII weighs only 0.75 pounds more than a comparable .223 AR. Yet, despite the reduced weight, DPMS also claims it has reduced recoil over other .308 ARs.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/03/1...-ar-hog-rifle/

The entire package (including the optic and minus the magazine) is 9.6lbs, which is stunningly light for a full accessorized and scoped .308. In fact I have several AR15s which are that heavy with the optics on. So it is light, easy to maneuver, packs 20-round of .308 in a semi-auto format, and shoots with very little recoil/shooter fatigue. This build not only hit the goals my experts and I had, it killed the goals exceeding everything I had hoped for.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

yup a ar10 with a scope under 10lbs is amazing. mine weighted more then that stripped.

Banned
    When the 30 Remington (AR) way outperforms this, is factory loaded and available in AR uppers, why would I want this ?

125 gr (8 g) Corelokt 2,800 ft/s (850 m/s) 2,176 ft⋅lbf

Banned

Im sure that velocity is a generous number that was acquired with a 24 inch or longer barrel and probably using powders we cant buy. Sorry but I don't buy it in a 16 inch ar. A 308 has a much bigger powder capacity and needs to be pushed fairly hard to accomplish that in a 16 inch barrel. You can talk efficiency all day long but ive been loading for 50 years and have yet to see a smaller capacity case that will out perform a larger capacity case at the same pressure level. My 22 inch Kimber 308 will do 2950 with a 130 speer and a MAX load. Its a load I wouldn't beat an ar10 up with. theres not a chance in H&&& that a 30 rem is going to outperform a 308. Aint happening and you will never convince me that a 308 will outperform a 3006 either because of some mystical case shape.

Banned
    Regardless, it whups the 30 Hammer and there are actually rifles, uppers and ammo for sale.

Boolit Master

just some first hand info. ive loaded and chrono'd a bunch for the ham'r at this time. 125gr jacketed from 2200 to a bit over 2800fps. 2800 is too hot for sure, but ive settled on my loads at 2600fps from a 18" barrel. there's bigger and badder cartridges out there for sure, but 5.56 brass is free, just have to pick it up.

Banned

yup uppers and ammo is available but its hard to find. At least with the hammer its easy to make your own brass. Readily available brass means a heck of a lot more to me then being able to buy some 20 round boxes of ammo for 30 bucks. Nothing wrong with the 30 rem and the 6.8 either if brass was cheap and easy to come by. Im in the process of building a 300 bo right now. Its not what i really want as it will do double duty as a deer hunting gun and id prefer a bit more power but my wallet tells me for at least now its the only logical choice. At least if a guy wants to actually shoot it like an ar on occasion. If that wasn't a factor id just buy another bolt action 308.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    Regardless, it whups the 30 Hammer and there are actually rifles, uppers and ammo for sale.

Banned
    FYI there a 4 for sale on the net and Buds has plenty of ammo.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast