MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

Nothing against the 357AR but doesn't the .50 Beowulf use a standard bolt? I thought it was the biggest baddest AR15 round.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Nothing against the 357AR but doesn't the .50 Beowulf use a standard bolt? I thought it was the biggest baddest AR15 round.
    But don't you at least have to open up the ejection port? The bolt face recess is also .136 inches vs the standard .125.

Banned

I would love to see a factory 30 that is simply a 223 necked to 30. Id buy one in a heart beat. Had a 762x39 which ballisticly is pretty close but it didn't feed for **** in an AR. 223 brass is cheap and I don't want to cut it fire form it ect. Just open it up and load it and no separate magazines or altered magazines. Yes I know the BO brass can be bought now but I have 10s of thousands of 556 brass already and don't want to buy more brass or process it. All I want is a good 200 yard max deer gun on an ar. Hate to ruffle feathers but I think the bo comes up a bit short for that purpose. Maybe a 100 but bottom line is your getting 30 carbine ballistics out of a bo that that's pretty borderline whitetail medicine.

Boolit Buddy

Well I now think I need a 300 HAM'R, yeah its close to many other calibers from what I am reading here but I reload and haven't ever been a big fan of mainstream AR's. I have a extra lower so I think it might be a hammer in the near future.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    I don't know, no real point. .308 simply outclasses it in all categories.

Besides, if we DO need a new .30 caliber catridge with a small case capacity, why don't we simply take a 22 hornet, and straight wall it. And then I can have a case I KNOW would be perfectly fine for running with 80-120 grain pistol bullets at 1,000 fps
    1. It's not a question of trying to equal the .308

2. Since when is Hornet brass to be had for next to nothing and a lot of the time free to be had at the local range.

3. .223/5.56 brass doesn't fold up like a hormonal teenager when you look at it wrong.

4. Any of these .223/5.56 based .30 caliber cartridges are perfectly fine with light pistol bullets at 1K fps.

5. I'm having a hard time figuring out you can "outclass" the .308 with a .30/.22 Hornet.

6. Since the thread was based on use in the AR, not really sure how a .30/.22 Hornet would figure into the discussion to start with.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There’s only one I’m interested in, 358 Yeti. And even though I’m on their mailing list I never receive an email when they have barrels in stock.
    Looks they are in stock now.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Buddy

YUP YUP I'm building one as soon as I can pull the trigger on the barrel dies and checker!! Would be nice if someone else made the barrel besides Wilson I'm sure its a great barrel but Wilson is pretty proud of there stuff $$. Might even take the HAM'r for a spin at 3 gun next summer just for fun.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Grand Master

WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Looks they are in stock now.
    Their store is still showing zero stock for the barrels.

Boolit Master
    Those 15 twist barrels are intriguing, to say the least. I'm just wondering if the throat will accommodate something like the RCBS 30-165-SIL.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge about these barrels and cast?
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master
    You could probably just make up a barrel in 30 Apache (30-223) for your AR15. Probably be restricted to lighter weight bullets (125's or so) to fit magazine length. You could also trim back the neck a little bit for bullet clearance if needed

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Those 15 twist barrels are intriguing, to say the least. I'm just wondering if the throat will accommodate something like the RCBS 30-165-SIL.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge about these barrels and cast?
    No first had knowledge on a 15 twist but I had a 12 twist on my 20" blackout and it shot everything I fed it 200 grs and under very well . I would bet the 15 would do well also
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

You guys know a 30-223 won't fit or function in a standard AR15 mag, right? Neither will the 7.62x40 WT. Will the Hammr?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You guys know a 30-223 won't fit or function in a standard AR15 mag, right? Neither will the 7.62x40 WT. Will the Hammr?

use the 300BO specific mags.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    use the 300BO specific mags.
    Best answer, however as long as you don't load to the maximum number of rounds my 7.62x40WT will work with standard mags. Also if one slightly reduces the rib height in the plastic mags, they work fine at rated capacity.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

But isn't the .30-223 too long with any weight bullet for the AR 15 mag? Sorry to seem dense, but if it would fit - it seems like we'd all be using it instead of the BO,WT, or whatever.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The blunter bullets up to about 125 will fit. 7TCU with the Lee 7mm will fit standard mags, almost built one a while back, still contemplating it.

Remember, the Whisper/BLK was created to fill a defined role and ended up being useful several different ways. If the military hadn't picked it up, I seriously doubt it would be of the scale it is today. The full length .223 conversions started way back in the 1970's among Single Shot pistol geeks for silhouette shooting. If the Contender and handgun hunting phenomenon hadn't happened, pretty sure that all the TCU's, the 30 WCF widcats, etc., would be virtually unknown among the general shooting populous.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    I don't know, no real point. .308 simply outclasses it in all categories.

Besides, if we DO need a new .30 caliber catridge with a small case capacity, why don't we simply take a 22 hornet, and straight wall it. And then I can have a case I KNOW would be perfectly fine for running with 80-120 grain pistol bullets at 1,000 fps
    Straight wall 22 hornet is called a 270 Ren. I don't think you would get it up to 30 caliber. I think you are thinking of the 218 bee necked up which is a 32/20 and far from new.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Compared to the blackout, that thing will shine with 110-125 grain bullets. With 150's, not a big difference because much of the extra case capacity is eaten up by the bullet. For reference, I'm hunting with the blackout this year with 150 Gold Dot bullets @ 2200 fps. Realistically, the Ham'r will give you an extra 25 yard expansion window with the 150's, maybe 75 with the 110's. It's an obvious choice if you don't shoot subs and understand that you'll be reloading for it in a few years.

Banned

^^^ This makes sense

Boolit Master
    to me it makes sense if you are adventurous in your thought processing. I believe it is all about the specific powder he is using (and I can buy that) and the 15 inch twist ( which I will spend at least and likely more for a barrel) barrel which they make. Ok, these ar,s are a money trap but if you get caught in the trap why stop? I simply will go buy another rifle on a whim and still wonder how the Ham'r really does perform. So I am in unless a better solution catches me! ( remember it is all about the trap) Hey, its America and at least we can do these things!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast