MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

The AR15 class of cartridges grows by increments daily but they've already bumped the ceiling- magazine length. They all are "almost" something else...still not a 22-250, still not a 30-30, still not a 6.5 Japanese, 45-70 etc.
    Ain't it fun?
    I want a 6.5 Grendel next- I have no idea why!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    First off, "What you hear here, is the opinion of the speaker only !" But to me it seems like Bill is spinning his wheels. I'm still doing my research, but I don't see what 1mm of brass ((from 7.62X40 WT)to 300Ham'r(7.62X41)) is going to make a difference to justify all the hype. Can a twist rate change make such a significant increase in velocity to make a difference ? Or is 7.62X40 WT just not sounding as COOL as 300 HAM'R ? I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, and I'm not a number cruncher, so somebody may have to explain this to me with crayons so I can understand. I just don't see the difference.
    I'm in agreement, I think it is a marketing ploy as 1mm more of case over the 7.62x40WT isn't really much. BTW, I own a 7.62x40 and it is a fun little round to shoot using cast. I even chambered a barrel in it for my CPA using reformed .357 Max. brass in order to have a rim for extraction.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

How does the 300 HAM'R compare to the 30 BRX or Dasher?

1mm more of case over the 7.62x40WT isn't really much. yes, don't see any difference. i push 145gr PB to almost 2200 & MOA, not quite 30/30 but I have 3/30 & 308W anyway.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

30 RAR is a little more but probably would not feed from 223 magazines. Have never seen one, but liked the idea of the RAR. Too many say a cartridge that almost equals the 30/30 is sure to replace the 30/30. In my opinion a cartridge needs to push a .308-150 grain bullet at least 2400 fps to better the 30/30. Almost is not enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    Seeing as I have a few .30/30’s, if I want that level of performance, I will use them. The FTX bullets allow the old .30/30 to perform better at longer ranges for hunting. And if typical cast bullets are going to be used in a .30 cal AR, it offers nothing over the .30/30....but I may be missing something.

I doubt 100 fps one way or the other is a game changer.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Seems every day is another AR ammo we just have to rush out and buy. How many of them will we still be able to buy in a year or 2?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Seems every day is another AR ammo we just have to rush out and buy. How many of them will we still be able to buy in a year or 2?
    You can’t buy the large majority of them now. If you don’t reload then you can’t shoot it. There’s only one I’m interested in, 358 Yeti. And even though I’m on their mailing list I never receive an email when they have barrels in stock. They never have them in stock. Same for the 357 AR and most of their other offerings. Availability of parts/ammo is a problem when it’s new let alone a few years down the line.

Boolit Master

as reloaders, new cartridges like the 300ham'r , 277wolverine, etc (actually a whole slew of others) that were created off the .223/5.56 casing should pose no problems. as long as the parent brass is available, make it yourself. if a new cartridge doesnt give you a warm fuzzy, dont buy one. wait a few minutes and another new one will be along.

Boolit Master
    I dont think its as simple as can be made from 5.56. Most do not reload, so unless you can readily buy the ammo and rifles it won't last long. If ammo is murder to get, people wont buy the rifles, nor will shops stock them. They will wait for the demand that may never materialize. Gun owners sitting back waiting for shops to have stuff to buy. And 2 years from now, 300hamr is some exotic reload only kind of thing. Its sold as basically a 30-30, yea and, guarantee most of us already have a 30-30 that kills hogs fine. And the Hamr is not a subsonic thing, where 300BO goes both ways and is way easier to buy.

This is wilson combat now, they will want to keep the barrels as a proprietary thing, which will restrict supply. Plus they will not be cheap, further depressing demand. How long will remington support an ammo they cant move? How many of their own ammos have they dumped after a few years?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I dont think its as simple as can be made from 5.56. Most do not reload, so unless you can readily buy the ammo and rifles it won't last long. If ammo is murder to get, people wont buy the rifles, nor will shops stock them. They will wait for the demand that may never materialize. Gun owners sitting back waiting for shops to have stuff to buy. And 2 years from now, 300hamr is some exotic reload only kind of thing. Its sold as basically a 30-30, yea and, guarantee most of us already have a 30-30 that kills hogs fine. And the Hamr is not a subsonic thing, where 300BO goes both ways and is way easier to buy.

This is wilson combat now, they will want to keep the barrels as a proprietary thing, which will restrict supply. Plus they will not be cheap, further depressing demand. How long will remington support an ammo they cant move? How many of their own ammos have they dumped after a few years?
    it is as simple as it can be made from .223, ive got a pile here ive been making. if i wasnt a handloader, i wouldnt touch it with a 10' pole.

Boolit Buddy
    Instead of this, just go with the 357AR designed by moleman! That cartridge is not "almost" anything. If I'm not mistaken, it's the biggest, hardest hitting round that can be put in a standard AR without any mods to the bolt. There's no way to neck up to anything larger!

Plus your 357 mag dies can load it like a straight walled pistol case. I've always dreamed of a 30 carbine rifle, and I love 357 Magnum, and this is essentially their love child. I can't wait to actually get some loaded up and tested.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...-62x40-wt.html
    They are around. Or rent a reamer for BO barrel. Run a BO reamer ~ 0.2 deeper if you want the BO throat. No reason it won't shoot subs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

just think, without all the new choices. we'd be driving model T fords, shooting flintlock rifles or worse, and no one would have anything to biatch about! LOL

Well I do shoot a flintlock and I would drive a model T if I had the chance . Lol
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Well I do shoot a flintlock and I would drive a model T if I had the chance . Lol
    you are not the only one, but most seem to forget they can have mutiple choices. anybody wants to see the anal retentive crowd try and cut down something they them selves dont care for only have to go up a few sections and find the creedmore thread. i like having more choices available, but just because someone comes out with something new doesnt mean i have to have one. life would truly be boring if we all listened to the it doesnt do this, or that crowd.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    I don't know, no real point. .308 simply outclasses it in all categories.

Besides, if we DO need a new .30 caliber catridge with a small case capacity, why don't we simply take a 22 hornet, and straight wall it. And then I can have a case I KNOW would be perfectly fine for running with 80-120 grain pistol bullets at 1,000 fps

make it, and see if people like it. my guess is like every new cartridge you would get 1000 negative comments of how it sucks, to every one that likes it.

Vendor Sponsor

differences are the spice of life.. get what YOU like and don't worry about others opinions of what YOU like
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    differences are the spice of life.. get what YOU like and don't worry about others opinions of what YOU like
    amen.

Boolit Master
    I said something at the local gunshop today about the 300hamr, never even heard of it. So not like they are going to stock it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast