RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationGraf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

Banned
    FYI there a 4 for sale on the net and Buds has plenty of ammo.

Spotlighting coyotes I understand, never shot one but a friend has, hits them and they keep on trucking. Problem solved anyway but even a dog or pig needs to die quickly. Anyway, my take on Wilson is he is optimizing the 223 for 30 cal ( & others) for various purposes. The Ham'r is just the max length of a 223 case cut without getting into the shoulder. I've tried expanding the neck (annealed good) to make the BO - really hard to do without neck splits. He also changed the twist and changed the chamber a bit. Go for it. He's also doing a 458 Ham'r?
    I have the AR10 carbine and rifle (way too heavy for field work, need to move it) plus the BO carbine and pistol - tune them for what I need. IMHO the Ham'r would be too much in a pistol.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Having a 7.62 x 40 WT, (which I like very much), I quickly looked into this "new" Wilson cartridge.

Looking at loading data between the two, 7.62 x 40 WT vs the 300 Hamr, it seems the HAMR is using on average, 1 more grain of powder than the 7.62x 40WT with same bullets.

The HAMR has the neck moved forward 1mm, as compared to the 7.62 x 40 WT.

BIG difference?....I doubt it.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting.

Boolit Master
    I was reading some articles about the 300 Ham'r and it seems that to get the performance they are touting, it has to be generating chamber pressures of 60,000 psi or more. That doesn't bode well for case life and reloading. Plus the locking lugs on the bolt and barrel is getting stressed even more too, So basically one could probably duplicate this performance by going over the maximum loads and chamber pressures in a 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I was reading some articles about the 300 Ham'r and it seems that to get the performance they are touting, it has to be generating chamber pressures of 60,000 psi or more. That doesn't bode well for case life and reloading. Plus the locking lugs on the bolt and barrel is getting stressed even more too, So basically one could probably duplicate this performance by going over the maximum loads and chamber pressures in a 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout too.
    you could probably get there with the 7.62x39, but due to its tapered case you would have signifigantly more bolt thrust. IMO the 300BO doesnt have enough case capacity to even get in the ballpark loaded hot.

What is wrong with the 30 Apache? Just expand 223 brass to 30 cal and you are ready to go

Watched some Hamr hog vids last nite. Comparing 6.5, Hamr with 150 gdots and 110s. Guy is going back to 110s. My guess, recoil for follow up @ 200 or so. Results on maybe 20-30 hogs, 110 in the Hamr compare favorably to 6.5, 150s, not so well. 223 trajectory with twice the bullet. 20 or so hogs WHEN he's out hunting, he's got a real problem.
    Whatever!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345