Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

Spotlighting coyotes I understand, never shot one but a friend has, hits them and they keep on trucking. Problem solved anyway but even a dog or pig needs to die quickly. Anyway, my take on Wilson is he is optimizing the 223 for 30 cal ( & others) for various purposes. The Ham'r is just the max length of a 223 case cut without getting into the shoulder. I've tried expanding the neck (annealed good) to make the BO - really hard to do without neck splits. He also changed the twist and changed the chamber a bit. Go for it. He's also doing a 458 Ham'r?
    I have the AR10 carbine and rifle (way too heavy for field work, need to move it) plus the BO carbine and pistol - tune them for what I need. IMHO the Ham'r would be too much in a pistol.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Having a 7.62 x 40 WT, (which I like very much), I quickly looked into this "new" Wilson cartridge.

Looking at loading data between the two, 7.62 x 40 WT vs the 300 Hamr, it seems the HAMR is using on average, 1 more grain of powder than the 7.62x 40WT with same bullets.

The HAMR has the neck moved forward 1mm, as compared to the 7.62 x 40 WT.

BIG difference?...….I doubt it.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I was reading some articles about the 300 Ham'r and it seems that to get the performance they are touting, it has to be generating chamber pressures of 60,000 psi or more. That doesn't bode well for case life and reloading. Plus the locking lugs on the bolt and barrel is getting stressed even more too, So basically one could probably duplicate this performance by going over the maximum loads and chamber pressures in a 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I was reading some articles about the 300 Ham'r and it seems that to get the performance they are touting, it has to be generating chamber pressures of 60,000 psi or more. That doesn't bode well for case life and reloading. Plus the locking lugs on the bolt and barrel is getting stressed even more too, So basically one could probably duplicate this performance by going over the maximum loads and chamber pressures in a 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout too.
    you could probably get there with the 7.62x39, but due to its tapered case you would have signifigantly more bolt thrust. IMO the 300BO doesnt have enough case capacity to even get in the ballpark loaded hot.

What is wrong with the 30 Apache? Just expand 223 brass to 30 cal and you are ready to go

Watched some Hamr hog vids last nite. Comparing 6.5, Hamr with 150 gdots and 110s. Guy is going back to 110s. My guess, recoil for follow up @ 200 or so. Results on maybe 20-30 hogs, 110 in the Hamr compare favorably to 6.5, 150s, not so well. 223 trajectory with twice the bullet. 20 or so hogs WHEN he's out hunting, he's got a real problem.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Barrels are currently on sale at shopwilsoncombat.com
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    And what do we think 5.56 NATO generates these days?

I load my 223 (for modern bolt guns) and 5.56 NATO for ARs to milsurp pressures which run 60,000+ psi (actually measured) and have excellent case life with LC brass.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Having a 7.62 x 40 WT, (which I like very much), I quickly looked into this "new" Wilson cartridge.

Looking at loading data between the two, 7.62 x 40 WT vs the 300 Hamr, it seems the HAMR is using on average, 1 more grain of powder than the 7.62x 40WT with same bullets.

The HAMR has the neck moved forward 1mm, as compared to the 7.62 x 40 WT.

BIG difference?...….I doubt it.
    Difference at this point is readily available barrels. 7.62x40 is 12 twist 300 Ham'r is 15 twist. That 15 twist is sure alluring for cast. And then the fun begins finding a boolit and powder/charge that would work well. Those fancy j-bullets get a little pricey after a bit.

Is there a difference between the 30-223 and the 300 hamr. I have a 30-223 bolt rifle, was wondering if ammo is interchangeable?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Is there a difference between the 30-223 and the 300 hamr. I have a 30-223 bolt rifle, was wondering if ammo is interchangeable?
    Case taper on the 300 Ham'r is straighter than 30-223, also case length and shoulder angle is different.

I doubt a 300 Ham'r would chamber in a 30-223.

A 30-223 might chamber in a 300 Ham'r, but neck length might cause a pressure problem when fired.

I would not try either.

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Case taper on the 300 Ham'r is straighter than 30-223, also case length and shoulder angle is different.

I doubt a 300 Ham'r would chamber in a 30-223.

A 30-223 might chamber in a 300 Ham'r, but neck length might cause a pressure problem when fired.

I would not try either.
    Can the 300 Hamr be made from 223 brass ?
    Last edited by brstevns; 12-27-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    I think some have tried making 300 Ham'r brass from 5.56/.223. I have no knowledge of how that worked.

New 300 Ham'r brass is available from Wilson and Starline. It might be available at some of the etailers, also. That is a whole lot easier.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    I think some have tried making 300 Ham'r brass from 5.56/.223. I have no knowledge of how that worked.

New 300 Ham'r brass is available from Wilson and Starline. It might be available at some of the etailers, also. That is a whole lot easier.
    ive made brass, its not overly difficult. not as easy as buying it already done though.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    ive made brass, its not overly difficult. not as easy as buying it already done though.
    What steps are needed?

Boolit Master

i expand the necks to 25 then 27 cal then run them through the 300hamr sizing die, trim and anneal. if a guy annealed first, at least one of those expanding steps could probably be skipped, but just my method.

I can't see it being any improvement over the 7.62x39 that I've gone with for a hunting AR. But to each his own, this is America and we have choices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I can't see it being any improvement over the 7.62x39 that I've gone with for a hunting AR. But to each his own, this is America and we have choices.

I guess 'we' won't know until 'we' try, eh?

Banned

Wonder why someone hasn't blown out a black out case to make a 300 bo imp. I know you wouldn't gain much but youd still have free or very cheap brass. You don't gain a lot over the bo as is if your talking pistol length guns anyway. Even the 308 out of a 9 inch barrel doesn't trounce a 300 bo out of the same. Just a huge fireball of unused powder. I had a bushmaster 762x39 and it was the hands down worse feeding ar15 ive ever fooled with. I tried c products mags, ak47 extra power mag springs and about even fix people suggested and it still rarely ran two mags in a row without a missfeed. I see psa is making a dedicated 762x39 lower that takes ak47 mags. That might be worth looking into. All said I have 3 300 bos now a 16 inch an 8.5 and a 7 inch gun. Ive killed deer out to 200 yards with the 16 inch gun and it did some impressive internal damage with the 110barnes. Maybe this is all about nothing as it doesn't need much improvement from what ive seen. If you want more theres allways the 6.5 Grendel which will be up and running tommarow if the mail is on time. Again though your buying brass and for the most part with that one are going to be buying bullets. so It will never replace my bos that with 130 rcbs cast bullets is cheaper to shoot then a 556 by a long shot and is sneaking close to my 9mm ars for inexpensive plinking.

Maybe they figured it out, Lloyd because my mutt by me AR 7.62x39 runs like a top with everything from CB loads to Tula/Wolf to my 123gr jacketed loads. I had a problem with seating depth with an ASC mag using Lee 150F but that's resolved. Perhaps its because I use only ten round mags. I have one C- products and two Midway/ ASC and they work great. Maybe a 7.62x39 IMP would win the boiler room contest. Aw heck, I'll just use it as it is- "almost a 30-30."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast