Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

Boolit Master

WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

I am excited about this baby! When my son led me into ar's I simply judged every cartridge to the 30-30. I really liked the AR's but to me it was a hunting rifle that I wanted and I could morally(considering my abilities) dispatch a animal at 300 yds and buy the cartridges in a store. I have enough wildcats for one life. I would love to see the gun rags ram this this cartridge down our throats as they did the 6.5 almost moore cartridge. This one to me has legit merit to be a very good round for the AR platform. Maybe I am too old school to be impressed but this one impresses me!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Pacific makes a reamer at 200 some bucks. If some one bought one I would rent it to chamber a barrel. If we took good care of it that could get alot of BO in the game (considering the twist). Wilson has the right twist in his barrel for sale but I cannot swing the price. But I do have some 12" twist barrels!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Here's a link;
    https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...m-r-cartridge/

125gr bullet @ 2561 fps from an 18" barrel.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    So how is this different than the 300 AAC BO and how does it compare to the 224 Valkyrie?

Just curious.

The 300 HAM'R drives a 150 gr bullet faster than the 300 AAC BO drives a 132 gr bullet by some 150 fps which translates to 33% more muzzle energy. It has more muzzle energy than the Valkyrie which drives a 80 gr bullet to 2886 fps. The HAM'R has the same case capacity as the 223 Remington. The Valkyrie has 10% more case capacity than the HAM'R.

That HAM'R looks like the way to go for the AR platform in 30 cal. The 6.8 SPC is still ballistically superior though but with a lighter bullet.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-04-2018 at 12:52 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Left to right: TAC30 (30Herrett AR (6.8 brass and 30 Herrett dies)), 300 Ham'r (7.62x41), 300 BLK

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	228204

Tac30 will do 2800 with 125's, Ham'r is 300 slower.

Looking at the 30 Herrett AR for jacketed, I personally don't need more than the BLK for shooting cast.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Looks like a cool round. But the 7.62x39 is so close with the same bullet weight.

Boolit Master

i dont normally jump on new cartridges, but this one got me. i ordered barrel, dies etc a month ago. probably be a while before i get a load worked up for it. here's the deal, if you want to shoot suppressed the blackout is the way to go. if you want basically a 30-30 in an ar that uses standard everything for parts, the hamr gets the nod. easy to find brass for converting ( no ones leaves tons of 7.62x39 boxer brass laying around), and it beats the 7.62x39 by a good enough margin that its not overlapping it, plus better bullet availability and choices for jacketed. im not selling it, or telling anyone else their reasons are right or wrong, just my take on it.

Is it a .30-.222? Does it fit in unaltered mags? Will it push a 150 gr 2000fps? I love my .300 BO but a bit closer to the holy 30-30 is very interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

its a 30-223. ideally run from a 300bo specific mag, and yes it is supposed to meet or exceed the 30-30.

Boolit Master
    My interest is to take a 130 gr and get 2700 fps. I can do this with one of my 30-30's (don't ask me how but it is with a vz24). That is nice 300 yard territory for me. I have a 300 BO and that is great for going slow, but this would give me a great jacket bullet performer and also with the twist let me play with lighter cast bullets which I do enjoy. For me it is a simple fix to reach 300 yards with a 30 caliber and hopefully successful so I can buy it off store shelves if so inclined.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    First off, "What you hear here, is the opinion of the speaker only !" But to me it seems like Bill is spinning his wheels. I'm still doing my research, but I don't see what 1mm of brass ((from 7.62X40 WT)to 300Ham'r(7.62X41)) is going to make a difference to justify all the hype. Can a twist rate change make such a significant increase in velocity to make a difference ? Or is 7.62X40 WT just not sounding as COOL as 300 HAM'R ? I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, and I'm not a number cruncher, so somebody may have to explain this to me with crayons so I can understand. I just don't see the difference.

Bravo Nun2. Popcorn
    Show me how either cartridge outperforms the 30/30 Winchester.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    its a 30-223. ideally run from a 300bo specific mag, and yes it is supposed to meet or exceed the 30-30.
    For the sake of clarity, it is NOT a 30-.223. It is a 7.62x 41. A "30-.223" would be 7.62x45. The cartridge of earliest origin by that configuration that I know of is the 30 Apache, a true 30-.223 made by simply necking out the brass to .30.

The 30 TCU (Thompson Center Ugalde) appeared on the scene in roughly the same period, done by the same guy that came up with the 6,6.5, and 7 TCU cartridges. I never have understood why the "Apache" stuck but the "TCU" did not, given the popularity of the smaller cartridges.
    Last edited by Hamish; 10-04-2018 at 07:24 AM.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Bravo Nun2. Popcorn
    Show me how either cartridge outperforms the 30/30 Winchester.

It can't. 150 gr Vel in the article is only 2240 fps . Still sounds like a decent cast bullet slinger with the 15 twist barrel on it though ,long as you pick one with a noseonthe shorter side the Lee 155 be just about right
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    From what little bit I have playing with the 30-30 and similar and smaller cases, it is a head scratcher why one cartridge will do x fps and changing the twist or a wee bit less taper or such and presto you get 200 to 300 more fps. I totally believe in this cartridge because I spent a fair amount of time wondering why nobody used all of the 223 or used my old favorite "222mag" cartridge. Also why somebody did not take the x39 and use the 220 swift and have a little more length(better feeding) and less taper(much more powder).I do prefer a factory cartridge at my age over another wildcat. The kids are having enough to learn with out all of my concocted stuff. I read a article in a magazine and they totally missed Bills reason for this venture. Makes you wander if these writers are that stupid or dancing to the one who pays their bills?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

"dancing to the one who pays their bills?"

Yup.

Boolit Master
    So....is this just a newer version of the 7.62x45 used in the vz52?...why not just use the same dimensions and give cool name so i can finaly shoot my rifle lol

Boolit Master
    For a hunting rifle, if I'm shooting something in the 2,200 fps range, I'll take the 250 gr FTX over a 150 grain 30 cal any day. 450B.

Boolit Master
    I am not enthused by it. I would rather want a .30 Rem AR instead, which gives you .308 Win performance in a AR-15 size rifle.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast