Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WOOOW! the 300 Ham'r !!!

Boolit Master

its like anything else folks, pick your poison. supposedly the 7.62x39 ar's have gotten better, idk for sure as i dont have one. the mags have always been the problem with them, and now they supposedly make some that run fine with more than 7 or 10rnds. my ham'r works fine with 20&30rnd mags, dont know about less as i dont have any.

Boolit Mold
    If I wanted an AR firing a cartridge that was shy of 30-30 performance but more effective than the Poodle-Shooter, the 7.62x39 would fit the bill and is chambered in number of available, low cost AR options plus AK options and an array of ex SovBloc surplus.

But novelty seems to have an attraction all its own.

Banned

maybe so. Its been about 15 years since I dumped mine. That said unless your shooting bullets heavier then 130s the 762x39 burns substantially more powder then the BO and doesn't give much better velocity. Especially in a pistol length barrel where there about neck and neck. That and theres a lot better selection of bullets and molds in 308 then in 311. Big advantage to the 762x39 in my opinion is cheap wolf ammo if you don't load but not many here would be here if they didn't load. I just got a 6.5 Grendel and ask myself why I even did that because it doesn't out perform the bo by much either. At least out to 200 yards and all of these rounds discussed here are about 200 yard max deer rounds anyway. I guess about the only real step up are the Winchester super short mags in the ars. Most of this is just mine is bigger then yours crap that in the field doesn't mean squat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Maybe they figured it out, Lloyd because my mutt by me AR 7.62x39 runs like a top with everything from CB loads to Tula/Wolf to my 123gr jacketed loads. I had a problem with seating depth with an ASC mag using Lee 150F but that's resolved. Perhaps its because I use only ten round mags. I have one C- products and two Midway/ ASC and they work great. Maybe a 7.62x39 IMP would win the boiler room contest. Aw heck, I'll just use it as it is- "almost a 30-30."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Lloyd are your comparisons based solely on ar's with pistol length barrels?
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Banned

for the most part yes. But that said my 16 inch bo will push a 110 barnes to 2400 fps easily with no pressure signs and might even do 2500 if I didn't care about brass life. My old 762x39 looking at my old load data did 2400=2450 with a 125 with max book loads. Bc's between those two bullets are about the same so its mostly a wash. Surely not enough difference that a deer would notice. Pistol barrel about makes them equal and for the most part a 10.5 in barrel puts the 308s right there will them. 10 years ago if you would have told me id be hunting deer with a little round like that I would have laughed at you. But after this year and the damage they did to the deer is shot with them id say there right in there with anything up to a 3030 out to 200 yards. Not devastating, not an o6 or 7 mag! But they will kill a deer if you do your part.

Boolit Buddy
    So,you fellows that are actually shooting the Ham'r, what cast bullet are you using? I believe Corky was using the RCBS 130 spitzer in the slightly shorter 7.62x40. Wonder how the throat compares between the 2.

Banned

that's my go to bullet in the BO. It easily shoots 2moa at a 100 yards out of a decent gun. With some load development id bet you could get it even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    So,you fellows that are actually shooting the Ham'r, what cast bullet are you using? I believe Corky was using the RCBS 130 spitzer in the slightly shorter 7.62x40. Wonder how the throat compares between the 2.

Banned

I think if I was going to do a 762x39 today id do one of the psa dedicated lower guns that use ak47 mags. Reviews on them are really good.

I was looking at the PSA KS47 but have read several guys had issues with combloc magazines. Supossibly they were designed to work best with Magpul AK mags. All I have is combloc surplus steel ak mags and I really don't have interest in buying magpul mags. Still undecided if I want to try a KS47. If I buy a regular AR in 7.62x30 I'll end up having to buy new magazines anyway. Maybe I'll just build another AK.

Finally chronyd some rnds from the BO 10" 1:8 pistol. 145gr FN cast, PC or BLL. 1800 - not pushed hard, with H110. 145 & 170,185 RD style cast - 1300. My 6# (loaded with 3x scope)PCC equal with cfe pistol and it cycles fine. Bang then whack is kinda neat. The 145 with H110 in the 18" 1:10 carbine does ~2k. WT or Ham'r would be a little much to handle from pistol. If I changed carbine, I'd just keep the BO chamber and make the case 40 or 41. Shooting left over rnds random, sitting with bipod @ 50. Hog or deer accurate - I can do better. Got a hog @ 25 with 40sw 165gr cast so this should do OK. Yea, scope is off a bit. If I had a 200 yd shot I'd take the 308W AR10. And only make the shot supported in a stand.
    CCF_000084.pdf
    Whatever!

Banned

I guess after the headache of my attempt at an ar in 762x39 im with you. Id just buy an ak that is dead reliable and good right out of the box with any mag. Even one dropped in the sand. If I want to shoot out past a 100 yards ill just grab a different gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I was looking at the PSA KS47 but have read several guys had issues with combloc magazines. Supossibly they were designed to work best with Magpul AK mags. All I have is combloc surplus steel ak mags and I really don't have interest in buying magpul mags. Still undecided if I want to try a KS47. If I buy a regular AR in 7.62x30 I'll end up having to buy new magazines anyway. Maybe I'll just build another AK.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    What is wrong with the 30 Apache? Just expand 223 brass to 30 cal and you are ready to go
    Only shortcoming I see is a lack of usable bullet choices. Gotta keep the nose short.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Buddy
    100 fps faster than a 7.62x39? Meh.

Boolit Man
    I did not particularly care for the AR rifles but I bought a Remington R-15 some years ago. What I really wanted was the AR rifle with the 30 Rem AR which disappeared. I would make one but the brass isn't something I can make out of other cartridges. I finally found a useful AR in the 357 AR (357 Remington Maximum rimless). I know it is a reloading only cartridge but I like to reform/reload so that is not a particularly difficult problem. The brass is cheap (I did buy some Starline 223 basic brass) and after I got past the learning curve on proper case length and powder charges and bullet seating depths I enjoy shooting/reloading for it. I do know that the 180 grain and 200 grain bullets hit with authority. My 358 cast from the 190 grain Ranch Dog mold, gas checked of course, is also a great combination. All things considered, this is a fun gun for me AND it finally makes my AR a hunting rifle (as opposed to my other AR, which is a varmint rifle)

Boolit Master
    Some small success today. NOE 311-152-SP GC PC (Smoke's clear) .309 over 21.0/IMR4198 feed and function reliable with positive lock back with Gen3 Magpul. Brass (from Wilson Combat), primed with CCI #41, piled reliably at 4 o'clock. I did not have a target out as it's to stinkin' wet that I'm not walking down there. Rounds appeared to hit berm circa POA @ 50 yds. This is a Wilson 18" bbl, 15 twist, intermediate tube.

Any one else shooting cast in the Ham'r yet?

Looking at the RCBS 30-165-SIL as a possible... Might have to single load those.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Some small success today. NOE 311-152-SP GC PC (Smoke's clear) .309 over 21.0/IMR4198 feed and function reliable with positive lock back with Gen3 Magpul. Brass (from Wilson Combat), primed with CCI #41, piled reliably at 4 o'clock. I did not have a target out as it's to stinkin' wet that I'm not walking down there. Rounds appeared to hit berm circa POA @ 50 yds. This is a Wilson 18" bbl, 15 twist, intermediate tube.

Any one else shooting cast in the Ham'r yet?

Looking at the RCBS 30-165-SIL as a possible... Might have to single load those.
    I have made up 500 cases and will load some up this weekend to try. I have done quite a bit with the 7.62x40WT and bought the 300HAM'R barrel and dies from WC on a whim.

Making brass was a chore so I took a detour and bought a Dillon RT1500 and 223 trim die to make brass easier. I trimmed the die and the trimmer to get where I needed to be but it works well!
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Was disappointed earlier today with my 300 HAM’R frankenrifle as it did not cycle properly. I ordered a gas block and tube from WC to replace the parts-pile ones I used in the build.

Loads were promising though. Used Midway 110gn blemish bullets on top of 23gn H4198 and 23gn Reloder7. Chronoed with a Magnetospeed at 2150 and 2200 respectively.

Once I have sorted the gas system I’ll start with CB’s.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Was disappointed earlier today with my 300 HAM’R frankenrifle as it did not cycle properly. I ordered a gas block and tube from WC to replace the parts-pile ones I used in the build.

Loads were promising though. Used Midway 110gn blemish bullets on top of 23gn H4198 and 23gn Reloder7. Chronoed with a Magnetospeed at 2150 and 2200 respectively.

Once I have sorted the gas system I’ll start with CB’s.
    you have a heck of a parts pile if you had a gas tube laying around the same length as what wilson uses.

Boolit Master
    Ran into the same problem with the gas tube length. First one was an intermediate that 13-3/4", 1/2" too long.

Had to order another that was 13-1/4". Thereafter, all is well.

Gonna try some PC 30-165-SIL today, if they will chamber.

Boolit Master
    30-165-SIL to fat in the nose to chamber.

NOE 311-152-SP works good over 22.0/DP 73 (300 Ham'r) and got the BU sights on paper at 25 yds yesterday.

I had lunch with Army buds today - they all have gray hair. I wonder why. Good fellowship!

Popper, tell us more about the 31-142D, please.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast