Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Turret Press

Boolit Master

I have 0 problems making repeatable seating depth cartridges on my lee 4 hole turret.

Whatever tolerance or slop is present, is consistent. First to last, thus, seat to depth, lock in, then go, all depths should be consistent if your cases are uniform, and the projectile is the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    Well seems everyone has a fairly firm opinion of what they believe is the best Turret press. Thought I would put my 2 cents in to the discussion.
    I have had a Lee 3 hole, the 4 hole and now have a CCT. My first 3 hole Lee Turret press was a magical piece of equipment after reloading for bullseye with a single stage press. I loaded countless rounds with that press. Almost all 38’s and 45’s. Then the local GS had a trade in program for reloading presses it was about the same time as I had discovered the advantages of the Lee Factory crimp die and didn’t want to keep using a separate press, so I traded up to a 4 hole and never looked back, again countless rounds reloaded on it. Then came across a used, with a bunch of other “stuff” CCT I picked it up just for the through the ram used primer feature and the fact I had turrets already to go. Now I reload 32’s on a Lee LoadMaster and 45’s on the CCT. I also load all my cast boolit 308, 30-06 and 45-70 all on the CCT. I also use it for preparing all my precision brass for 223, 260 and 6.5 x 47. I do bullet seat on a SS.
    My presses get well used. I buy my pistol primers in 5000 sleeves and typically load 25K plus pistol primers a year.
    Buy what you like or think you will like.....Lee products are low priced not low quality and an excellent way to get going!!!
    YMMV

Boolit Master

On the subject of shell holders fitting into press ram's

I have some old shell holders from Pacific(Hornady) , BAIR & even one old LACHMILLER. Everyone of them will fit into both my OLD LYMAN presses and my RockChucker. And my old RCBS bench priming tool too.

But the Lee shell holders aren't worth spit.

I had a primer deflector that worked just great with my old RCBS Case Kicker. The problem with the old Case Kicker was that primers went EVERYWHERE.

I found a guy on another site that had a 3-D printed primer catcher that sent the spent primers into a tube and straight into the trash can.
    But you had to turn the ram around and insert a small plastic deflector that was held in place by magnets.
    Worked FANTASTIC for 2yrs without a hitch.
    LYMAN, RCBS, PACIFIC & even the old BAIR SHELL HOLDERS. All worked perfect.
    Put in the Lee shell holder from a set of Lee dies for .44 Russian that I was gifted.

Broke the tip on the primer deflector on the very first case. Fortunately the maker of the Primer Deflector/Catcher system was still around. Sent me 2 in the mail straight away. Didn't even wait for the M.O.

Lee has such great ideas, but uses cheap materials and poor quality control. It's always a **** shoot with a Lee product. If it works right It's Great, or It's a real disappointment.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had a Lee three hole turret and it worked well for the most part. I loaded a lot of .38/.357, .44 spl/ mag, .45 acp and quite a few 30/30. I trade it to a friend for a Lee O press that I kept for a while, bought a RockChucker and gave the Lee O press to a friend. The Lee did well, but one day I went to my oldest son's house and loaded some 9mm on his T7. If I had the money I'd have one in a flash.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I have A Redding T-7, several Lyman Tru- line jrs, a Hollywood and a Ponsness Warren . The Lyman Jrs are of course suitable for only pistol or NS rifle use but work fine in that use. The others are solid and any would be a great choice. the OP wanted a lifetime one time purchase. That excludes anything Lee makes!

Try them all if you can and pick your favorite, reload and be happy!

Buy the Redding T7 you wont be disappointed, I have several presses including a dillon 650 with 5 dedicated tool heads but the redding is my goto press
    Dillon 650
    Redding T7
    RCBS Pro 2000
    RCBS RC
    Star
    Lee Turret

T7 is my favorite non progressive

I've had Lyman All American turret press, Lyman T-mag, Lee 3-hole, Lee 4 hole for turret presses. Lee auto breech lock pro, Lee ammo master, and Hornady Pro-jector for Progressives and various single stage Lee, Lyman, RCBS presses. Out of the turret presses I liked the Lee 4 hole the best. It was nice to be able to get cheap turret heads for each set of dies. I'm holding onto my Hornady Projector as I don't like the LNL die bushing on their newer presses. I wish they would of gone with the die heads like Lee and Dillion uses. I have the Hornady split lock rings on all of my dies which lock them into position well enough that they don't need adjusted when changing out unless changing presses.

Boolit Master

Moleman,
    If you're still using the priming system on your old Pro-Jector, you must be the luckiest Dude on the face of the planet.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Moleman,
    If you're still using the priming system on your old Pro-Jector, you must be the luckiest Dude on the face of the planet.
    Must be, it always works well. I've replaced the flat spring once or twice now in 25 years, the primer arm spring once, but the primer arms are still fine. Occasionally the tubes get dirty on the inside which is easy enough to clean. I did put a support on the base early on as there was nothing to keep the base from loosening up which caused misfeeds. The main thing I dislike about that press is the case ejector. I've adjusted the feed pawls once within a year or two of getting the press, once about 2007 or so and again last year. 400 rounds and hour is easy, 500 takes a little effort. I like the idea of the case feeder available for the newer ones and the better case ejector, but not enough to buy one. Here's a pic of the primer feed brace. It's just a little section of aluminum angle, a piece of flat aluminum and a couple #8 screws to keep tension on the open ended hole in the base that the primer tube housing goes in.

T-7 have two and love em. Your reloading procedure is at least as important as the press you use. Your confidence is also very important. Just started teaching my Grandson how to handload. His first attempt was for a 308 Winchester of his. I watched him but let him do all the work (May be on to something HERE). He was very careful and did a superb job for his first time. He couldn't wait to shoot his new ammo. He is a fairly accomplished shooter for his age. When he fired the first three shots he was not impressed. About 3 inches at 75 yards from a solid bench. He said Papa I don't believe I did this right. We may need to change something. I took the rifle (I am a Contender Pistol shooter-I don't Enjoy shooting rifles) and very carefully put 3 shots in one ragged hole (I had confidence in his loads). I ask him are you sure we need to change something. He promptly took the rifle and shot as he knows how. I tell this little story to make a point, choose your equipment carefully, but realize if used properly it will all load better ammo than most can shoot.
    Good luck with your choice
    Doug
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Recommended Turret Press

Tred1956,
    Thank you for the story.
    ————
    I am not knocking Lee products. It might be the ram. And I like the RCBS press. If a T7 turret press is overkill for pistol, so is the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme.
    ————
    I imagine I would use the T7 as a single or 2 stage press for some cartridges.
    ————
    I am trying to configure my retirement that is just over the next hill or two.
    ————
    Thanks for the replies. I did not expect so many. Summary - the T7 is a good turret press that can be used as a single stage press. Is solid. And I do not _have_ to buy separate turret disks. But $ more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    I think all of you are barking up the wrong tree to resolve this issue. I think you need to collect 4 single stage Pacific C presses of the same type and have them all lined up on your bench and a chair with wheels on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I have the Lee, Lyman, and an old Herters.
    Lee is the smallest and lightest. Easy to change the turret for different calibers.
    Lyman is way bigger. Very strong and heavy. Mines is an older one. I modified it so the handle wouldn't fall down, and pinch the finger.
    Herters is massive. Very strong and heavy. Looks like a big Lyman. It is old and a tilt back style. Haven't tried it yet, but should work well.
    Never tried the Redding. Everything they make is top quality.
    I use the Lee mostly. Lyman second.
    The Lee is probably not your first choice, but I like the adjustable handle, that's off to the side.
    I think any press, with proper care and maintenance, will last more than a life time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I'll place my vote on the Lee Classic Cast Turret press, much cheaper to add turrets and it can load a precision round. I use mine as a single stage though, as I deprime before cleaning and sizing, and prime off the press.
    I'm with Omega, My go to press is the Lee turret press. I have removed the auto indexing so I can go through each stage with each batch of brass so any problems stand out and can be found quicker. A 308 case threaded through the primer hole and screwed to a board makes a handt holder for the extra turrets for each caliber you load. For the price and vercitility I haven't found anything that can beat it I have 5 other presses in operation and a couple under the bench.

For what it is worth, I deprime and prime off the press using hand tools. Therefore the various priming and primer catching features of any press are of no concern to me.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

I HAVE AN OLD REDDING #25 turret press too

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I have the same Redding Turret press that Char-Gar has--the #25 (I've seen his pictures). I like it a lot and find it much faster than using a single stage. I resize and bell on the press by turning the turret, then I prime and charge off the press, then I seat the bullet and crimp by turning the turret.

I really don't find adjusting dies to be too taxing. So the idea of having several turret heads loaded with dies does not appeal to me.
    :

Been running it for over 26 yrs. I load the same way, mostly pistol cals. With two sets of pistol cal.dies in turret I can leave them in until such time I reload a different cal. The locking rings on the dies allow me to switch back and forth without losing the settings. Unscrewing 3 dies to switch the cal.I am reloading isn't worth the cost of a shell plate. 30 seconds to unscrew 3 dies to me is a nit. The 25 Model from the time it was new always seemed to have alittle slop when sizing the case. This was between the turret and back supporting piece of the press. Talk with engineering in the customer serviced dept. produced no solution. I
    experimented by removing the turret for cleaning. At this time I cut a round shim from a gallon water jug, punched a hole for the bolt to go thru and greased both sides and reassembled. This was a little snug till I spun the turret around 20 time or so. Worked great. When turret seems alittle hard to move after 10,000 rds. or so simply regrease.
    Redding presses in my opinion are tough and built to last. afish4570

Boolit Master
    If I had to have a turret press it would be the Redding, but I like the Co-ax much better, instant die changes, no turrets to buy, just a much more accurate solid press, can be used for the most accurate reloading needs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    Tred1956,
    Thank you for the story.
    ————
    I am not knocking Lee products. It might be the ram. And I like the RCBS press. If a T7 turret press is overkill for pistol, so is the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme.
    ————
    I imagine I would use the T7 as a single or 2 stage press for some cartridges.
    ————
    I am trying to configure my retirement that is just over the next hill or two.
    ————
    Thanks for the replies. I did not expect so many. Summary - the T7 is a good turret press that can be used as a single stage press. Is solid. And I do not _have_ to buy separate turret disks. But $ more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think the question you need to ask yourself is: how much do you want to shoot? Like MT chambers I load rifle on a Co-ax, which is my favorite single stage press. I shoot thousands of 9mm a year, and that gets done on a 550. I don't shoot quite enough to make it worthwile to buy a bigger/faster Dillon.

That leaves my T-7, which I use like a single stage for handgun ammo that I don't shoot in large quantity. I tried loading one round at a time, swiveling the toolhead for each stage...once. It wasn't fun and it wasn't as fast as a progressive.

The only thing my Co-ax and T-7 do faster than your single stage is switch dies. Priming on a Co-ax is positive, but it's putting one primer at a time in the seating cup. There is an optional primer tube system for the T-7.

Do you want to load a couple hundred rounds per month? Keep what you've got.
    Do you want to load 1000 or more per month? Start looking at progressives.
    Do you just want a new singe stage that is easier to change dies? Look at the Co-ax or a turret.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Banned

I guess the T7 proponents think weight and strength is the answer. I just do not see it. I have a Big Max and two A2s and an Iron Press and others. You could take a T7 and the cast steel A2s would eat it for breakfast. I would say between my two 550s and my two Classic Cast Turret presses, that is where the sweep spot is. Crazy expensive tool heads and eight holes make the T7 a no go for me. You want ultimate strength, get an A2 and use the Hornady LnL system. You want functional value get a Classic Cast. You want more get 550, 650, or 1050. BTW the Iron Press is a great press as well.

Boolit Grand Master

If a turret press doesn’t auto advance it’s worthless to me. The exception is a 550 because it’s performing multiple functions at once. The LCT will perform any reloading function you ask it do. While I don’t load large rifle cases on it, it’s capable of it. The press and turret heads are also very affordable. The LCT is a press I will never get rid of because it’s extremely versatile and speeds up production a lot.

Boolit Master
    I have been following this thread from the start to see what people would say.

Now I'll add myTwo cents, for what it's worth:

First all the loading machines out their work well, some better than others, but the important thing is to buy one, new or used, that not only fills your needs today but tomorrow as well.

You'll also want to get the most bang for your buck!

Now I've had many turret press's from custom, altered, 6 station Tru line JR's to Lyman Spartan's to the Reddings, each had some good and some not so good but all were serviceable!

With that said, and noting you'll buy what you want, use of the press plus a dollar value means everything.

So I think you might take a look at Lee's new Breech Lock Pro. It is a change of pace for Lee and can be used as a "Turret" press, loading one at a time or can be used as a Progressive with great success.

Add in the fact that you'll also save $300.00 over the T7, which can go for components and you'll be way ahead of the game!

Now your going to ask about negatives with this press and, quite honestly, the only down side I have experienced is the Pro auto disc powder measure doesn't hold enough powder in some case's.

For loading 9mm and 45's it's OK, but for loading 44 Magnum's with WW 296 it just needs to be refilled way to often for me, and that is the only problem I've had with it!

Take a look at one on Youtube, see one in person if you can and, keeping an open mind, you'll find that it's an all steel press that can do more than the T7.

Now you buy the T7, as is your right, but you have asked for advice and I have freely given mine based on experience.

As always this is food of thought!

HM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast