Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman sizing dies in RCBS LAM-II?

Boolit Master

Lyman sizing dies in RCBS LAM-II?

I have an RCBS LAM-II bullet sizer and needed a 0.357" sizing die as my RCBS 0.356" sizing die was just a hair too small for a particular 9mm Luger pistol. I am trying to size LEE 356-125-2R bullets. I went to Grafs and they were out of the usual RCBS 0.357" die so I bought a Lyman 0.357" sizing die. After installing the die in my RCBS LAM-II, I discovered that I could not adjust the stop far enough up to keep the bullet from getting too far down, so it leaks lubricant up past the smaller part of the rounded nose and out the top. The RCBS dies have the holes in them farther down and work fine. Has anybody found a solution to this problem? If I watch real close as I push the bullet into the die, I can stop before it gets down to far and it lubricates properly with no leakage. So the stop screw and locking nut in the bottom is not long enough to stop the bullet high enough. Any ideas for a solution would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    You can just watch and see how far you need to go and stop there.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Have you tried putting the bullet ejector screw and locknut in from the top of the piece they screw into?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    Have you tried putting the bullet ejector screw and locknut in from the top of the piece they screw into?
    No, I had not. But it took me all of 7 minutes and 37 seconds to have a winner! Thank you very much C.F.Plinker for your help. It works really good now just like it is supposed to. Of all the 30 years of using this LAM-II I never knew I could do that for short projectiles. But I have always cast rifle bullets and it worked just fine. Recently I bought some LEE molds for really short bullets to use in my 380 and 9mm Luger. But the RCBS die worked just fine for my 380. Now I know how to use Lyman dies in it. I don't remember reading this information in the instruction manual that came with the LAM-II, but I haven't read it for 25 years or so. I probably still have it somewhere?

Boolit Master
    And I learned something too. Whoodathunkit?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?