Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Turret Press

Recommended Turret Press

I am currently using a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. (The only problem I’ve had is that it does not accept all shell holders . Oh well.) I always thought a single stage would be fine, but now that I’m reloading more pistol cartridges I’d like to look into turret presses. This is a one-time purchase for me unless I sell something. I want a lifetime product. I would appreciate any recommendations. I’m currently looking at the Redding T7 press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by fn1889m; 10-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the Lee, Lyman, and an old Herters.
    Lee is the smallest and lightest. Easy to change the turret for different calibers.
    Lyman is way bigger. Very strong and heavy. Mines is an older one. I modified it so the handle wouldn't fall down, and pinch the finger.
    Herters is massive. Very strong and heavy. Looks like a big Lyman. It is old and a tilt back style. Haven't tried it yet, but should work well.
    Never tried the Redding. Everything they make is top quality.
    I use the Lee mostly. Lyman second.
    The Lee is probably not your first choice, but I like the adjustable handle, that's off to the side.
    I think any press, with proper care and maintenance, will last more than a life time.

Boolit Buddy
    I went through the same thought process a few months ago and swapped a single stage for a turret but now have gone full circle and back to a single stage.

If you load for more than 2 or 3 calibers the turret head gets filled to max capacity which means at some point you have to remove and then replace and set up 2-4 dies for the new caliber (or swap the turret head on a T7).

You could consider adding the Hornady Lock N Load bushing to your Rockchucker.
    It makes the dies quick change and is not that much slower than a turret press.
    If you have all the dies in the Lock N Load bushings its almost as quick to change dies and much quicker if you're switching between many calibers.

The Forster Co-Ax also offers a similar quick change arrangement.

You can't go wrong with Redding.

Boolit Master

What shell holders does the Rock Chucker not accept?

I am using a Lee Classic Cast turret press and love it. Caliber changes are simple and fast. Get some extra turrets and you only set up for a caliber one time. I load 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 40S&W, 45ACp, 223, 308, and 30-06 on it.
    With pistol cartridges, I load about 150 rounds an hour. A little more or a little less depending on how I feel that day.
    The rifle calibers are a little slower due to the way I load them. I am loading them for match accuracy and don't use the auto advance with them.
    I have been using this press for several years and love it.
    You can get more speed from a full progressive press but the ammo isn't going to be any better.

Boolit Master
    There are probably a few used ones in good shape available on various websites. Many of the older turret presses are very similar in design and operation and some newer ones don't appear to be much different. Hard to wear out a press. I'm still using a Texan turret from the '60s.

Boolit Master
    Love my T7. You can buy extra shell plates, set them up for other calibers and swap out. I have plates with two sets of dies in them e.g: 45-70, set up for jacketed and cast.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I'll place my vote on the Lee Classic Cast Turret press, much cheaper to add turrets and it can load a precision round. I use mine as a single stage though, as I deprime before cleaning and sizing, and prime off the press.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Bub
    Similar to Ickisrulz - what she’ll holders does the RCBS RC Supreme not accept?

If I were going with a turret, I would be picking up the T7. Although, as others have brought up, a single stage is generally just as quick. It depends if you would prefer to do batch loading (size all at once, expand all at once, etc), or if you want to do round-by-round (do all steps for a single round, then start again).

I don’t know if it is still for sale, but I saw it yesterday or sunday. In swappin and sellin, there was a RCBS turret press with 3 turret heads for $200. I have the same press and I love it. Each head takes 6 dies. You need to figure out how many dies you will need on a turret before you make a decision.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned

There are many reasons the Lee Classic Turret owns this space. But the T7 is a good expensive alternative. I am good with four holes and seven are useless to me. Cost of turrets heavily favors Lee.
    On Midway USA
    Lee Classic Turret 4.6 rating based on 226 reviews $105.00
    Redding T7 4.9 rating based on 122 reviews on clearance at $290.00
    Lee Turret head $12.50
    Redding Turret head $79.99
    Not sure why the T7 is on "Clearance"
    Possible new model or going out of production. They only have a few left at a good price.

Boolit Master
    Except for the LEE, most turret presses are just a glorified single stage. IMHO, a turret that doesn't auto advance doesn't make much sense over a single stage. I just got the LEE breachlock auto and am impressed with it. Can be used as a progressive, or a single stage.

Boolit Master
    Both of mine are single stage and the Lee 3-holer works as well now as it did 25 years ago, it really depends on where you expect to end up 25 years from now.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I have both Lee Classic turret (bought 1st) and Redding T7 turret (bought used for $150) Don't exclude the https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/76257 If I had to do it over I'd go there. Now with the turret just set your dies and tighten down the locking ring and you are good to go just screw in and out and you are back in business. You wont have to re-set them every time. There is good amount of disk movement on the Lee when you are loading rifles and you will get some run-out, at least for me. I do use my Lee for pistol cartridges, but the Redding for rifles.
    Another plug for Lyman, it comes with the primer system that you have to buy separately on the Redding and Lee.
    By the way there is a good amount of play on the Hornady bushing system. Don't know if that bothers you, but it was too much for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a Lee fan myself. I have both C and O type single stage, classic turret, and loadmaster. Turret is my favorite and I use it the most. Makes great quality ammo and its very consistent. As long as you have spare square ratchets you can reload for as long as your arm and shoulder allows. I would normally load 100-200 at a time but that wasnt enough to feed my 9mms so i ended up buying Loadmaster. Great press with sucky priming system. I prime and resize 9mm on single stage then load on loadmaster that way i can do about 600 sometimes more in a single sitting. If you dont shoot in high volume classic turret is perfect.

Lee classic cast mounted on a Harbor Freight grinder stand and some goodies from these guys here.
    I like it a lot.

https://inlinefabrication.com/produc...verse-rotation

Boolit Master

i use an rcbs turret, and its good, makes very accurate ammo. if i were to replace it, i would go with the redding.

Boolit Master

I am pretty happy with a lee 4 hole. first thing I did was set aside any priming apparatus they provided, and I took the indexing rod out.
    once you do that, it's a solid 4 hole turret with cheap replaceable tool heads so you can setup your dies and then just pop another head in.

Banned

Exactly what I do ^^^

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast