Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recommended Turret Press

Boolit Buddy
    I have just uploaded a video comparing the T7 and Lyman All-American 8 side by side.

Go easy on me. It's the first time i've ever been in front of a camera or posted a video online.

Banned

Nice video
    No need to say it is your first video, it is very well done
    Thank you

Recommended Turret Press

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    Do you just want a new singe stage that is easier to change dies? Look at the Co-ax or a turret.
    OP here.

Went to my LGS Saturday. Shot at their range. Working on a project gun.

Asked them what turret press (if any) they recommended. They had three Lyman T Mag II presses gathering dust in the boxes. It is a 6 hole turret rather than 8 holes like the 2018 All-American. It is a year or so dated model. They offered it to me for their invoice price to get it out of inventory. I negotiated a slightly higher price as they are good friends, and I know that they have other overhead as well. But it was still a good price. I have to get some longer bolts to mount it.

It is not the press I had initially selected. But the price is right and it is a step up. I can use it as a single stage press. Or advance the turret by hand. One or two turret disks should be enough.

I am surprised at the number of replies my question received. But thank you for the advice. I got a good deal, it’s a step up, and I am happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by fn1889m; 10-07-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Congratulations! My RCBS is a 6 hole and it is plenty.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

I’m using The RCBS turret and love it. I have 3 additional turrets and they are priced 20-30 bucks cheaper than the Redding.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    OP here.

Went to my LGS Saturday. Shot at their range. Working on a project gun.

Asked them what turret press (if any) they recommended. They had three Lyman T Mag II presses gathering dust in the boxes. It is a 6 hole turret rather than 8 holes like the 2018 All-American. It is a year or so dated model. They offered it to me for their invoice price to get it out of inventory. I negotiated a slightly higher price as they are good friends, and I know that they have other overhead as well. But it was still a good price. I have to get some longer bolts to mount it.

It is not the press I had initially selected. But the price is right and it is a step up. I can use it as a single stage press. Or advance the turret by hand. One or two turret disks should be enough.

I am surprised at the number of replies my question received. But thank you for the advice. I got a good deal, it’s a step up, and I am happy.

Very cool. I've been reloading on an old Lyman Spar T turret for almost 30 yrs. Basically the forerunner of the T-Mag. Have 32 & 38 dies on the turrent and one powder measure (on Lyman powder through die) full time. I swap measures when changing calibers and do all stages on the press. You should be fine with the Lyman.

Congrats! Especially nice that you got a good, fair price for it.

The Lyman T Mag press is set up. Works smoothly. Happy with it so far. Doing case prep as a single process. Will do prime, charge, seat and crimp as a single process. Not sure whether to use the ram prime or the tool on the press to prime. But it’s a nice press. Still have the RC for target rifle.

Boolit Master
    No gripes here CamoWhammo! Good job on the video.

I am saddened by how much you good folks down under have to pay for certain things. Imagine the ship running past your country with stuff only to unload in the US and then some products being reloaded and sent back. I know it does not likely work that way but according to “price” you would swear it does!

Best regards

The turret question is a pretty broad subject. I own a Lee Classic Turret and have had it for several years. I do not prime on it nor use the auto advance, I hand advance it. I do all my priming with a hand tool.

Recently I acquired a Lyman Spar T with one head for a most reasonable price and I just got it mounted on one of my diy plates I build for using C Clamps and ran it on a couple of jobs.

As much as I like the Lee CT, I find the narrow range for lock ring clearance and having to grab the dies to rotate the turret to be a pain.

The Lyman’s turret is more robust and much easier to grasp. My job that highlighted this the best was when I ran revolver casings through a full length sizer and then a belling die. I had more of an issue remembering to stay in the shell holder and belling the case than I did actually physically moving the head to the second position.

All said, my Lee CT is not going anywhere. Neither are my several single stages, some compound leverage. My Hornady LNL progressive is staying put but for a job I just described above that old antiquated Lyman ST did just fine as it’s a keeper as well!

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    No gripes here CamoWhammo! Good job on the video.

I am saddened by how much you good folks down under have to pay for certain things. Imagine the ship running past your country with stuff only to unload in the US and then some products being reloaded and sent back. I know it does not likely work that way but according to “price” you would swear it does!

Best regards

The turret question is a pretty broad subject. I own a Lee Classic Turret and have had it for several years. I do not prime on it nor use the auto advance, I hand advance it. I do all my priming with a hand tool.

Recently I acquired a Lyman Spar T with one head for a most reasonable price and I just got it mounted on one of my diy plates I build for using C Clamps and ran it on a couple of jobs.

As much as I like the Lee CT, I find the narrow range for lock ring clearance and having to grab the dies to rotate the turret to be a pain.

The Lyman’s turret is more robust and much easier to grasp. My job that highlighted this the best was when I ran revolver casings through a full length sizer and then a belling die. I had more of an issue remembering to stay in the shell holder and belling the case than I did actually physically moving the head to the second position.

All said, my Lee CT is not going anywhere. Neither are my several single stages, some compound leverage. My Hornady LNL progressive is staying put but for a job I just described above that old antiquated Lyman ST did just fine as it’s a keeper as well!

Best regards

Three44s
    three44s, I drilled and tapped for a 5/16" x 4" SS bolt into the turret head on my Spar T. Did two holes so I can move the handle for a second die set. I put a small plastic ball from an old outboard engine control on the end. It makes it that much easier to turn.

If I was buying new it would be the T7.

I owned a Lyman T years ago and t was a good press. I own a T-7, three tool heads that I use to prep rifle brass that feeds two Dillon 550s. The T-7 is a great press and worth every dime.

Boolit Mold
    I bought a Dillon 450 in the early 90's and converted over to 550 eight or nine years ago and it is an awesome press. I had a early RCBS progressive and had bad luck with it and went to the Dillon. Dillon's service and warranty is as good as RCBS.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234