RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket Caved

Moderator Emeritus

Photobucket Caved

Remember Photobucket discontinued free third party hosting and they put out a statement that a paid membership of $400 per year would allow you to continue hosting your photos...if you chose NOT to pay, they gave a deadline of Dec 31 2018, after which they would no longer support your "free" account albums...and I assume those albums would be deleted.

Well, it appears photobucket caved in. I figured they would, because if they didn't, their business would likely go under.

I got this email today.

Sent: Monday, October 1, 2018 7:05 PM
    To: JonB...
    Subject: Learn how we’re keeping Free Hosting, FREE photobucket

Starting October 10th, you will see a discreet “Proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on any images you display on sites other than Photobucket.

This change will allow us to continue offering our image hosting service to you as a free user. If you don’t mind the watermark and wish to continue as a free user, you won’t need to do anything. If you prefer no watermarking, simply upgrade to one of our affordable premium plans starting at $4.03 per month and enjoy all of the benefits of membership.

For a limited time, upgrade now for just $1 per month!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I got that one too. I noticed that I could access and post my photos that were held captive about a month ago. I was surprised a little......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

effum! they made a choice to be greedy, let em fail.

No dog in this fight, I don't use them, but what are they saying here. Starting October 10th, you will see a discreet “Proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on any images you display on sites other than Photobucket.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't use them.
    Did once, but never again.
    I hope they sink.
    Along with dicks, levi, yeti and nike

Boolit Master
    Yea bet people just waited inline to fork over $400.

Boolit Bub
    I switched to FLickr when Photobucket decided to charge. Its free, and the website isn't nearly at glitchy and slow as Photobucket always was

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by coloraydo View Post
    No dog in this fight, I don't use them, but what are they saying here. Starting October 10th, you will see a discreet “Proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on any images you display on sites other than Photobucket.
    They will add that watermark to your images when you place them here, or any other site except photobucket. Depending on how discreet the watermark (advertising) is, it may not be too bad, but if its like those sites that place it corner to corner that will be a problem. The problem for them is many, like me, took many of their pics and loaded them elsewhere (imgur for me) and I will not go back.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

I said my good byes a year ago, will never darken their doorway again.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

On the plus side, this should benefit people looking at old threads that were full of blocked pictures.

Still, I don't think I'll be uploading anything new to Photobucket, and I certainly won't be ordering prints or coffee mugs or any of that from them.

A couple times I've checked my account looking to download some old photos, and it's horrible now with the ads they've got on the site.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    On the plus side, this should benefit people looking at old threads that were full of blocked pictures.
    Only if people didn’t remove their photos from Photobucket. I pulled all of mine from the site which broke countless threads on a bunch of sites. I was using them since 2004 and had thousands of pictures there. I know a lot of other people that pulled all their photos as well. So there will still be a lot of broken threads.

They screwed up royally. I was a paying customer. They made an unreasonable request and I moved on. I was already using Flickr so their decision simply forced my hand. I expect most people to have short memories and use Photobucket. I won’t be using their services ever again.

Moderator Emeritus

Addressing many of the negative responses here, I totally understand...BUT, I had a ton of photos there, many of which are only there due to my laptop harddrive crash. Many of them are there solely for hosting here and a couple other web forums, so it wasn't "personally" worth the effort to upload them from Photobucket, due to the extremely slow rate because of popup advertising. But 2wheelDuke says it well...

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post

...SNIP
    @ Omega,
    Photobucket claims the watermark (advertising) will not be intrusive, It takes up about 5%-10% of the photo in lower left corner, I am unable to upload the GIF that was in the email that shows an example
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 10-02-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    They will add that watermark to your images when you place them here, or any other site except photobucket. Depending on how discreet the watermark (advertising) is, it may not be too bad, but if its like those sites that place it corner to corner that will be a problem. The problem for them is many, like me, took many of their pics and loaded them elsewhere (imgur for me) and I will not go back.
    +1 imgur is good enough for who it's for

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Addressing many of the negative responses here, I totally understand...BUT, I had a ton of photos there, many of which are only there due to my laptop harddrive crash. Many of them are there solely for hosting here and a couple other web forums, so it wasn't "personally" worth the effort to upload them from Photobucket, due to the extremely slow rate because of popup advertising. But 2wheelDuke says it well...

@ Omega,
    Photobucket claims the watermark (advertising) will not be intrusive, It takes up about 5%-10% of the photo in lower left corner, I am unable to upload the GIF that was in the email that shows an example
    Here is one, oddly enough one of the only ones to come up with "photobucket watermark" in google.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watermark-481.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	228171
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

@ Omega,

Try this Jon
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-screen-shots

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Thanks, but the image was a GIF...kinda of half photo and half video. The watermark appears then disappears in the GIF.
    When I up loaded it, The photo came up without the water mark appearing.

The moment is past, and I got my point across, so I no longer care...But thanks for posting the link.
    and thanks even more for posting the Viva Mexico image
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vendor Sponsor

Pulled all my photos from their site following the $400.00 announcement.
    It was slow then and worse now so they could make it $1.00 a month and I would not go back
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned
    When you click on the snipping tool, if freezes the image of any video/gif/etc that is playing so you can get a copy of it

Boolit Master

I never got around to pulling my photos from what I recall. Their site became so cumbersome that I just never got around to it.

I'll have to look for some of my old threads here and see after 10/10.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned
    Of course they caved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast