Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Gamo Maxim

Boolit Buddy

Gamo Maxim

Friend brought over the above springer which was a package deal (from Airgun Depot) that included a Hammer scope and (11mm to 3/8) adapter and rings. He couldn't get windage adjustment closer than about 4" with right windage adjusted all the way to stop. Sighting down the barrel and scope showed the two to be waaaay out of align. A set of (Kokopelli) alignment bars did not line up with one another nor did the drill rod inserted in the forward bar align with the bore.

One set of the provided rings was drilled and tapped for a set screw which nests in the dovetail adapter and (supposedly) prevents rearward drift of the ring set.

Mounting a set of high rimfire rings proves the scope to be at least moderately acceptable, but the rings (and, of course, scope) want to drift rearward under recoil. I could drill and tap one or both (Signature) rings for the setscrew remedy, but was hoping for a simpler solution.

Suggestions for an out of the box set of rings that might clamp more tightly and not be cheap junk? I have called Gamo and they, of course, want pictures and etc. Most likely they will (eventually) provide another set of rings maybe no better than the first and I dislike doing things twice.

Thanks...

Boolit Master
    IMHO Gamo quality is questionable at best, I don't believe you will find long lived happiness even if you get the scope to line up.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not looking for long lived happiness. Scope will line up with decent rings but, as I wrote, rings want to drift rearward under recoil. Looking for a set that MIGHT clamp to adapter grooves more tightly so I don't have to modify the Burris signature rings with a set screw(s).

Go back to original rings, rotate one 180 degrees, then the other.

See if you can't find a configuration which will get you on target.

Hammer scopes I have and love.
    Gamo I have stayed away from.

Do what you have to do including epoxy or JB weld.

Boolit Buddy
    Did all that and WILL NOT resort to some half *** epoxy job. Was hoping for an answer from someone with experience with air rifle scope mounting or knowledge of a set of better than off shore rings and/or dovetail (11mm to 3/8) adapter...

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Go to YouTube and do a search of your criteria. I'm sure someone there has dealt with a similar problem who has posted a video of how they went about finding a remedy. Type in something like, Airgun Scope Drifting back under recoil or something like that. It might be that if no one here as found the fix you're looking for so, searching for the answer somewhere else might be in order.

HollowPoint

Last edited by HollowPoint; 10-03-2018 at 04:40 PM.