Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: 303 British Ammo ID Help

Boolit Master

303 British Ammo ID Help

Does anyone know what this stuff is? Thanks! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F01B4E6-7CD2-4005-93BC-D8C10275FB3E.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	228149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC921CFC-1DAE-4386-956B-D2530AE92E25.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	228150

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Kirkee Arsenal, Poona India, MkVII Ball made in 1961? (hard to read date in photo), cordite propellant, both Berdan and corrosive. Due to unknown storage conditions and sensitivity of old Brit primer mix to heat, I would expect some hangfires and if fired in a Vickers it will stutter irregularly like an old VW bug missing on one cylinder.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Michael,

Very Good Question? May I ask how much .303 ammo did you buy, from whom and why didn't you ask the seller this question? I surmise internet folks would know less than the ammo seller at your point of sale?

Be well,

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 10-03-2018 at 02:17 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The small capital "I" under the Broadarrow mark indicates India. KF is identified in the U.S. Army Small Caliber Ammunition Guide as Kirkee Arsenal, Poona. This factory also made 7.65x17, 7.62x51mm, 9x19mm, .380 Mk2z, .410 Mk1, and cal. .50 BMG. India and Pakistan practice is to surplus out small arms ammunition when it becomes 50 years old, as its reliability for combat use is suspect.

Older lots are relegated for training use only and reassessed to be used up or scrapped, based upon experience.

I have found an excessive number of misfires in UK, SA, India and POF ammunition and would not spend the money on any surplus ammo not in reloadable brass which could be pulled down and salvaged.

I have had excellent results with WW2 Cdn. and US Lend-Lease ammo from DAC, DC, WRA and Rem-UMC which is still sure-fire, reliable and accurate, having good reloadable brass.

The Greek HXP stuff from the 1960s and later is non-corrosive, very good and is Boxer.

MEN stuff from Germany is excellent and non-corrosive, but Berdan.

I have purchased over 2000 rounds in both SPAM cans and metal strapped wooden crates in the last six months. Don't even bid on Berdan stuff more than 50 years old if you want to shoot it. This includes FNB, as I've gotten excessive hangfires with that which came probably out of the Middle East and was exposed to excessive heat in storage.

Search the GunBroker listings carefully. Be prepared to spend up to $1 per round on HXP, MEN, WRA, Rem-UMC or DC with UPS ground shipping in lower 48.

Attachment 228239Attachment 228240Attachment 228241Attachment 228242
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-03-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Michael,

Very Good Question? May I ask how much .303 ammo did you buy, from whom and why didn't you ask the seller this question? I surmise internet folks would know less than the ammo seller at your point of sale?

Be well,

Adam
    Adam,

I did not buy it. It was given to me by a friend who figured it was only worth the bullets due to the age and the cordite. I was making sure it wasn't anything good before I pull it or sell it off for scrap/pulldown.

Thank you for the info Outpost75!

Boolit Master
    Shoot it and find out ....