Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver ...is down again

Boolit Master

The market now is running bull strong, but, major investor fear a collapse in the near future.
    No investment nowadays is a bad investment.
    Get rid of debt. If and when a money collapse comes Social Security and other retirement funds will trickle to a halt.
    Think Venezuela. Plan for the worst, and pray for the best!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Long term, yes, land is good.

It does give me a return. But it does not grow, gain, increase, keep up with inflation.
    Also what comes into it is that the land is in trust, and trust says my wife and step daughter can not inherit.

So I would rather break the trust, sell that land, find several other ways to let that value grow, and have it a bit more accessable. And when I am gone let my wife, and step daughter, and grand children inherit.

As always there are other factors involved.

And I would be looking for a chunk of land maybe not as good for farm land, but perhaps more in line with my interests. A place where I could spent winters in a milder climate. Fish when I feel like fishing. Shoot off the back porch if I feel like shooting.

Hickory I totally agree.

We have no debt, have some silver stashed, house is full of guns, ammo, food, water.

My worry is if we lose the grid or the Nat gas pipeline is trying to heat this house through a North Dakota Winter.

Instead of having all my eggs in one basket, one chunk of land. I'd rather have several baskets. More options.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Long term, yes, land is good.

It does give me a return. But it does not grow, gain, increase, keep up with inflation.
    Also what comes into it is that the land is in trust, and trust says my wife and step daughter can not inherit.

So I would rather break the trust, sell that land, find several other ways to let that value grow, and have it a bit more accessable. And when I am gone let my wife, and step daughter, and grand children inherit.

As always there are other factors involved.

And I would be looking for a chunk of land maybe not as good for farm land, but perhaps more in line with my interests. A place where I could spent winters in a milder climate. Fish when I feel like fishing. Shoot off the back porch if I feel like shooting.
    Many many real estate investors would disagree with you about land not gaining value or keeping pace with inflation.
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Many many real estate investors would disagree with you about land not gaining value or keeping pace with inflation.
    Agreed. I gave $16,500 for my land 32 years ago. Current evaluation on taxes is $380,000. They ain't making no more land, unless it's Hawaii and it's volcanoes, or China's build-an-island projects.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    Must be careful and buy from reputable source. China has dumped a lot of fake silver coins in the US. Some found a while back at several dealers in the area.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    My Uncle would be one of them. He put all his money into real estate and to say it’s gained value would be an understatement. W/ the minimum value being around $500,000 on a less then $100,000 investment he’s sitting on a lot of money. The houses are rentals so they make him money every month. But like all real estate it’s about location and timing.

Boolit Master

No Kings rent on junk Silver, Yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roughcreek View Post
    Must be careful and buy from reputable source. China has dumped a lot of fake silver coins in the US. Some found a while back at several dealers in the area.
    I learned that a couple of months ago. A buddy collects Morgan silver dollars, and took some down to Little Rock to a reputable coin shop to be sent off to be evaluated/graded. Turned out several were fake, and the owner told him there was no need to pay to send those off. I had no idea the Chinese were faking Morgan dollars.

I'd not be surprised if a lot of silver bullion isnt fake. Same as coins. Silver hasn't gone up in a decade, gold is flat over past 3 to 4 years if not longer. Put your money where it actually will make you some more. Unless you just like holding the metal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Interesting about the fakes. I didn't realize it was that big of a problem. I have a little silver myself, not enough to worry about really, and it was all purchased between 20 and 30 years ago. I suppose being that old would mean it's unlikely to be fake, but maybe I'll dig them out and check just to see.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I learned that a couple of months ago. A buddy collects Morgan silver dollars, and took some down to Little Rock to a reputable coin shop to be sent off to be evaluated/graded. Turned out several were fake, and the owner told him there was no need to pay to send those off. I had no idea the Chinese were faking Morgan dollars.
    I had heard rumors about this,but never researched it much.
    A quick google search showed me that I can Buy near perfect fake Morgans on AliExpress ...Steel or Copper fakes for a buck or two.

This video is interesting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    "Fake" is the main reason why I stick with brand name bars with the same label as the company selling them. I buy all of mine from APMEX. They keep a record of everything I buy and will buy it back at anytime. So if they sell a fake (highly unlikely) they get a fake back.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by xbeeman412 View Post
    I have land so time to branch out.
    It was nice to see you several weeks ago Charles. Thanks again for the 270 dies. It sounds like you are still in the recovery mode.
    I made my final move from Houston back to home last Friday.

If I ever get over that way again, I'll drop by.

Back to topic, I might invest in some silver myself.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Have not compared the #'s, but stock has gone significantly down for 2 days now. Where do you guys buy your silver? What do you do with it? Stack it up in basement? How do you turn it back to today's dollars if you need to use it? Commissions on both ends?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Have not compared the #'s, but stock has gone significantly down for 2 days now. Where do you guys buy your silver? What do you do with it? Stack it up in basement? How do you turn it back to today's dollars if you need to use it? Commissions on both ends?
    I can answer some of your questions, in regards to myself.
    See the OP for price as of Oct. 1
    >Today (close of Oct 5) is $14.63
    >I buy from various vendors (large ones with excellent feedback) on ebay.
    >I store them in a secure location in my house.
    >Selling coins...There is a pawn shop/coin dealer local to me, who is honest and pays spot price for silver US coins.

Commissions...
    I buy Walker half dollars and Mercury Dimes...Buying them is like buying anything else, look for the best price, and yeah, they usually command a premium. The day I started this thread, I bought a Roll of Walker half Dollars for $121. That is about 7.2 oz of silver, which translates to $16.80 per oz, which is $2.17 over today's spot price.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I don't live in California, but new law states that new construction must used solar panels , silver is used in making them , supposedly not enough silver to support forecasted new construction i.e... low supply and high demand = rising price of silver.....

Looking at Morgan dollars F/S on one site, prices range from mid-teens to over $100 for one coin. There is apparently a big difference between silver buyer and silver coin collector. Do the silver metal buyers buy the junk coins with holes punched in them or ???

Boolit Bub
    Every time that silver goes down I think about buying. I am certainly not the smartest guy around, but I know that you cannot make a profit unless you sell. I am not good at selling my stuff.
    Based on the past year, silver price has changed 23%. with a 3-5% premium for both buying and selling that would yield a profit of 15% if you time it right.
    From Nov 2009 ($10 / oz) to Apr 2011 ($48+/oz), again if you time it right, an almost five fold increase could have been realized. Hindsight is almost always 20 20.

Now my thoughts on silver is this, knowing me, if I could buy the silver and make something with it, trinkets, fancy novelty or such, then I could command a premium; If I could find the right buyer. First of all, I am not a silver smith, I can't melt and pour silver. I don't have the name as an established foundry. I am not a jeweler.

What I do have is a gutter machine. I can buy rolls of aluminum, (that is not shiny and hard for me to part with), run it through my gutter machine(easy enough) climb a ladder and install the gutter on a house. That is the best way for me to invest in metals er I mean inventory to realize a profit. For a typical days work with my gutter machine I can make three to four times the material invested.

I know that this plan is not for everyone, but it seams to work for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12