MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Great 44 Magnum MAG MP Molds H&G 503 Load and an open apology to Mihec...

I'm A Honcho!

Great 44 Magnum MAG MP Molds H&G 503 Load and an open apology to Mihec...

Greetings Fellow Booliteers,

In our quest for the easiest casting, most consistent, cheapest loading and head shot accurate loads that we can crank out from our home labs we are always looking for the best we can find.

I was bothered by the fact that one of my molds dropped small no matter what alloy I tried and in fact sent a very respectful email to MIHEC this morning expressing my displeasure.

I had some HG503 cast and coated...BUT UNSIZED mic'ed at .4319 consistently. I loaded them up and like magic...I put the first 6 of 10 rounds in the same hole and the next 4 within a half inch of the main group at 50 yards. For the guys who shoot at Wake County Firearms Training Center...I asked for the range to go cold to take this photo.....I should have stopped at 6 shots.

Load info:

Mixed Untrimmed 44 Magnum brass

MP Molds HG503 Clone 432 (dropped small)(Only Visually Sorted)(Coated Eastwood clear)

Alloy water dropped range scrap

Coated Unsized Mic'ed at .4319 weight 261 grains +/- half grain on all boolits checked.

No gascheck

10.5 Grains of Unique

Winchester LP primer.

Firearm Overbored 44 Magnum Handi Rifle (.4331 Microgroove Barrel) (4 x Scope)

Distance 50 yards. Indoor Range. No time between shots for cooling.

Mihec...Im sorry for my passive aggressive rant over my mold dropping small. And thanks for retiring all of my low powder volume 44 Magnum molds.

What are your thoughts???

Thanks for looking.

Bluejay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1512.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	228118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	228119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	228120
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

A little more antimony and "maybe" a little tin might give you a better fillout and a larger diameter boolit.
    But, from here it looks great to me.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Just a comment....I don't consider .4319 as small in diameter! For .44 magnum, I consider anything smaller than .429 "small".
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned
    .432 is spec size for the bore (Lyman CB 4th edition) (.4331 Microgroove Barrel) is .0011 larger than spec.
    Toss a second coat of PC on it and see what happens, You should gain .001 to .002 more in diameter depending on PC coverage

my Winchester 44 bore is .4305 and m SBH are .4295 and .430.

.4331 is big for a 44

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    .432 is spec size for the bore (Lyman CB 4th edition) (.4331 Microgroove Barrel) is .0011 larger than spec.
    Toss a second coat of PC on it and see what happens, You should gain .001 to .002 more in diameter depending on PC coverage

my Winchester 44 bore is .4305 and m SBH are .4295 and .430.

.4331 is big for a 44
    It’s the micro groove rifling. Works great for jacketed. Not so much with cast.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like a shooter to me! Is this repeatable or was it just a fluke? If it will produce the same groups consistently, I would rock on with it.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    Looks like a shooter to me! Is this repeatable or was it just a fluke? If it will produce the same groups consistently, I would rock on with it.
    It’s a very forgiving combination. 9.5 thru 10.5 all shot great. I may try 11 and see how that shoots. After I tested...I ran my Lee pot empty 3 times and costed what I’m calling 1000 boolits.