Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Changer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danmat View Post
    Huh? Shoot every one you see, trap them, shoot them from helicopters, you still are not getting rid of them, one they are established all you can do is tread water. Personaly I enjoy shooting them, great sausage, grind them into hamburger, I always have a freezer full. I have heard the old story about their too big, no good to eat, the truth is most are just to lazy to clean the stinkin things. These game depts. that outlaw hunting them don't have a clue.
    I agree with these statements also. What you need is a very aggressive State Game Department along with aggressive landowners to eradicate the problem of hogs. Me going on a safari a couple of times a year with my AR-15 is not an organized removal of all of these pests.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Here is the Missouri Department of Conservation's web page about the problems with feral hogs here in Missouri, and what they require or recommend: https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance...-hogs-missouri
    I agree with everyone's input here as I went through the same kinds of ideas and actions when the hogs first started to become a problem in the 1990's. It was exciting to just go shoot stuff to get rid of them with my 45-70 and AR-15 rifle. But then the problem got way worse and another method of eradicating them became apparent.
    Read the link. This old man is not climbing trees if he has a gun.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Read the link. This old man is not climbing trees if he has a gun.
    Well, just stop oinking and grunting and instead holler and wave your arms. That works for chasing deer out of the soy beans too.

I seen the change in the mo. regulations. I have not seen any wild hogs yet but i have a suspicion that they are coming.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    We had some move into the area (southeast of Nashvegas) some years ago and I will have to say, they can tear up some woods.
    Looks like it was rototilled when they get to rooting.
    Saw them twice in the yard and both times had some place work related I had to be and so did not shoot.
    Interesting to look at the confirmation, because even though they were about the same size, some looked like barnyard pigs and some like wild boar.
    Trapping over several years got them exterminated.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but there are wild hogs on 96 between Murfreesboro and Hwy 70.
    Luvtn

Boolit Grand Master
    i'm very sure there is no pig issues here in Maryland. however, one of my friends did kill a wild hog in western Maryland while deer hunting. I've never heard of any other encounter.

If you can get a good shot, rifle, else anything will work. My first was with a 40 short and weak - worked fine but they still run a ways. Front shoulder is a good shot even when running - body doesn't move much even when legs are. Behind the ears is good too but it does bounce when running. Gut shots don't work. If you leave them they are buzzard & coyote & pig bait. They are worse than rabbits and have a large roaming range. Look for tracks on the road and ditches - easy to get from farm to farm.
    Whatever!

Pig hunting was never about sport here. Shooting nuisance animals is what it is. I carry a rifle in both pickups at all times for chance encounters with them.
    It may sound cruel (and is) but I don't care if I just wound them and they die elswhere. Invasive species- Salvinia, Cattle Egrets, Zebra Mussels, fire ants, feral hogs& cats.
    We're all gonna die

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Cattle Egrets - uh, last I knew, they are protected in Tx.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Cattle Egrets - uh, last I knew, they are protected in Tx.
    I'm guessing that's not a list of things he shoots. Salvinia is a plant, and I'd like to see somebody try and shoot a fire ant with a rifle. That would make some good youtube.

Cattlemen like them as they clean the bugs off cattle. We don't like them as they are messy and fly in flocks of hundreds - scare the dove away & are hard on aircraft. His list is pests for sure, I just noted if you shoot egret and get caught, big fine.
    Whatever!

Oh no, I don't shoot them. Their rookeries are a serious health hazard with Histoplasmosis and trying to scare them off rarely works. They do love to eat the insects that grazing cattle stir up. Speaking of fines, a few years back a County Attorney killed a big rattler in his yard in town. He posted it on Facebook and the game warden "liked it". Yep, Velvet tails(Eastern Timber Rattlesnake) are protected. Big fine like Topper said!

Boolit Master
    So....you are around Nashville? I know of 1 being seen down here in Lincoln County.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Pig hunting was never about sport here. Shooting nuisance animals is what it is. I carry a rifle in both pickups at all times for chance encounters with them.
    It may sound cruel (and is) but I don't care if I just wound them and they die elswhere. Invasive species- Salvinia, Cattle Egrets, Zebra Mussels, fire ants, feral hogs& cats.
    We're all gonna die

and Starlings, and Armadillos.

Starlings, and Armadillos. And grackles. IIRC they are fair game but the armadillos usually are road kill.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Starlings, and Armadillos. And grackles. IIRC they are fair game but the armadillos usually are road kill.
    Same here in Mid-Missouri with those Armadillos. My wife hates them and the damage they do to all of her gardens around the house. See lots of them on the roads dead, but the only time I have seen them out walking around is when I am deer hunting and out they pop walking along the field edge early in the morning on opening day for deer. And the decision always goes, should I shoot the Armadillo or wait for a deer? Because I know I can't do both.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i don't think i would try waving my arms and yelling unless i had a good size gun on my hip. they are very aggressive and dangerous. had one put me up a tree once back when i was a lot younger and could actually get up a tree.

Boolit Bub
    A quick post on the declining state of mandom...

My great-grandfather and grandfather's weapon of choice for hogs- ball peen hammer. When they charge you, they will lower their heads just before they make contact with you. A good knock to the head will outright kill them, stun them (finish them with your knife), or at least turn them aside.

My father's weapon of choice for hogs- .22 rifle (usually LR). You should see some of my father's hog skulls with that little hole between the eyes. You should also hear some of his stories about hogs who just shook their heads after being shot.

My weapon of choice for hogs- Ruger .44 carbine, the "newer" model with an extra clip or two handy. Low recoil, and plenty of punch. No problem getting off several accurate shots in short order. A lever action .44 or .357 is another highly recommended choice.

Boolit Master

Building supply rep came out a couple months ago. He had pictures of his hog trap. One with several hogs, a couple of black bear he said weighed about 400 lbs ea. To release the bears he used the bucket on his front end loader to raise the gate.

Game & Fish recommended diesel soaked corn to bait the trap. As far as he could tell, only crows avoided that corn. Besides hogs and bear, he has caught coons, possums, and turkeys. Only hogs can be legally harvested from the trap. They are legal to kill at any time by "any method" on private land by the landowner or anyone that has the landowner's permission. The only limitations are on WMA's where they can only be hunted during regular hunting seasons.

Boolit Master

luvtn

Locals (7 miles east of Thompson's Station are GONE).

There used to be some over south and east of Arrington ( Hwy 96 and 41A) that were in the area for years.

With the golf courses and all the MacMansions being built over that way I'm guessing they will HIRE eradication folks if the pigs become a problem.

Hwy 96 and 70 are a LONG way from here.
    I wonder where those pigs are located that Beau Cassidy originally posted about?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-19-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast