Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Changer

Boolit Master

Game Changer

This is the first time we have documented hogs on the farm. I have recently heard of somebody seeing one in the area but discounted it since it was second hand info. My response to that is is you have one hog you have a lot of hogs. Instead of going out with my 4 inch 329 or 629 and pedestrian loads it will be a sig .308 AR or my 5 1/2 inch 629 with full house NOE HP rounds. I hear HP don't penetrate but am willing to take a chance...Trust me....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Beau Cassidy; 09-29-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I like the thought of 308 more than 44, personally - I know I'm a better shot with a rifle, at longer distances. But pistol as backup should do it; None of those here in WA state currently, but I know the shoulders on those things are TOUGH, you might NEED non HPs from what I have heard.

Boolit Master

Once the sobs move in, you got em for life. They aren't actually as tough as you hear, old big boars can have a heavy shield over their shoulders from fighting, but sows and smaller pigs aren't bullet proof. Have killed several including a near 200 pound young boar with a hi-point carbine in 45acp. Heart and lungs are several inches further forward in the shoulder than a deer, probably why most folks think they are bullet-proof, they can run a long way liver shot. Neck shots, basically anywhere along a line from the ear to the center of the shoulder, with anything bigger than a .22 will drop em like a rock.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Sorry to hear it. Shoot them with whatever you've got. If you get into a sounder of them you may get off more shots with an AR15 or Mini than an AR10. They are not bulletproof. Life was better when pigs were on the farm in pens. I clenched while cutting hay when I crossed a hog rooted area and my expensive equiptment crashes about!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    When you shoot one hog, you almost immediately get four more. If you shoot two hogs you get eight more. Here in Missouri they outlawed the practice of shooting one or two hogs because of the problem it creates with all of the "replacement" hogs they generate. Now they set traps to catch the entire group and get rid of a whole bunch at one time. And keep setting the traps until they don't get any hogs. Then they will be gone for awhile. You don't need a rifle. You need a large trap and then a 22 to kill them at close range.

Boolit Master
    I have a very strong suspicion that hogs are being brought into places BECAUSE some want to have them to hunt! Even on here hog hunting is made out to be almost a spiritual experience!

If I could pattern them on my place I'd guide some of those spiritual hunts. You risk being asked to leave some places if you DON'T shoot at every pig you see. Release of pigs in the wild might be a lynching offense down here....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    When you shoot one hog, you almost immediately get four more. If you shoot two hogs you get eight more. Here in Missouri they outlawed the practice of shooting one or two hogs because of the problem it creates with all of the "replacement" hogs they generate. Now they set traps to catch the entire group and get rid of a whole bunch at one time. And keep setting the traps until they don't get any hogs. Then they will be gone for awhile. You don't need a rifle. You need a large trap and then a 22 to kill them at close range.
    Huh? Shoot every one you see, trap them, shoot them from helicopters, you still are not getting rid of them, one they are established all you can do is tread water. Personaly I enjoy shooting them, great sausage, grind them into hamburger, I always have a freezer full. I have heard the old story about their too big, no good to eat, the truth is most are just to lazy to clean the stinkin things. These game depts. that outlaw hunting them don't have a clue.

Boolit Master

I have shot 6 wild pigs a few years back and 2 this year a few weeks back
    I used the 44 Mag Redhawlk with 300 gr Lee bullets hard cast bullets for the ones a few years back
    Not full power loads , about 1/2 way from starting load to Max
    This year I use the BFR in 45/70 , a 400 gr hard cast bullet at 1200 fps

Non were big boars , 1 was a boar about the same size as the sows
    All of them I shot in the front shoulder and the bullets exited

The land owner of the place I shot them at uses a AR 15 and 55 gr FMJ bullet and head shoots them

Hate what they do to the woods
    But after I shoot one , I sure like to eat them LOL

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Kill. Them. All.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    This philosophy doesn't work with mice rats or muskrats. Yes animals finding suitable territory will continue to move into it. I agree that once you start eliminating them you don't stop with one or two.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I have a very strong suspicion that hogs are being brought into places BECAUSE some want to have them to hunt! Even on here hog hunting is made out to be almost a spiritual experience!
    yup and yup.

There is an abundance of grey wolves in my neighborhood , you'd be welcome to take a bunch by most locals . I think the michigan govt actually did bring some from here to isle royal. How far north is the pig problem?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    There is an abundance of grey wolves in my neighborhood , you'd be welcome to take a bunch by most locals . I think the michigan govt actually did bring some from here to isle royal. How far north is the pig problem?
    We are well in the clear zymguy. I've heard some rumors of pigs in southern Iowa, but it sounds like they either get killed off, or can't make it through the winter. I was living in Staples back when wolf hunting was allowed. I used to see them all the time when I worked on a farm, but somehow never came out when I had my rifle. Now you can't even kill them if your pets are threatened. It doesn't sound like the farmers are too happy, and Staples is about dead center of the state. I can only imagine it's much worse in Ely.

Boolit Master
    I have heard of pigs in Western Iowa. I don't think the weather is a major factor. They live in Russia and northern Europe.

When I lived up in the Ely area, wolves were always around but never a problem as far as I was concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    We are well in the clear zymguy. I've heard some rumors of pigs in southern Iowa, but it sounds like they either get killed off, or can't make it through the winter. I was living in Staples back when wolf hunting was allowed. I used to see them all the time when I worked on a farm, but somehow never came out when I had my rifle. Now you can't even kill them if your pets are threatened. It doesn't sound like the farmers are too happy, and Staples is about dead center of the state. I can only imagine it's much worse in Ely.
    just wondering how far i had to drive, I've thought about a shooting, which is not to be confused with hunting, type vacation. I would want to keep some meat but hogs sound more shooting than hunting so maybe should be added to my list of possibilities. Ill go resurrect my own thread and stop drifting this one

my issue with the wolves is the harm their over-population (my speculation and certainly debatable) has done to moose

If you some help eradicating them, let me know. I'll drive over when deer season ends.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    kill them all big and small. they are not a native species anywhere very harmful and dangerous animals. personally i would go with the 308 and something along the lines of a 300 grain slug for the 44.

Boolit Master

We had some move into the area (southeast of Nashvegas) some years ago and I will have to say, they can tear up some woods.
    Looks like it was rototilled when they get to rooting.
    Saw them twice in the yard and both times had some place work related I had to be and so did not shoot.
    Interesting to look at the confirmation, because even though they were about the same size, some looked like barnyard pigs and some like wild boar.
    Trapping over several years got them exterminated.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Here is the Missouri Department of Conservation's web page about the problems with feral hogs here in Missouri, and what they require or recommend: https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance...-hogs-missouri
    I agree with everyone's input here as I went through the same kinds of ideas and actions when the hogs first started to become a problem in the 1990's. It was exciting to just go shoot stuff to get rid of them with my 45-70 and AR-15 rifle. But then the problem got way worse and another method of eradicating them became apparent.
    Last edited by DonMountain; 10-06-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast