Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: When do I use this thing ?

When do I use this thing ?

Was given this flat face bore scrapper. Never used one before. When would it be necessary to use it? Between shots at the range or when you are cleaning the gun before storage?
    I will be using Allient MZ Powder pretty soon. Was told that a ring of crud may develop in the bore. Probably best to use this when that happens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fs-32-8_1.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	228061
    Da Okie/ Now known as Vearl

Boolit Master
    VRH,
    Use it after a string of shots to clean the breech plug area of crud/fouling. You may have to shape it a bit with a file to get into the breach if it is recessed. If you have a patent breech (recess in breech) you could also use a smaller caliber pistol brush to get into the breech. Good shooting
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

I only use one to clean for storage when I've fired it, say, 10 times or more. Less than that, the hot soapy water dissolves everything on the breach plug. Of coarse, using it anyway dosn't hurt a thing.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    the thing is, that flat shape is wrong for most breech chambers. Unless you wear or file it round, its kind of useless

Boolit Master
    it is for military muskets like the Springfield and infidels to scrape the breach face. n-ssa use them a lot.

Boolit Master
    Yeh...I could've used one of those while cleaning my 'new' used and abused Italian M1861 rifle musket. It literally had fouling and hardened black crud buildup past the fire channel in the barrel's breech end. I mean really?...How do you continue to fire and foul the bore on a musket when the touch hole is 1/4" below the depth of the crud??

Boolit Master

There are several shapes for various guns. Yours is for a flat faced breech. Shooting shotgun matches in a day when 100 or more shots may be shot through my 28 ga trade gun the witness marks on the ram rod may climb 1/2 inch or more depending on the weather. Scraping the breach face cleans it a lot faster
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    Yeh...I could've used one of those while cleaning my 'new' used and abused Italian M1861 rifle musket. It literally had fouling and hardened black crud buildup past the fire channel in the barrel's breech end. I mean really?...How do you continue to fire and foul the bore on a musket when the touch hole is 1/4" below the depth of the crud??
    Re enactors!!! they blew one somewhere when the crud a third the way up the barrel built up to such an extent it became a bore obstruction on the last shot.

Boolit Master
    Never had the need to scrape my barrels breech. I use Black powder only. Although I scrapped another's CVA Cap Lock barrel do to its continual use of Pyrodex. Gray colored fly ash (quite similar to compacted cement.) Fly ash stuff filled the young fellows breech up past its snails firing channel. Got the young fellows pride and joy back to normal touch-off in short order. It's good when you can diagnose the problem of a non operational smoke-pole~~>correctly.
    Tip: I always check a barrel with its ram rods {ledger mark} first thing.

Boolit Master
    I've one of those scrapers in .50 caliber, looks good as an accessory in my shooting box but haven't used it in years. A ball puller on the other hand is needed more than you realize.

In Remembrance
    The only guns I own that have patent breeches are the Lyman and CVA pistols. ALL the others have a flat breech face. I have made some scrapers in various calibers but very seldom ever use them.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM