Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Testing Kick’s Choke: the Buckbuster!

Testing Kick’s Choke: the Buckbuster!

Kick’s, IND sent me two of their chokes to test. The full is for 3-3.5” 00-000 buck. The X-Full is for 2.75”-3” #3-00.

I’m pretty darn impressed with these chokes. Performed well with factory and reloads.

Teaser pic from my buckshot testing video I’m editing now. Kick’s Buckbuster chokes are legit. This screenshot here is 18 pellets of nickel-plated #00 buckshot in a 3.5” Federal hull sitting under 38 grains of Blue Dot and buffer just covering the top of the pellets. Range was 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Friday I picked up a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge with a 21" barrel . Gun was made in 1996 and except for one mark in the stock looks unused . Nice blue and figured walnut . Worked out a deal with a customer as he wanted my 450 Bushmaster . The Benelli came with 5 choke tubes but I have thoughts on getting a tube specifically made for buckshot and perhaps another specifically for smoothbore slugs .

I'm curiouse as to what the consensus say on Carlson vs Pattern Master vs Kick . I want something that throws a good pattern out to say 65-70 yards . Now whether I'll actually shoot at a deer that far with buckshot is another story . More then likely 50 would be the most . Anyway your Kick looks like it just might be what I need .

I'm going to the gun club in the morning for several rounds of skeet . I have handloaded slugs and #1 and #0 buck for my 16 gauge Parker and several factory loaded boxes of 3" buck and slugs to try in the Benelli if I have time . I brought #1 , 00 and 000 for the Benelli along with Foster factory loaded slugs .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Good Luck with your MONTEFELTRO.
    I have a 1988 with a 26" bbl w/3 chokes. Bought a older NIB 21" bbl w/ 5 chokes. The chokes don't interchange. The 26" bbl's chokes are old Beretta. I don't know what the 21" bbl's chokes fit. With 5 chokes, I'll never have to look for any more. Don't care for a rifled tube, no need with a fully rifled bbl to fit any one of my 12GA 870's.

But that 21" bbl is very fast & light swinging. Takes some getting used to to make a fast smooth swing.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Good Luck with your MONTEFELTRO.
    I have a 1988 with a 26" bbl w/3 chokes. Bought a older NIB 21" bbl w/ 5 chokes. The chokes don't interchange. The 26" bbl's chokes are old Beretta. I don't know what the 21" bbl's chokes fit. With 5 chokes, I'll never have to look for any more. Don't care for a rifled tube, no need with a fully rifled bbl to fit any one of my 12GA 870's.

But that 21" bbl is very fast & light swinging. Takes some getting used to to make a fast smooth swing.
    Yeah I’ve been researching the choke tube situation . I’m about 99% sure this one has Mobil chokes . Don’t want a rifles tube for the gun just thought perhaps one of those three made a specific tube for Foster type slugs . Actually I have a 1968 Browning A-5 Mag that does very well with slugs when I have the old smoothbore rifle sighted smoothbore barrel . And if I need more range the little Savage 220 rifles 20 gauge will do the trick out to 150 or so . Had a Super Black Eagle a few years back that did very well with 3 1/2” Buckshot but it wasn’t the most handy gun I ever owned .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Friday I picked up a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge with a 21" barrel . Gun was made in 1996 and except for one mark in the stock looks unused . Nice blue and figured walnut . Worked out a deal with a customer as he wanted my 450 Bushmaster . The Benelli came with 5 choke tubes but I have thoughts on getting a tube specifically made for buckshot and perhaps another specifically for smoothbore slugs .

I'm curiouse as to what the consensus say on Carlson vs Pattern Master vs Kick . I want something that throws a good pattern out to say 65-70 yards . Now whether I'll actually shoot at a deer that far with buckshot is another story . More then likely 50 would be the most . Anyway your Kick looks like it just might be what I need .

I'm going to the gun club in the morning for several rounds of skeet . I have handloaded slugs and #1 and #0 buck for my 16 gauge Parker and several factory loaded boxes of 3" buck and slugs to try in the Benelli if I have time . I brought #1 , 00 and 000 for the Benelli along with Foster factory loaded slugs .

Are you shooting at Rivanna?

Been looking for a place to shoot around Cville, but can't afford to join there.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    Are you shooting at Rivanna?

Been looking for a place to shoot around Cville, but can't afford to join there.
    I was a member at Rivanna back in the 80’s . Joined Piedmont in Gordonsville first then joined Rivanna cause I used to shoot trap and skeet with those guys every week . Now I’m just a member at Piedmont .

Boolit Master

I'll have to check it out.

Are they a club or public range?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    I'll have to check it out.

Are they a club or public range?
    Private club .

Boolit Bub
    Anyone tried regular 2 3/4" shells through the Buckbuster choke?
    We can't get 3" shells anywhere near where I live and I'm curious about how well they go with the lighter rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob9863 View Post
    Anyone tried regular 2 3/4" shells through the Buckbuster choke?
    We can't get 3" shells anywhere near where I live and I'm curious about how well they go with the lighter rounds.
    I did in the video. Still working on editing the vid into two separate videos: one for 3.5-3 and the other for 3-2.75.

Here’s a screen shot of 8 pellets of 000 in 2.75”

Boolit Bub
    That's pretty **** good, I'd use that on pigs any day of the week, I'd use it on deer to if it was only legal where I hunt.
    I've liked the idea of 000 buck as bigger pellets and only 1 less then 00 buck, but every time I see them patterned the patterns are rubbish.
    If that choke can shoot a pattern like that then I might just grab one and an 000 buck Lee mold instead of a 00 buck after all.
    Last edited by Bob9863; 10-04-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

So it seems your 8 pellet load made 9 holes on target...

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    So it seems your 8 pellet load made 9 holes on target...
    It’s eight. That one hole is a slug hole half way covered up with tape.

Boolit Master
    BT what’s suggested retail for the Kick’s chokes you tested ?

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    BT what’s suggested retail for the Kick’s chokes you tested ?
    In the $65-70 price range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    In the $65-70 price range.

Don’t ask me why but I’ve already ordered a Carlson’s a Patternmaster and a Truelock . So I suppose I might as well order a Kick’s . ��

Boolit Bub
    My trouble will be finding someone that will post outside of the US.
    But as far as buckshot chokes go they are definitely the pic of the bunch.

Boolit Master
    FWIW , I got the True Loc choke yesterday and tried it this morning with factory 3" 000 , 00 , 1 and 4 buckshot . They all as one would expect shot nicely at 25 yards but at 50 yards the 000 looked okay and the other three were not so great . Hopefully the other two will appear this afternoon and maybe I can shoot them this evening .

According to the tracking number the Pattern Master is on USPS delivery today , so I'll more then likely try six shots with that choke this evening after I have dinner . I tried the Carlson’s and Pattern Master with Remington 3” 000 as well as Winchester 3” 00 and #1 again they all did great at 25 yards . The Pattern Master did relatively well with all three at 50 yards and the Carlson only shot the 00 well at 50 yards .

The Pattern Master and the Carlson's buckshot chokes just arrived VIA USPS . I'm going to try and test them in a couple hours otherwise it'll be November before I try them . Heading to the South Pacific in the AM Dullus to Narita to Manila and return on 11/5 .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 10-09-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Bub
    The only buckshot choke I can buy locally is the Carlsons ported buckshot choke, but I see the best results coming from the Buck buster and the boar blaster.
    I'd rather have one of those I think.