Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: the low lifes are stealing gas from me!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Not even close to the same thing!

There is a world of difference between a legal and approved device designed to stain stolen money and only in a controlled situation, controlled in that it is manually passed to a robber and done so in full view and control of just who is receiving it vs a rigged booby trap that is designed to HIT THE PERSON (ANY PERSON) and in an uncontrolled autonomous way that could easily involve an innocent person as an unintended target. Believe what you will and I fully expected someone to point at that but it is an entirely different thing than a rigged booby trap!

Rig up a dye gadget like what was suggested and it is AN ILLEGAL booby trap that could easily get you in serious trouble, call that county persecutor and see what they tell you! It's easy to argue such a point here on an internet forum but that comparison would get shot down in a heatbeat in a court of law!

For a true comparison a bank would have to, for example, rig up a dye bomb in ATM machines set to go off and hit the robber if the machine were to be tampered with or broken open! ATM machines are often a target but have any been set up to do such a thing or in any other way harm a thief? Obviously not and it would not be legal for them to do so just as the suggested dye trap is not legal and could easily lead to the person who set it being in deep trouble!
    In MN anyone injured during commission of a crime can NOT sue the homeowner.

Banned

sugar does not dissolve in gas.

You must first dissolve the sugar in water you can then add it the gasoline.

2 cups of water will hold at least one cup of sugar dissolved, you may have to warm it a bit to make a good syrup.

This is what I use to feed my bees in the winter, sugar water.

2 cups of sugar water is sufficient to ruin an engine.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Good creativity there, MaryB

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Small 3 oz tank, tiny 12v pump, door pin switch, piece of tubing and a homemade nozzle. Went off as soon as the door was opened and painted his hands.
    Still funny. I'd thought you'd gone high tech with a photo eye or something. Heck I think I could wire that up between laughing fits.

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    You had better be able to prove the charge unless it has been to court and a conviction obtained, doing something like that could easily backfire BIG TIME and get you slapped with a defamation suit that could cost you a bundle even if you win (I know of a case where this actually happened!). You may have him red handed in your mind but no matter how incriminating or even irrefutable the evidence if he is not charged and convicted then legally he has done nothing and you have no right to accuse him publicly, you may have gotten away with it that time but doing that could be extremely risky.

Fellas the fact is that no matter how mad we get going after someone in any vengeful manner, physical or public humiliation, is not legal and for a good reason, we are a nation of laws and it's up to the courts to charge, convict and deal out punishment. The laws simply do not give us the right to take out vengeance on someone, we may have good reason to do so and the person may be well deserving of everything they get but until they are tried and convicted they are INNOCENT in the eyes of the law and subject to protection the same as anyone else! Short of self protection taking it upon ourselves to inflict pain or public humiliation on someone else that has not been charged and convicted is a serious matter and can result in serious consequences!
    Wanted information leading to the arrest of this suspect insert photos. Suspect Ed crim theft if gas. Contact loacl pd with infromtaion. Cash reward upon conviction.

This is legal in all 50 states but checK with your local city / county Sherri D/A office.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    In MN anyone injured during commission of a crime can NOT sue the homeowner.
    I bet they can if injured by a booby trap!

BTW, you dye device is still a booby trap and it doesn't matter where the perp is hit! Like I said in another post it's easy to dispute me but in court it would be another matter.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Wanted information leading to the arrest of this suspect insert photos. Suspect Ed crim theft if gas. Contact loacl pd with infromtaion. Cash reward upon conviction.

This is legal in all 50 states but checK with your local city / county Sherri D/A office.
    That would probably work as long as you didn't identify by name, address, etc and called them a suspect and not a thief.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you made one that sprayed them with Mercaptans (skunk oil) it'd be hard for them to prove much, but, still risking a lawsuit. The laws in this country're just plain in favor of the bad guys, seems like.

Boolit Master

I suppose the dye or Mercaptans would likely be considered more of a prank than a booby trap and while not likely to cause legal problems unless someone was injured, every situation is different with many unknowns until the event actually happens so there will always be a risk.

All this talk of clever ways to "get even" with the thief might sound and feel good here but when a person takes a really objective look at it and see it as it is in the real world without the emotional attachment and desire for revenge then things change a lot. Short of becoming involved in a lawsuit the more real danger is retaliation or simply someone ending up with more harm to themselves than to the perp. Some people are going to argue against common sense simply because of the desire to believe in a "feel good" result even when deep down they know better but that won't change the real world. They can believe what they like if it makes them feel better but setting a gas can full of "something" is likely to do no more than cost them the price of a gas can (Priced one lately? Do they think the thief will return it?) and the cost of whatever contents are in it and all for what? It would take someone really stupid to steal a can and pour the contents into their tank without checking to see just what it is they have stolen. Even if they didn't intentionally check diesel fuel would be instantly identifiable when the perp starts to siphon or even pour it, that stuff STINKS and both gas and diesel have a very strong odor so it would be extremely unlikely the perp wouldn't know the difference, ditto with methanol, again a person can argue the point but those of us who have been around diesel and methanol (by the gallon as air line antifreeze) know better! In reality you simply lose a gas can and the perp would just pour the contents on the ground, oh but I would use a junk can someone might say! Well that would all but guarantee the perp would check to see what he's got! THINK about it!

The dye trick is also far more likely to backfire than result in getting the last laugh on the perp, would the perp who had just been sprayed with dye, ink, etc just back up and say "well I guess they got me" and then meekly leave or would he be more likely to be highly PO'ed and say something like "Ok wise guy you think you're smart then take this" and then kick in the car door, break the windshield or do some other act of revenge? I mean really, think these things through! Bashing me for raining on the parade does not change what is likely to happen, arguing the point might make some feel better because of what they would LIKE to believe but deep down most folks really know better or at least they would if they forget the fantasies and feel good stories and look objectively at the true possibilities (probabilities).
    Last edited by oldred; 10-02-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    Based on the above and my own observation over the years, if you want the protection of the law these days you have to break it first! So??? I honestly do not know what I would do if I had a thief problem, but I really doubt I would be likely to just pat it on its back and say "go forth and steal no more". Much more likely to wind up admitting oldred was right! At my age, just would not care!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    Nail thief. Don't talk about what happened to him. Sleep well.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Not sure what I'd do. Certainly put up "NO TRESPASSING" signs. I won't however, adopt a victim mentality as oldred quite obviously ascribes to.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I had friend (neighbor) who apparently was fixated at my two newer cars and decided to write to the headquarters of the Nassau County Police Department alledging that I was on the take. Well Nassau PD did not have me listed as their own so the sent it to Suffolk PD. They also denied have me in their employ and then they sent it to the NYCPD. Of course the NYCPD jumped all of that and passed me over for my overdue promotion to Sergeant for 8 months and of course they would never reveal the source of the allegation.

However I had a friend working in the Internal Affairs Bureau and I confirmed my guess that it was my neighbor. The next week he got a brand new Cadillac and someone jammed a few Idaho potatoes enema style into this cars' exhaust pipes. The car sat for a few days then it was towed off. It reappeared a week later and someone did it again! Then someone collected all the doogie solid and smelly waste possible and put it in a brown paper bag, placed it quietly on the cement porch, set it afire, rang the bell 3 times and ran off. The neighbor naturally stomped on the bag to put out the fire and made quite a mess. I got a chuckle out of that one. The someone got the bright idea to enrich and enlighten our neighbor by purchasing subscriptions to a few interesting magazines. A few of them (actually all) explore different approaches to life.. Man loves Boy is a nice one, along with Hot 9 year olds, a few gay magazines and a few more wherein he was taken to the world of transgenders and their ilk ad nausea . The thoughtful neighbor also included a few lesbian publications for the Mrs. Then one day a very large dump truck pulled into our neighbors driveway and deposited 18 cubic yards of crushed stone on the drive behind the Cadillac which again was constipated. The driver stepped down and presented the invoice for the product to our unsuspecting neighbor. My neighbor became unglued to put it mildly and I was LMAOTF.

There are about 9 different food delivery companies which will no longer accept any custom from our neighbor. One night during a dinner party with live music and dancing etc a Dominoes Pizza driver appears with 4 pizzas and seeking payment. Then a few minutes later 3 Pizza guys want to lay off their products at idiot neighbor and he is now screaming and pulling out hunks of hair from his head. I also took the opportunity to also enrich my neighbor's lifestyle by having him join various groups espousing causes pretty much opposite to his leftish leaning dufus personality via the interweb. I just got him a great gift from the NRA. All he has to do to get it is to pay for a lifetime membership. He is now registered as a Republican, a strict constitutionalist, loves coal, his bible, his flag and Trump. He also volunteers a lot but seldom leaves his house. He has changed his phone number pretty much every month and hark! I see the Seven Santini Brothers moving van pulling up in from of his house and he runs out of the house to hug the driver.

I don't get PO'd any more, now I get even. His false allegations were investigated and during this process which took almost two years my promotion to the rank of Sergeant in the NYCPD was delayed. This delay cost me well over $12,000 in wages and seniority down the road.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I won't however, adopt a victim mentality as oldred quite obviously ascribes to.

How am I adopting a victim mentality? Because I am not going to set my self up for a possible lawsuit and even a possible felony by setting a booby trap? Because I am not going to simply PO a perp by pulling silly pranks on him when I'm not around to stop him from retaliating? Or is it because I simply pointed out common sense reasons why pranks such as the dye setup is likely to cause far more problems than it solves? Where did I say to just give in? No where did I suggest anyone just throw up their hands and give in to these guys, I have suggested to use COMMON SENSE as some others also have by taking a sensible approach and doing something like taking pictures and working with the police. Another thing I personally would do, and I have been surprised it has not been mentioned yet, is that I would confront the perp while he was in the act!

No I am NOT taking a victim mentality but I'm not going to do anything stupid either!

Boolit Master
    Just sit in a lawn chair in the shadows near the truck with a nice ole ball bat or a piece of 500mc copper wire and teach him some manners his daddy should have taught him.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Oldred, I'm afraid you are in the same position I was in during a thread about a dog being abused. Just let them go and move on to something else. BTW, I agree with you on these traps and revengeful schemes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Just sit in a lawn chair in the shadows near the truck with a nice ole ball bat or a piece of 500mc copper wire and teach him some manners his daddy should have taught him.
    Depending on the perps size I am a bit too old and broken down to attempt that but my hat is off to you, a real good butt kicking is the one thing the owner is likely to get away with!

When I said I would confront them I meant (in my case anyway) that I would confront them with that aforementioned shotgun and it wouldn't be loaded with rock salt! However I have to be realistic about even that, while I certainly would not be bluffing if the perp decided to escalate the situation and I would not hesitate to do whatever necessary to protect myself there is little we can do (legally) if they decided to do the opposite and run away. We can try to hold them at gunpoint until the law arrives but if they decide to just give you a one finger salute and laugh at you as they turn and walk away we have few (legal) options other than to just let them go. It sucks, it really does but the fact is shooting a fleeing burglar, especially an unarmed one, will land a person in the big house so fast their shadow won't be able to keep up, unfortunately a lot of these guys are all too aware of that!
    Last edited by oldred; 10-02-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    There sure is an awful lot of legal (and some illegal Ha!) advice in this thread.

It's interesting to see the differences in police attitudes in different areas.

We've been having a rash of robberies in the neighborhood here, mostly petty stuff going missing from cars, a scooter got stolen, I think a lawnmower as well. The police have been out canvasing the neighborhood after every crime. I've got security cameras, but we haven't been hit. (Our super long driveway may be a deterrent... or our crappy old cars) The cops have asked me to keep an eye on the camera footage and let them know if I find anything suspicious. They were very clear that having video footage of the criminals would be helpful in both solving the crimes, and in prosecution.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Oldred, I'm afraid you are in the same position I was in during a thread about a dog being abused. Just let them go and move on to something else. BTW, I agree with you on these traps and revengeful schemes.
    It usually goes that way, people like feel good stories and tend to get a bit ruffled if someone points out possible flaws, however in real life that kind of thing usually doesn't go so smoothly. We have probably all heard of cases where a normally law abiding person was charged while a low life that was injured got off scot-free and maybe even sued for damages but the law is what it is for a reason and we can't just ignore it. We may not agree with it and not like it but that doesn't change the way things are, feel good stories and advice can conveniently ignore the law and following advice such as that is one way those law abiding victims can end up in more trouble than the perp!.

Just one example of how this kind of talk can backfire when people follow through with it, I think it likely that most everyone here has at one time or another heard the old line (or some variation of it) that if you have to shoot someone outside your house, in your yard, etc then drag them in the house because no jury will convict someone for shooting an intruder. About 10 or so years ago that very thing happened not 5 miles from where I live, two neighbors got into an argument over loud music and one of them came over to the music player's home armed with a piece of metal pipe. The argument escalated into the music player confronting the neighbor who had come into his front yard and was yelling obscenities at him and threatening him with a beating, a fight ensued and to prevent the music player from being beaten with the pipe a relative stepped out of the house and shot the aggressor who died from the wound. In the panic that followed that old BS advise came up about dragging the body inside, these folks learned the hard way about listening to old tales! Suffice it to say that it was quite clearly a justified shooting and all would have ended well had they just called the police and told the truth, as it was for various charges one of them was sentenced to 12 years IIRC and two others involved got 2 years each for their part.

Sometimes when feel good fantasy and reality collide the result is all too often not what some folks might expect!
    Last edited by oldred; 10-02-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Master

I have to admit that's a dose of reality, Oldred.

This reminds me a bit of one of the things I try to teach my kids about driving in particular, and life in general. As it relates to driving, there have been times in my life when I've really been taught a lesson. It's usually when some idiot does something rude or crazy. For example, I was in a line of traffic passing a truck one day when a car comes flying up on the right, behind the truck, obviously intending to cut in. I was close to passing the truck so he was clearly intending on cutting in front of me.

It ticked me off so I closed the gap with the car in front of me, figuring I'd teach the jerk a lesson and he'd be stuck behind the truck until it was his turn. He sped up, tailgating the truck, then pushed over into my lane, with me in it! I stepped on the brake to barely avoid an accident, letting him cut in and go on his merry little way.

Who was taught a lesson? ME! I learned to stay away from crazy. I learned that whoever that dirtbag was, my safety was more important to me than his safety was to him. I was tailgating the car in front of me to keep him from cutting me off. I could have and probably should have gotten a ticket for that, and if there had been an accident I would have shared in the blame.

I've had to learn that lesson more than once over the years, but now I just let them go. Protecting my own physical and legal safety sometimes means letting a jerk get away with something. Personally I wouldn't even consider doing anything legally risky. It could easily end up costing a lot more than a few gallons of gas. I don't say that lightly either. I absolutely despise a thief, and hate seeing them get away with it, but the world is full of jerks and thieves. Always has been, always will. You'll never "teach them a lesson", the best you can do is to just protect yourself, and sometimes that really means just letting it go.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast