Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: the low lifes are stealing gas from me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The purpose of installing cameras is to identify or at least attempt to identify the thieves.

The police likely know the suspects or can use the images to identify the suspects. Once the identity of the suspects is established the next step is to prosecute them for the theft. The police may have reports of other thefts in the area and will want to clear those cases and make multiple arrests if possible. The images will not only assist in identifying the thieves, the images will be valuable evidence in court.
    By obtaining images and providing those images to the police you are helping yourself and more important- you are helping your neighbors. It is a civic duty to combat crime and the police cannot do it alone.

The goal of obtaining images isn't to make Youtube videos or "wanted" posters to shame the perpetrators; the goal is to gather evidence to assist in arresting and prosecuting the thieves.
    Right on!

A clear level headed approach is always the best, a person trying to take the law into their own hands or tying to exact revenge on the perp will often cause more trouble than it stops, many times with very expensive repercussions. Some of these things to get even might seem like a good idea at the time but a lot of these feel good moments can come back to bite someone in ways they might never expect!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Look, trail cam wont really do any good even if clear face pic
    Police wont di anything unless you catch in the act. I'd install photo sensitive light. And I've got the hf, 10 dollar Alarm at end of my drive, it works well. Dont set Booby trap...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Look, trail cam wont really do any good even if clear face pic
    Police wont di anything unless you catch in the act. I'd install photo sensitive light. And I've got the hf, 10 dollar Alarm at end of my drive, it works well. Dont set Booby trap...
    You're right about the pic, I ran into that very thing while trying to catch some dumpers at a secluded spot along a back road here that was becoming an illegal garbage dump. We finally caught enough of them in the act to put a stop to it but until they were actually caught in the live act of doing the deed an arrest could not be made as the trail cam pictures were not enough. HOWEVER, as pointed out by someone else those pics can be a very valuable asset in court and while alone they might not be enough for an arrest they can help very much in obtaining a conviction when the perp is finally arrested.

The trail cam pictures by themselves may not be enough but they are a valuable asset in the process and a darn good start.

Boolit Grand Master

They used to make a spring that went in the filler which was a closed end tapered coil that wouldn't allow hoses past it. It was like the battery spring in a flashlight. Once installed its there and dosnt affect any thing. Simple effective and cheap I believe they were less than $10.00 years ago. Nice thing with them is they protect wherever the car is not just in the driveway.

Boolit Grand Master

The wife's vehicle and mine do not have gas caps or locking gas doors, they have built in anti-siphon features but without a locking gas door something could be poured into the tank.
    Charter Member #148

I had a $2k mower stolen from me and same day officer said to my face unless you stop them in the act, they couldn't not wouldn't do anything but write me a report. Photo is only good if you use to buttress your case. Had a guy drive off with boy scouts trailer with over 10k of their kayaks and camping gear. Too bad.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Side note sugar and sugary syrups don't dissolve in gasoline so that trick is a waste of gas and sugar. Mythbusters had a segment on ways to destroy a car engine,they dumped quite a bit of sugar in the tank ran the engine for quite a while and no stoppage. Trail cameras and motion detectors linked to your cell phone or computer are your best bet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    They used to make a spring that went in the filler which was a closed end tapered coil that wouldn't allow hoses past it. It was like the battery spring in a flashlight. Once installed its there and dosnt affect any thing. Simple effective and cheap I believe they were less than $10.00 years ago. Nice thing with them is they protect wherever the car is not just in the driveway.
    The problem with that kind of deterrent is the thief can then resort to cutting the hose to the tank, a lot easier to do than it might seem on some cars and on most trucks it's quite simple.

Banned
    * Report the theft.
    * Provide the images to the police.

The police CAN investigate a past crime and do it ALL of the time. The only question is; "is the past crime worth investigating"?
    The police are not going to divert resources and spend days investigation a minor crime that is likely to go unsolved. HOWEVER, the police will investigate a theft, or a series of thefts, that will likely result in arrests and convictions.

If some officer says he/she will not investigate a past larceny, he or she is just lazy. Make the report and follow up with his/her supervisor.

There's no requirement that the person committing the crime must "be caught in the act" in order to be prosecuted. Any officer that claims a person cannot be prosecuted for a past larceny is either ignorant of the law or just plain lazy.

The police WILL investigate a past larceny, particularly one with videos or still images that make identification of the suspect possible.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Side note sugar and sugary syrups don't dissolve in gasoline so that trick is a waste of gas and sugar. Mythbusters had a segment on ways to destroy a car engine,they dumped quite a bit of sugar in the tank ran the engine for quite a while and no stoppage. Trail cameras and motion detectors linked to your cell phone or computer are your best bet.
    Right and I also don't understand all these posts suggesting diesel fuel, methanol, sugar, etc???????? What are you folks suggesting, putting that stuff in the tank in the hopes the thief will then steal it????? I mean how else would the thief get it if they didn't siphon it from the tank? This just makes no sense, why on Earth would someone pour junk into their own tank in an attempt to retaliate against a thief? First of all would the thief even come back? Then the owner would be faced with draining and flushing their own tank and for what, the chance the thief might strike again before the vehicle is needed again? If I am missing something then please explain just how folks are supposed to get these perps to steal the junk that is supposed to "get even with them"? Do you think even a gas thief wouldn't know the difference between diesel or methanol and gasoline? I seriously doubt any thief could be ticked into siphoning diesel, methanol etc and be made to think he had stolen gasoline since they are so different. All of those have a VERY strong odor that would be highly unlikely to go unnoticed and all but the dumbest of the dumb would instantly know he wasn't stealing gasoline! If I am missing the idea behind the methods of those suggestions then someone please enlighten me.

Boolit Master
    Can you park the vehicle so close to a structure that they can't get to the gas cap? That should also reduce crawling under to cut the hose. You may have to crawl over to the passenger side to get out. If they can still crawl under the vehicle and get to the hose then an infrared sensor could send a signal to a siren or light in the house. Keep it completely in the vehicle with a hidden on/ off switch.

Boolit Master

I had a problem with thief stealing diesel fuel out of my road tractor one winter so I shut off the tank transfer line and dumped about 25 gallons of gas in the diesel tank he was siphoning fuel from. A day later his furnace exploded and burned his trailer to the ground. End of problem!

Years ago we had someone stealing gas off a job site and so one Friday the boss had me fill the tank with water. Monday we had two local guys not come in to work both had a bad case of water in their truck tanks. When they finally showed up the boss told both of them “If one gallon of gas comes up missing you two are fired and give me your keys!”we never lost any more gas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Well it's also an old joke and well known "urban legend", known as the "dreaded unleaded" story it has been around for many years,

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dreaded-unleaded/

I even remember the commentator Paul Harvey telling that one as far back as the 70's or early 80's! Like most Urban legends it "may" have happened somewhere at some time but that old tale is a well worn old joke that has made the rounds for years in many versions.
    And I believed it when I heard about it, Now I am so heart broken that Karma didn't happen. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    And I believed it when I heard about it, Now I am so heart broken that Karma didn't happen. Regards Stephen
    Of all the common urban legends out there that one was one that it seems everyone wanted to be true!

When you actually think about it however and see how the sewer tank is accessed on just about any of those motor homes and where the access port is located it would be highly unlikely that a person would get them confused, oh well it's still fun to think that yes it just "could have" really happened somewhere at some time.

Boolit Master
    I worked with a young lady who grew up in Georgia (The USSR one). She made lots or observations about America, one being, that she was shocked at all the car ports full of junk here, while the cars were parked in the drive and on the street. She said if you'd have done that over there you would'nt have a car very long! I guess that's where were heading!

Boolit Grand Master

Stories like this make me feel fortunate to have a closed in garage and a shop to park my vehicles in. I agree, the best thing probably would be to get a camera that sends pictures to your phone.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Right and I also don't understand all these posts suggesting diesel fuel, methanol, sugar, etc???????? What are you folks suggesting, putting that stuff in the tank in the hopes the thief will then steal it????? I mean how else would the thief get it if they didn't siphon it from the tank? This just makes no sense, why on Earth would someone pour junk into their own tank in an attempt to retaliate against a thief? First of all would the thief even come back? Then the owner would be faced with draining and flushing their own tank and for what, the chance the thief might strike again before the vehicle is needed again? If I am missing something then please explain just how folks are supposed to get these perps to steal the junk that is supposed to "get even with them"? Do you think even a gas thief wouldn't know the difference between diesel or methanol and gasoline? I seriously doubt any thief could be ticked into siphoning diesel, methanol etc and be made to think he had stolen gasoline since they are so different. All of those have a VERY strong odor that would be highly unlikely to go unnoticed and all but the dumbest of the dumb would instantly know he wasn't stealing gasoline! If I am missing the idea behind the methods of those suggestions then someone please enlighten me.

The suggestion is leave a 5 gallon gas can of contaminate next to the car like you had to gas it and didn't have time. Scum steals it and pours it in their fuel tank...

Moderator Emeritus

My former meth head neighbor was stealing gas from my truck. I rigged a switch and small tank and hose facing out the gas tank door. Ope door switch fired up a high pressure mini pump and sprayed him with purple dye.. He had a hard time facing me for a month...

Boolit Master

Dad had someone stealing gas from his farm truck 1 or 2 times a week a few years back

He borrowed my brothers truck and parked it where his truck was always parked

The next morning he found a car along the road 2 or 3 miles from his place
    My brothers truck used diesel and the best I can guess the car was almost empty when they filled the tank LOL

I agree no traps , but around here a picture and the police take interest if you say you want to press charges

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast