Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: New to Forum- Left hand Shooter/gun question

Boolit Mold

Smile New to Forum- Left hand Shooter/gun question

Hi All! Brand new forum member here and first post...

I am a left handed shooter and interested in purchasing a black powder rifle with percussion cap. (cap and ball style)

I have noticed that there are some left hand action rifles out there, but there are far more options in Right Hand.

I have shot a right hand rifle a few times at my club when swapping stories with a fellow member. It was a RH gun, and didn't really seem to be a problem, other than a bit more smoke and sparks in my face than I am used to...

Before making a rifle purchase, I was hoping to get some feedback from the experts here on the the use of a right hand action by a lefty shooter.

I am looking at a reproduction type rifle that would be somewhat period correct and this would be a range gun, not for hunting.

Iron Sights only, no optics, wood and brass, etc. (Traditional type rifle)

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Super Moderator

First, Welcome to Cast Boolits! I'm right handed, but lost vision in my right eye in 2003. I shoot a right handed 54 Cal Lyman Deerstalker (lefthanded) with no issues. ALWAYS wear good eye protection, and you will be fine. Keep right hand away from the lock area when firing also. Best of luck!

Boolit Master

I'm right handed but left eye dominant so have always used right handed rifles for left handed shooting. I've never had an issue, matter of fact, left handed rifles seem awkward to me.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I have a dominate left eye. I shoot all my long guns off the left shoulder. Caplocks and flintlocks, all are right hand guns.

Boolit Master
    I started left handed, didn't mind right handed rifles too much. If I had a dominant eye it doesn't matter now they're about the same. Over time you might become ambidextrous. It happened to me a few years ago and I no longer have a preference.
    The only difference I've found is with a stocks that are cut specifically for right handed shooters. One of my rifles will group about 6" right if I shoot it from the left shoulder.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all... I forgot that some rifles are cast for a right hand shooter... I know a lot of shotguns are, but didnt think about rifles.

Will keep this updated when I find a rifle! Looking on the Swappin and Sellin section next!

If you are looking for a lyman great plains rifle in left hand, send me a message. I switched over to left hand rifles. I feel like you are not playing level with other guys using guns designed for their dominate side.
    T

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've used a right handed rifle on the left side for a long time without any problems . Left eye has always focused better than the right . I just got use to the smoke and all while concentrating on the sights .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    If your left handed, why settle for a right handed rifle? They are out there , if you search. Keep that lock as far away from your face, as possible. I have two left handed muzzies. Renegade and a Dixie Tennessee mountain rifle. Have lefthanded centerfires, as well.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Make sure you don't let a nipple rust out too large.
    I am right handed and shoot righty too. I got blasted in the face by an original that had an over size flash hole in the nipple. I had black chunks of powder under the skin of my face for about 15 or 20 years.
    EDG

Or you could buy a Thompson Center Encore which is either handed. I realize it's not a traditional Cap and Ball type gun, but by far a better shooter.

Easier to clean, easier to load, easier to shoot well. To change it from right to left handed you simply rotate the hammer spur to the left side.

Also you can buy interchangeable barrels in just about any caliber known to man for the same gun.

my .02 Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Not one suggestion for an under hammer .........
    I'm also cross dominant right hand left eye . Getting the lock on the correct side is a big deal . Fragments and gas vent are the reasons .
    With an under rifle the lock is centered in the bottom of the barrel . So any flash debris go down and mostly away from the shooter . Most of the originals wee're target rifles having the advantage of the movement distraction removed from line of sight as well as having hammer release and impact torque removed . It also much like the Ithica 37 and BPS takes the left/right components out of the equation .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .