MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Marlin 512?

Boolit Master

Marlin 512?

LGS has one for $240.00 and it looks to have been shot very little. I was thinking of picking it up just to have something different to try and load for. This seems a good price from what I found looking at GB. Anyone have one and what are you thoughts on it compared to other rifled barrel offerings?
    Thanks

I have one i bought new in 1997. Abit on the heavy side but a strong good shooter. That is a fair price for a 512 in good shape.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned one for several years. A bit heavy, but very accurate.
    Dennis

Boolit Master
    I’ve had the 512 , Savage 210F and the Browning A-Bolt . The Browning felt the best in my hands and the Savage shot the best at 100 yards and like others said the Marlin was kinda heavy or bulky . At the moment my only rifles bolt action slug gun is the Savage 220 20 gauge .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I have 2- 512's scoped with Nikon Prostaff shotgun scopes. Yes, they are heavy but they have taken a lot of deer. My buddy has a Savage 220 & if I was going to get something else that is what it would be. I just bought this 2nd one from a friend who bought it after trying mine out years ago. They don't have much of a market now that the 220's are so common. I paid $150 with it scoped. I couldn't turn it down. I find the Hornady SST's work the best for me. I also picked up a spare magazine on clearance marked for models 50, 55, Coast to Coast 650, JC PENNY 6630, Western Field EMN 171, 175, 176 3" paid $12 not the $40-50 they want for the 512 mag.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 11-02-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I have 2- 512's scoped with Nikon Prostaff shotgun scopes. Yes, they are heavy but they have taken a lot of deer. My buddy has a Savage 220 & if I was going to get something else that is what it would be. I just bought this 2nd one from a friend who bought it after trying mine out years ago. They don't have much of a market now that the 220's are so common. I paid $150 with it scoped. I couldn't turn it down. I find the Hornady SST's work the best for me. I also picked up a spare magazine on clearance marked for models 50, 55, Coast to Coast 650, JC PENNY 6630, Western Field EMN 171, 175, 176 3" paid $12 not the $40-50 they want for the 512 mag.
    Boy, I'd like to have an extra mag at that price.
    Dennis

Boolit Master
    I want to cast my own S&W 500 bullets to use in sabots to see how they work.

Boolit Master

I have a 512 and I'm very happy with it. If you haven't done much looking into them, there is a catalog note that some 3" ammo with a roll crimp might not fit the magazine. Also, my experience with two different magazines is that it does not function well with two 3" rounds in the magazine, no problem with 2 3/4". I've studied the magazine and tried to adjust the position but with the top round and the extra 1/4" length of shell; it will not strip into the chamber and instead goes high. I prefer it as a 3" with two shots and have been running it that way.

I free floated the barrel on mine back to the lug, and it shoots Lightfield Hybrid Elites with exceptional accuracy out to 100-yards; 2.3 MOA. Mine is setup with the Weaver 1-3x22.

When you go back to the various gun reports for the period, the firearm could hold its own against any of them. I don't see many slug guns here in South Texas, but if I saw another clean 512, I would buy it.

This is with the Lightfield Hybrid Elites 3" at 50-yards. Shot on left was the first shot, adjusted the windage, and sent three into the same hole.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I want to cast my own S&W 500 bullets to use in sabots to see how they work.
    You may have to put a GC on them or mill off the GC shank or swage the GC shank smooth or PP or goop that GC shank so that it does not mess up your sabot. What sabots were you intending on using? As for the bullet itself would work good to great coming out to the barrel accurately from the 1200 to 1600 fps range.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Great shooter, HARD kicker. change pad and/or Mercury in stock. I use a Leupold heavy cross haired shotgun scopes. They have a great warranty for sure. Watched it fall 8 feet to land flat on the scope. They rebuilt it and sent the lab notes and check sheet back with it in about 2 weeks. Had bought the same them for second Illinois Deer Season. Final note, the triggers NEED work.

Boolit Master

I resighted the Marlin in with the Lightfields. I started with the 3" Hybred Elites and stopped. There is no way I can hang on to the rifle with a yoked camera tripod from my popup chair, it is a handful and it hurts. This is with me shooting with a foam panel live jacket on. It is brutal. Not so with the 2 3/4". This ammo delivers the accuracy I'm going to judge my handloads with.

After the three-shot string, I adjusted the windage to the right and thought I would pop a 6" gong that hangs out there at 100 yards. That was a mistake. It knocked the heck out of it, busting one of the heavy chains with the pop.
    Michael

RD,

Have you measured the groove diameter of your 512? Mine messured 0.727" at the muzzle, but a recovered fullbore cast slug measured 0.725". A tight barrel might make it bark a bit more. My other 12ga rifled slug guns measure 0.732" or larger.

BB

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    I have a 512 and wondered about lengthening the Forcing Cone. I all ready have the tool to do it with. Also the second gun I am pondering doing that to is a Beretta rifled barrel..?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    I have a 512 and wondered about lengthening the Forcing Cone. I all ready have the tool to do it with. Also the second gun I am pondering doing that to is a Beretta rifled barrel..?
    How does it shoot? I wouldn't mess with the forcing cone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    RD,

Have you measured the groove diameter of your 512? Mine messured 0.727" at the muzzle, but a recovered fullbore cast slug measured 0.725". A tight barrel might make it bark a bit more. My other 12ga rifled slug guns measure 0.732" or larger.
    Yep, measured it for an Accurate bullet. It is .730". We have had a lot of rain, I tired to recover some slugs from my berm but they are driven back further than I can dig in the clay.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Clay, new to slug guns. Why would you lengthen the forcing cone?

NY, two 512s, now you are messing with my emotions!
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

I always liked those 512's for some unknown reason. When they first came out I almost bought one and wish I had. They look "right" to me and I like the wood stock. Wish I had one but I doubt I'll find a used one in Canada.

Boolit Master

This is about factory ammo with the 512; I got around to measuring the 100-yard, three-shot groups with the Lightfield Hybred Elite 2 3/4" and 3". They both are 1.2XX MOA. Normally, I don't think three shots as making a group. The first five-shot group was a waste as I could not measure the individual shots, it was just a 1 1/2" hole in the target. The groups were measured with the TMT Precision Records software.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    I group near cloverleafs at 100 off a bench using Hornaday 2 3/4 SSTs I’d like to get a cast load I tried 1 oz lee slug nothing to write home about