Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: update on my lee 309 160 mold (thanks everyone)

update on my lee 309 160 mold (thanks everyone)

ended up lee menting the mold. problem child was the font cavity but did both. done, doing these is unnerving to me. fudge up a mold last time I tried. could not get the screws to bite into the lead even with a pilot hole. so I took the phillps head bite for a drill just like the screw up with the center and started working the polish.

did not cavity with mother mag and aluminum polish did the other with rubbing compound, both did great. cleaned up the mold. heated the mold up on a burn for a while. wiped out with. started casting

did not smoke either mold or use dry lube at the start of the casting session. front cavity stuck. smoked it. drop out right when I open the cavity. about 10 boolits in the rear cavity started to stick smoked it. no problems until 20. rear stuck again. one more round of two. looked at the top of the mold. wiped it off with a cloth as well as the bottom of the spur plate. next set, the front cavity boolet went fling across my casting area, I just opened the mold a little

around 70 boolits later. I called it. was only wanting to do maybe 20 lol

long story short thanks for all the advise. did give a good try but had to do the lee ment. going to add wiping the top of the mold and the bottom of the spur plate every 10 to 20 sets.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for letting us know what worked in the end. So many requests for help and advice without resolution.
    This way the next person looking to solve this issue knows better what to try first.

Boolit Grand Master

I just love a story with a happy ending ! ATTABOY

I used to smoke my moulds also but when I found how well dry lube coating worked I stopped
    smoking , leaves moulds much cleaner and helps prevents rust.
    No more pesky soot to clean off .
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-29-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I was try to see if it would drop without anything, smoking was the safest at casting temps. Do have have another issue. If is what I think it is. Should not be hard to fix