Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gun Locks...not so tough

Gun Locks...not so tough

My son in law lost his keychain a few weeks ago at a sales conference. He had his trigger lock key on it. It was the only one he had. So today he brought the shotgun by the house so I could "work" on it. (hunting trip tomorrow) It was a Master brand so I thought it would be pretty rugged.

To make a long story short and several broken cut-off wheels for my dremel (wrong tool for the job obviously)....I decided to use the Diamond impregnated cut-off wheel on my grinder. It cut through that thing like butter. A little prying with a screwdriver and a turn of the bolt...and it was apart....less than 5 minutes.

Moral of the story.....Gun Locks are ONLY good at keeping little hands from getting into trouble. But for us adults with the right tools...piece of cake to remove it without a key.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

A lock smith can pop up I. 30 seconds without cutting the lock.

5 seconds if he cuts it.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Probably true...but then it would have cost me $20+ in fees. I thought I did pretty good at 5 minutes.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

If all it did was to keep my 7 grand kids hands off and safe, that's all I ask.

Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how many Key numbers are used by Master for their trigger locks?
    I have a box full of misc trigger locks....and I bet other members here have many as well.
    If you posted in S&S for a Key with a specific number (the number could be given via PM for privacy), I wonder how likely one of us might have it ?

yeah, I know the lock is cut...I'm just thinking out loud.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Saw a video where the guy used a section of pop can to open locks. He cut a t shaped piece of the can and formed it around the haspslode it down in and turned it it sloped between the hasp and lock bar opening the lock. was like opening a locked door with a credit card

Boolit Master
    I have a drawer full of old keys, I never throw them away. Give me a minute, I can find one in my collection that will fit just about any conventional lock.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Yeah guys...if I had the time, I would have put out a plea for keys. But my SIL contacted me less than 16 hours before our hunt was to start. I didn't have much choice but to cut it off...and move on. I do appreciate your willingness to offer keys and info. I did what I did in the short order...and it worked out great. We had a fun time small game hunting in NH today.

redhawk

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    If all it did was to keep my 7 grand kids hands off and safe, that's all I ask.
    I agree...100%. I wouldn't want my new grandson getting to curious with my many firearms...I'll be keeping them locked up from his little hands too.

redhawk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Where I used to live, the thieves used cutoff wheels a lot to break in to gates etc.; Sadly hard to catch them, until the property owners start putting cell phone transponders attached to each gate telling them the gate has been opened or something. (Hmmm maybe I should build that as a product?) In WA state it seems the poachers have it all down to a "science" and are fast to get in and out; Lots of hunters here are rather eager to turn them in due to Hoof Rot and other issues (like Wolves eating many Deer and Elk, to the point that Cougars are hungry and starting to eye humans as food...) Not a good situation.

Boolit Master
    I did a service call a couple months ago behind a locked gate that was left open for me. I spent 5 hours hiking a solar water system and when I came out found the gate locked. Out came the Makita 18V grinder with 4.5" cutoff wheel, 30 seconds later both halves of the last link of Hardened Steel Chain were laying in the dirt. I left the pieces there to let them know too many mistakes like that and the chain won't be long enough to lock.

Abrasives are awesome compared to when I was a kid. I bought several sets of grinding stones with my allowance only to have the metal win and the stones a pile of dust. Just bought my first 14" Carbide dry-cut metal chop saw. We have really good tools available today.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Around here - They put the lock up inside an armored housing. So - The poachers just cut the metal tube of the gate off, near the lock. Cutoff wheels are awesome tools, but like any tool, can be abused by evil folks.