RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fudd mentality

Boolit Master

fudd mentality

whats up with the fudd mentality among shooters. almost never see it anywhere else, but shooters, typically as they get older like to insult how others do things if it differs from their way. i see it here on this forum, see it at the gun range. do the blanket insults about anyone who does things differently make the fudds feel good about their narrow minded views? personally , i think it should stop, we as shooters should support each others choices about how we enjoy our sport without having to insult or belittle others. if you have to be a fudd, keep it to yourself!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    whats up with the fudd mentality among shooters. almost never see it anywhere else, but shooters, typically as they get older like to insult how others do things if it differs from their way. i see it here on this forum, see it at the gun range. do the blanket insults about anyone who does things differently make the fudds feel good about their narrow minded views? personally , i think it should stop, we as shooters should support each others choices about how we enjoy our sport without having to insult or belittle others. if you have to be a fudd, keep it to yourself!
    I absolutely agree. That type of mentality is detrimental to our sport, and those responsible should be ashamed of displaying it publicly. Scaring/running off new shooters and young shooters just because they want to do something differently helps no one at all.

The elitist attitude that some shooters display in regards to gun, gear, and powder is also bad for our sport.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Lefty we all do things the way we learned, what way is right. The one that you use to create that special load that does what you want.
    We can mentor those who ask us to help and pass on the knowledge we have gained. You are right when you say quit criticising and encourage.

Boolit Master
    But you have to be aware of what is fudd mentality against someone trying to help someone who doesn't really want any help. There's a fine line between being helpful and being a know it all. If someone's break-action single shot rifle opens up after each shot, is it wrong to suggest that his loads may be a bit too much or perhaps his brass really does need trimming? Or do we just collect our stuff and move as far away as possible......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

If it is a safety issue I think we should speak up. I don't want to see anyone lose his eyesight or fingers over something I see him doing wrong. If it is procedurally or personal difference we should keep our mouth shut.

Boolit Master
    Just way people are, its everything. Guns, cars, music, politics. I was friends with some who worked at a gun shop. You think hey there you go, deals galore. Nope bought all of one gun, and it was a bubba mosin he got screwed on. he gave the guy $250 trade value, I paid $50 cash.

It was his own ignorance. He only likes AR15 anything else is junk so has no knowledge of them. Would think the scope flopping loose was a give away, or the strips of aluminum foil as shims, or that the stock looked like someone sanded it with a hack saw. He asked me since i like 'weird' guns. Fired it, had to beat the bolt open with a chunk of wood, parts gun $50. No his boss sat on it a few months as if anybody with ANY knowledge of Mosins would buy it. Finally would take $50. He could have with 5 min effort sold the timney trigger, the rock solid mount, the bent bolt handle. And it was a Finland made mosin. Beating the bolt open was simply because bubba did not cut the stock where the bolt closed all the way. A stock I had in the garage, some rings from my bag of random ones and it shoots fine.

But I tend to be a little open minded, if it goes bang and bullets come out the end, I will shoot it. So what if its 'weird'. Actually the weirder the better.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Try the first, if that doesn't work, move away & mention it to the RSO?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    But you have to be aware of what is fudd mentality against someone trying to help someone who doesn't really want any help. There's a fine line between being helpful and being a know it all. If someone's break-action single shot rifle opens up after each shot, is it wrong to suggest that his loads may be a bit too much or perhaps his brass really does need trimming? Or do we just collect our stuff and move as far away as possible......
    absolutely not what im getting at. more along the lines of, you dont reload exactly like i do, so your not a handloader or cant be as accurate, or if someone does some rapid fire at the range (safely), it seems there is always an old guy who isnt even looking that has to comment about what a waste of ammo, or bet he didnt hit anything, etc. in general people making blanket statements about others because they do not do it the same way, and generally the statements are horsedoodie.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    absolutely not what im getting at. more along the lines of, you dont reload exactly like i do, so your not a handloader or cant be as accurate, or if someone does some rapid fire at the range (safely), it seems there is always an old guy who isnt even looking that has to comment about what a waste of ammo, or bet he didnt hit anything, etc. in general people making blanket statements about others because they do not do it the same way, and generally the statements are horsedoodie.
    What do you have against us "old guys"?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    What do you have against us "old guys"?
    only the old guys who have to criticize others for not doing things exactly as they do, right or wrong. im almost old myself, but ive learned better.

Boolit Grand Master

There is always more than one way to skin a squirrel...they all work and my way isn't the only way.
    I may be old but I'm tolerant and criticize no one .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    There is always more than one way to skin a squirrel...they all work and my way isn't the only way.
    I may be old but I'm tolerant and criticize no one .
    Same here. I'd rather try the helpful approach first. If the situation is still going to be unsafe, I'll just get away from there. It's one reason I go to the boonies instead of our public range...It's a lot safer out there!

I usually just stay out of it unless ask. But when some camo clad guy shows up and plays battle rattle with his AR or AK and then complains about my noisy 50AE Desert Eagle I just smile and pick up his brass when he leaves cause its too loud.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I see this frequently when a young(er) guy with an AR-15 shows up at the range. The benchrest shooters turn their noses up, ask him why he needs an AK-47, and resume shooting bughole groups. Same thing when someone with a shotgun that they bought on sale at Wal Mart shows up to a Skeet or Sporting Clays match. The guys with the Kolars and other high-end shotguns turn up their noses at him. Right up until he outshoots them.

You see it at gun clubs that are run by a group of old-timers who don't want any new blood, but complain that the club is dying because all the members keep passing away. They won't let anyone who isn't just like them join, but that can't be the problem!

I've experienced it personally when I was shooting one of my flintlocks at a range. A guy walked up and asked me to move to the other end of the range because the wind was blowing my smoke in his direction. Okay, no biggie. Then he commenced to tell me how inaccurate muzzle loaders are, and asked me if I was even hitting my target. Well yes, actually, this load will print 3 inch groups on a good day, which will consistently put meat in the pot. Well, he only shoots custom high-end bolt guns with German scopes, and they had better group into 1/2" or less! Oh, that's nice. He turned up his nose and walked away. Whatever.

My point is that we need to keep an open mind. People who don't shoot the same type of gun that you do are still shooters and gun owners, and we all need to stick together. The 'other side' loves to see us divided and eating our own - the duck hunters versus the machine gunners mentality.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

No Fudd problems at my club because i only shoot on weekdays early in the morning. I am usually packed up and gone before anyone else arrives. I am mostly deaf so if a Fudd did show up i would just say my hearing aid batteries are dead.

BB

Boolit Master

All guns are OK - unless it's not a 6.5 Creedmore. And all mustard is OK - unless it's not Gray Poupon ! lol

Boolit Grand Master

I have had the reverse at times with younger shooters spouting off what was doing wasn't right. One memorable one stated the 45-70 and 45-90 were never actually loaded with black powder and doing so was unsafe) I had a Sharps brochardt in 45-70 sitting on the bench and a Hepburn 45-90. He went on to state BP wasn't as consistant ballistically. I left him ramble and nodded, it was a show for his buddies and I didn't need to get into that.

It isn't always the older shooters that are opininated and stubborn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have had the reverse at times with younger shooters spouting off what was doing wasn't right. One memorable one stated the 45-70 and 45-90 were never actually loaded with black powder and doing so was unsafe) I had a Sharps brochardt in 45-70 sitting on the bench and a Hepburn 45-90. He went on to state BP wasn't as consistant ballistically. I left him ramble and nodded, it was a show for his buddies and I didn't need to get into that.

It isn't always the older shooters that are opininated and stubborn.
    no, its not always the old guys.

Boolit Master
    A long time since I had a young guy say anything about old guns.....they think they are a waste of time........last memorable incident was a Chinese tourist came up and asked if he could take pictures of my 94 .....Is this a cowboy gun?........yep,sho nuff.........I did have an old guy watching me shooting cast ,after five shots he says.......youd better stop now,or you will never get the lead out of the barrel.....then he says something like the guns going to blow up if the barrel gets blocked.....Then his son comes over and says "Is dad bothering you....hes a bit senile"......No he s OK,hes not bothering me......I could be like that in a few years time.

A declining appreciation for the value of experience

....... devided by.........

A largely tool based activity,when compared with a "skill only" based example.

Above would be the calculation. If I had to look at the problem from a social p.o.v.,

Old guys figured it out themselves, or either with the help of mentors and lots of scratching for printed material.... Young guys,"Google it"... in a,"just add water" methodology.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast