Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fudd mentality

Between mentors and Reading books & magazines, and learning by doing, I was very gun savvy by age 18. When someone approached me at the range, I'd give them a minute to size them up. If they were obnoxious, I would tell them to mind their own business- then smile. They either walked off or smiled and visited. One old gentleman told me that I was wasting my time shooting my scoped Blackhawk at 100 yds. After pulling my target with a 4" 6 shot group, he asked to try it. Of course I let him and the old phart shot a 3" 100 yard group! We bonded that day and he let me shoot his Sako .17-.223. I KNEW what wildcats were so he was tickled.
    Always give a person a minute before you decide what they are. Once identified, they can be dealt with accordingly.

Boolit Master

Well said.

I believe the term originated over at the ar website. It was anger and resentment from Fudds, willing to throw the ar users under the bus of gun banners. A fudd is guy who has is over under for clays or with his bird dog, the hunter with his model 70 or some such that is willing to sacrifice the 2nd amendment rights of others and preserve his own game. Not at all what the 2 nd is about and we all know that but some of us sometimes forget that.

Personally I despise ghetto blasters like a tek9 pistol but I will defend you’re right to have one. It’s not my cup of tea.

The fudd was the classic hunter shooter that was looking out for hims.

I am older now. I went through stages, teenager gun rag reader that thought I knew a lot (ha!), I talked/espoused too much then. Later I learned what I didn’t know, learned I believed in cliched fallacies. I learned to keep my opinions to myself unless a discussion is warranted. On the range I keep my own counsel but will pipe up for safety or when I really see someone struggling and I know I can help, I occasionally will suggest things when someone is obviously confused sighting in a gun. I will let someone look through my spotting scope or call out their hits when they cannot see to adjust.

Then again we are a membership club with very little yahoo type activity.

From the outside we are fudds, you don’t shoot trash on the range, you put your target at the berms, you clear your gun at a cease fire. Hands off when anyone goes down range.

ETA I remember the insults as a kid from the old guys hanging out at the club. The what do you need that for guys, talking to my friend with an AR or his polytek. We weren’t blasting, we were shooting for groups like anyone else. The derision was unfortunate. Oddly the coolest old guy I remember was a bench rest shooter. Single shot, had his bolt out more than in, reloaded right there on the back bench and was glad to talk and share what he knew with two budding reloaders who just reload for woodchucks and paper.
    Last edited by Lance Boyle; 09-29-2018 at 10:41 AM.

The worst form of Fudd is a RO with a bad attitude. I know they have to deal with a lot but they knew what they were getting into. One at a range outside Dallas would not let my friend shoot an original muzzleloader at all, despite us telling him we shot it all the time. He actually got red in the face as he told us it was a bomb waiting to go off. Told us we were foolish. After a minute, I decided he was a fool and demanded our money back. At first he refused but as things got louder and other shooters started gathering, he relented.
    I asked for the manager's phone number and he would not give it.
    I asked a shooter about him and he just shrugged and said "power has gone to his head"- and gave me the number. I called the manager and he said the RO made the right call. I told him- teach that SOB some manners, then. And post a sign- NO ANTIQUE SHOOTING. See how that goes with your regulars.
    I never went back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    we always called a fudd the guy that says I only duck hunt they don't want my guns.or the one that says you don't need a pistol.

Boolit Grand Master

fudd mentality

As you get older you aren’t open to new ideas. Once you’re set in your ways you don’t want to change. I’m aware of this and try not to be this way. The saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks can be applied to humans as well.

Fudd when it comes to firearms is one who’s willing to sacrifice you to keep what he has. This is why they’re an actual threat. I’ve found to biggest Fudds to be shotgunners. Especially ones at higher end ranges where if your gun doesn’t cost $20k it’s junk. They’re willing to sacrifice every other gun so they can keep their shotguns. While being naive, or willfully ignorant, to the fact that they will eventually come for their beloved shotguns.

The firearm community isn’t united. It’s divided into individual groups. Divide and conquer is a time proven method to win a war. But most gun owners simply ignore this.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just say what works for me, take it or leave it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I find the worst fudds are the young guys without the experience to appreciate a variety of different gun types.
    Some of the most humorous are those who think reloaded ammo is third rate ammo and dangerous to boot.
    Many of the younger shooters have very little knowledge of what they are doing yet try to tell someone who has been shooting 60 years how have a good time.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Well some reloaded ammo is dangerous garbage. Not mine though. Lol

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Some FUDDs also have one or both of these traits; They are "Rageaholics" and/or "Petty Tyrants". The RO described sounds like the latter, definitely. Not too pleasant to work with, those.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't volunteer much of anything unless someone asks, unless it's a safety problem or I know they're really screwing up their rifle. A guy at my range one day brought out a Garand he just got. Knew nothing about it. I like Garands so went over and asked if I could look at it. He said sure and volunteered he knew nothing so asked a few questions. As I'm looking at the rifle I asked him if he'd cleaned and greased it. Look at me funny and said no. That thing was bone assed dry. Suggested he not shoot it until he did. He thanked me and fired a few rounds to see if it worked and left.

On many sites now I don't even much bother to comment as someone is always smarter than me and makes critical comments sometimes. Why bother? I see the nastiness getting worse and worse. I blame it on this **** Social Media garbage. Everyone's an expert on everything now and they just have to show their brilliance to the world.

But, there are still some good sites with some great people. This is one of them. I see questions that have been answered over and over from new guys and still the "fudds" chime in and walk then through it. That's great. That's what this hobby, and the shooting sports, is all about. So to those "fudds" who helped me at times, thanks. I do appreciate it.

Oh, I'm a FUDD now, I think.

Boolit Master

They come in all shapes, sizes, and shades: Dunno how many times I've been told I need to get 'something modern'...like an ARs or Glock...and my stock answer is that I don't much care for the feel of plastic. My bolt guns and single-shots fulfill all my needs and the only time(s) I might get really grumpy with a 'black gun' shooter is when he's on the bench to my left and hasn't got the common courtesy to use a range bag or something similar to block the empties that are bouncing across my station. I even had one...a CCW instructor...recommend that I get a 'modern' piece for concealed carry and that was AFTER 30 rounds (double-action with +P ammo) from my SP101 had left a tennis ball sized hole dead center in my qualification target. They guy next to me - at least, 40 years younger - shooting some kind of XD 'compact' failed to qualify...and he only needed 21 of 30 inside the silhouette on a B27.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 09-29-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

I warn anyone I am shooting by that the muzzle brake blasts back pretty bad up to 10 feet either side and anything light is going to be blown off the table... but I usually wait until I have the 100 yard range to myself...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    IMO if someone's being helpful that's at least a good sign and maybe a sign that they're not a "FUDD", it's one thing to prefer wood stocks and bolt guns, or whatever, it's another to insist that everyone ELSE has to make the same choices you do, "or they're jerks" - I think maybe part of the FUDD thing's the need to control other people and force them to do things YOUR way, "OR ELSE". No polymer pistols here and I only have one plastic stocked rifle ATM, had more but family member stole 'em; Doesn't mean I don't like plastic stocks, I just like the nice figure on a beautiful wood stock with striking grain on it more than plastic. On the other hand, plastic does better in the rain here. But if you want to buy a Glawk I am fine with that - And may get one myself sooner or later, just to have one; Have shot some of 'em. ALL of them are fun if you have the right mind set

I haven't even shot a lever gun - yet. Some day

Boolit Grand Master

"I may not always be right but I'm never wrong" Archie Bunker
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    As you get older you aren’t open to new ideas. Once you’re set in your ways you don’t want to change. I’m aware of this and try not to be this way. The saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks can be applied to humans as well.

Fudd when it comes to firearms is one who’s willing to sacrifice you to keep what he has. This is why they’re an actual threat. I’ve found to biggest Fudds to be shotgunners. Especially ones at higher end ranges where if your gun doesn’t cost $20k it’s junk. They’re willing to sacrifice every other gun so they can keep their shotguns. While being naive, or willfully ignorant, to the fact that they will eventually come for their beloved shotguns.

The firearm community isn’t united. It’s divided into individual groups. Divide and conquer is a time proven method to win a war. But most gun owners simply ignore this.
    ^^^^^+1

People should pay attention to what The Breck Boy north of the border is up to if they care to see where the provincial "my gun is fine I don't care what they do about yours" because no-one needs one of those anyways" attitude leads to.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123