RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: S&W 3rd Model Top Break DA Revolver

S&W 3rd Model Top Break DA Revolver

Does anyone shoot any top break revolvers chambered in .38 S&W or .38 Colt N.P.? I've had one for some time and am just getting around to shooting it. I currently have some 165 gr Lyman 358156 SWCs that I had turned into a PB from a GC. They drop at .360 from the mold and I size them at .358 for my .38/.357. Currently I am going to shoot a ladder of 1.9 to 2.3 gr Unique to see what the accuracy node is at 25 yds.

Boolit Master
    If you measure the cylinder throats, you will probably find them much larger than you are accustomed to. in a S&W, .362" would not surprise me. Undersized boolits will shoot, just probably not as accurately as you hoped. Good luck and enjoy your "new" S&W

dubber is right about chamber throat dimensions and bullet diameter. As far as powder charges go, you will probably find more joy with Bullseye than the Unique. Unique does not burn well with such light charges as your proposed starting load.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I never loaded for top breaks in 38 S&W. I had a Colt several years ago, I forget the model but it was
    a 3" barrel and not a real old gun. I loaded 3.2g Unique with 158 cast RN. The bullet dropped at .360
    and I tumble lubed as cast. Shot decent at 25'. Never got into it much before trading it off. I wouldn't
    recommend this for a top break, even a S&W. I would be using Bullseye and working up from light
    loads. A revolver like this is just going to be shot for recreation anyway, no reason to wind it out.

Boolit Master
    The 38 S&W usally shoots best with .362 .364 bullets

Boolit Master

I like to shoot the old top breaks. Mine like .362 bullets and I keep the loads light. I use modern revolvers if I need to shoot anything hotter.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Exactly, pworley1, what I was thinking. Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using 2.0 grains of Bullseye with a 200 grain bullet cast from an NEI #169a mould. No problems in my Enfield No.2 Mk I* revolver, the Lend-Lease S&W British Service Revolver or in a Colt Police Positive. I would not use that load in any of the old break top revolvers like the S&W New Departure, H&R, Iver Johnson et al.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	228219

It is hard to find .360" bullets. None of my moulds cast that large. The Lyman mould for this caliber is hard to find and expensive when it is found. So, I use .38 Special hollow-base wadcutters in mine.

You cannot load them flush with the front of the case, but letting them stick out the front is not a problem. DO NOT try to push them, however. Just a pinch of Bullseye or Red Dot. The gun will not take any more. I know that from a breaking a breaktop .32 (a "Saturday Night Special") I tried to push a little bit. The first clue is that the top will unlatch when firing, ejecting the case up over your head (if you are lucky).