Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yard Sale Suprise

Boolit Master

do,nt know were you live but if I did,nt trust the local law I would go out in the wild and tie a string to it pull and go home

Boolit Master
    Years ago I ran across a grandad that wasent drilled. I pulled the pin and threw it in the creek. No pop no boom???? No more stress
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    do,nt know were you live but if I did,nt trust the local law I would go out in the wild and tie a string to it pull and go home
    But what if it doesn't go boom? It's a long tense walk down range to a known uxo and what are you going to do when you get there!
    Been there when training with claymores, makes a very tense moment.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    6 years on the bomb squad. we'd get these kind of calls all the time. at least, in my day, nobody freaked out. Baltimore is near Aberdeen proving grounds and various other military facilities. souvenirs, bring home's, and even live ordinance from the civil war turned up from time to time.

don't mess with it or dump it for somebody else to find. good tax money was spent on the R&D to develop these things into very deadly tools. call the local pd, state fire marshal, fire department or if you have a military facility nearby, call them. military has always been eager to recover stuff they let get away. it's more common than you might think and a clear & honest explanation will suffice. please don't hide it away or try to function it.
    Excellent advice.
    Thank you for posting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

in Remebrance
    A lifetime ago some kids in Bryan, Tx found a WW2 Jap grenade in the creek bottom that runs between Bryan and College Station, handle rotted off and plunger rusted solid. Brought it home, kid's dad recognized it and called police. Officer came and put it on his back seat, took it to HQ and put it under the shift sgt's desk behind a couple sandbags. Ft Hood EOD came and hauled it off, yep, it was live. IMHO our Lord looks after kids, drunks, and crazy people. Maybe dumb cops, too.GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'd fish with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Ok, Mick Dundee. Settle down
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    Years ago I ran across a grandad that wasent drilled. I pulled the pin and threw it in the creek. No pop no boom???? No more stress
    You ran across someone's granddad that wasn't shot so you threw him into a creek? That's hardcore right there, that is what that is
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I'm that kinda guy

it's hard for me to be aggravated at auto correct with the way I spell
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Buddy
    During the oilfield downturn of the early 80's there was a local dive company going out of business. I needed a drill press and they had a couple that were going to be auctioned off so I went to look. Wandering around looking at all the neat stuff brought me to a couple of boxes... interestingly marked "Hercules Powder Co. /Houston, TX". I thought "wut?!?"
    Sure enough, it was binary explosive they used to cut down the offshore platforms when they became obsolete. Red liquid on one end / Clear liquid on the other with a membrane separating the two. The first one I picked up out of the partial case was pink. When I asked the auctioneer about these he said the plan was to auction them just like everything else. I told him... just before I left... to call the sheriff's dept and tell them they had a little problem. Never did get that drill press.

Boolit Master
    Call the police and explain to them the situation and how you got it. Let EOD deal with it after that.

Despite what many here assume, the police aren't out to make your life hell. They just want to help and protect people. You have a live grenade. Get rid of it safely and do it now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    How about just telling the truth? Call LE . . . tell them you bought a bunch of stuff at a yard sale a while back and finally had a chance to go through it and you found what you think is a live grenade. What's the problem with that? Souvenir grenades show up every once in a while and it's not really that strange of an issue. If you suspect it is live - why would you transport it to aanywhere to dispose of it on the sly? If he doesn]rt know if it is a real one or not - he certainly has no business in trying to disarm it by removing the fuze and why anyone would d suggest that is just plain nuts. You have no idea of the condition of the fuze, possible corrosion, etc. Do what is prudent - call and let the pros handle it - that is what they are trained for. Worried about your guns, ammo, etc. - why? The discovery of a possibly live grenade among stuff bought at a garage sale has nothing to do with that. So your memory of where you got the stuff is hazy - their concern will be with removing and disposing of a possible threat to inexperienced people handling it. Common sense.

An ATF agent I used to work with said they got similar calls fairly regularly.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

In Remembrance

Back in the early 1960`s there was a `club` of WW 11 3rd Armored survivors here abouts. They had a solemn way of saying farewell to a recently deceased `club` member. They would go to an abandoned gravel pit that was full of water and they would each throw a live grenade into the lake to salute their buddy. Seems they had somehow brought home several cases of fragmentation grenades. A report to the local PD about the `BOOMS` led to the ending of this ritual.Robert