Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Details of Casting with NOE pellet molds

Boolit Man

Details of Casting with NOE pellet molds

Hi Guys,

I've been MIA on the forum for several years as I got out of casting for a while, but I've recently taken the plunge back in by getting into airguns. I recently just got the new(ish) Hatsan Flash QE in 25 cal as my first PCP that I hope to use for small game hunting. I'm pretty set on getting one of the NOE molds and casting my own. I've read the couple threads on the NOE molds, and it seems only a handful of people on here have bought one, but all of their stories seem positive. Since they've been out for a little while now, I'm wondering how many people have tried them out now.

Since the NOE molds seem to be the only quality and readily available mold out there for casting quality pellets, I thought it'd be a good idea if we started a thread where we document all the details of casting pellets with these molds. Post success and failure stories, what alloy you are using, what temps you're pouring, accuracy reports, stuff you've killed with em, etc. I think it would be a great repository of information since this isn't something that was commonly done before for airguns.

I'll start out with some questions for those of you that have been casting with these molds
    1. How have the pellets performed in the rifles you shoot them in compared to store bought swaged pellets?
    2. I read a thread somewhere that some people are pouring them with pure lead. Are you using pure lead or adding some tin to make it flow better into the thin areas?
    3. What temps are your lead and the mold since the pellets are so small?

I'm excited to get back into the casting world. Let hear what you have.

Boolit Master

Marked with interest for future responses.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    The .25 NOE Hunter shoots as well as my best bought pellets (H&N Extreme Hunter), the mold is large and the pellets small, so the mold needs more warm-up than other alum. molds. My NOE .30 cal. mold warms up faster and is easier to use but the pellets do not equal my best bought pellets ( JSB 51 gr.). The .25 cal. pellets were used in a AA510 FAC at near 800fps, the .30 cal. were fired in my Daystate Wolverine at over 900 fps.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I visited the NOE website earlier today hoping to find some update information of any progress on how close they are to making the lighter weight .22 caliber pellet molds. Maybe I looked right at the information I was looking for and just didn't see it but, I came away with no clue.

It's good to know that the .25s are performing well. I'm assuming they are being cast out of pure or near pure lead. I'm wondering if the lead can be alloyed in order to bring the weight down a bit more for those who prefer a slightly lesser weight than the lightest weights that the molds are designated for.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

I have the 220-30-FN .22 pellet mould. It casts really nice pellets, but I have not run them through a pellet rifle yet to see how they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    I visited the NOE website earlier today hoping to find some update information of any progress on how close they are to making the lighter weight .22 caliber pellet molds. Maybe I looked right at the information I was looking for and just didn't see it but, I came away with no clue.

It's good to know that the .25s are performing well. I'm assuming they are being cast out of pure or near pure lead. I'm wondering if the lead can be alloyed in order to bring the weight down a bit more for those who prefer a slightly lesser weight than the lightest weights that the molds are designated for.

HollowPoint
    I would certainly think so. The diagrams on the noe site state the pellet weight is based on pure lead. Adding ww or a bit of tin, etc. should lighten them a bit. Don’t know what the % of reduced weight would be though.
    Al at noe might have an idea how much difference it would make.

Boolit Bub
    Wayne over on Gateway to Airguns has had very good success with the Magnum Hunters, and now the standard hunters from the noe molds. All in .25 cal.

My AG doesn't like the Magnums, however, it has a faster twist rate than what is the norm. Most AG's are 1 in 16 or sower, mine is 1 in 14 twist.

It does however, after removing the choke, love cast bullets.

I decked an NOE Ranch Dog 80 gr mold to throw them at 50 grains, and it is giving me 1" at 76 yards. Not as good as the custom Talon/Dor which shoots the full length NOEs' for 200 fpe, but getting there.

I just sent a TJ's liner bbl. to Jefferson State Airguns for the O Ring groove to be machined in, and is the same bbl. used in the Talon/Dor, which will shoot 1/4" groups from it's 1 in 14 twist bbl.

Both bbls. have been fire lapped, hand polished bore and crown.

Very much looking forward to seeing what it can do in the RainStorm II, as I wanted one Side Lever Repeater for slugs, as the Talon/Dor is single shot.

The T/D sends the 80gr. hollow points down range at a little over 1000 fps. While the Rainstorm send the 50 gr. at 950's. This with the RS having a 17: bbl. The bbl. being worked on is 19" which will help with more fps.

I will re-test the actual pellets once the barrel is fitted to the RS. Fingers crossed!

I will be picking up the lighter Hunter mold in the future. Had to get a new press last month, so no new mold for me yet. LOL

There is a good section over on the GTA under machinist/ bullet casting which is dedicated to AirGun casting and results.

I send many members there here as it is a fantastic place to learn from. :<)

KnifeMaker

Can any of you guys post some pics of these pellets?

I have no idea what they look like, and I also have no idea what some of the guns you guys are using look like either.

Some of these guns sound pretty powerful? 80 gr pellet at 1000 fps? I'd like to see the gun.

Pics would help everybody who doesn't know exactly what you are talking about.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I did google Talon Dor and saw a video on Youtube showing a guy shooting 230 yards adn 446 yards with a .257 cal gun and what appear to be regular .257 cal boolits.

At 160 yds he was getting well below MOA ! Pretty impressive!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Okay, just finished my second session with the NOE .25 Hunter. I'm using the pin giving the biggest hollow base(or longest skirts) and have trouble getting complete fill out. I have an over 50% rejection rate, it takes a very centered and high pressure pour to get full skirts, the mold and lead are hot as can be. They do shoot good but my 3rd attempt will be with the pin giving the shortest skirts, I ALWAYS LIKED SHORT SKIRTS ANYWAYS.

Boolit Buddy

W.R.Buchanan

You can visit this site, and you can read/see the NOE pellets being made/shot by Wayne52 and others,
    this is the new section for air gun pellet casting etc,
    that DEz and Rocker1 started for us.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...hp?board=229.0

HtH,

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Bub
    Gateway to airguns is an excellent sourceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02080.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	228658The bullets, 80 gr Ranchdog, .257 by NOE and Eric's magic on the HP's.

Boolit Bub
    The Gun, Custom Talon/Dor, 4500 psi tank, filled to 3600 psi, velocity over 1000 fps for over 200 fpe.

Accuracy, 1/2 to 3/4" at 100 yards with hp. 1/2" and under for the sollid at 84 grains.

Attachment 228659

Boolit Bub
    Rainstorm II .25 shooting NOE .257 with mold decked to throw at 50 grains, 930 fpe, along with target at 80 yards.

Attachment 228660

Attachment 228663

36 yard test first

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02288.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	228664

and 76 yards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02292.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	228665
    Last edited by LongRangeAir; 10-11-2018 at 02:48 AM.