WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Electric hand mixer to mix Ben's Red. Good/bad/too Stoopid to be considered?

Electric hand mixer to mix Ben's Red. Good/bad/too Stoopid to be considered?

Considering making my first batch Ben's Red. I don't remember seeing reference to electric mixers to blend and eliminate the lumps. As the title says: is the question to stoopid to be even asked?

Thanks,

15meter

Boolit Master
    I use a hand held margherita mixer to stir my lube, beats hand stirring by a long shot. Go easy on the speed to start, too fast and you will have a waterproof wall. And yes, you know how I found this out.

Boolit Master
    I use a bit of bent rod in a battery drill....problem with food mixers is if they are used for anything else.If they are only used for lube ,you could store them in a heavy plastic bag.....Ive found its a lot better to machine stir lube at a colder temp,that overheating to try to get everything to mix.Greases are easily broken up with a mixer,but are very resistant to melting completely except at high temps.I cant see it makes any difference if the grease is dispersed in tiny particles,rather than melted.......I only need to heat hot enough to melt the waxes.

Boolit Buddy
    I just recently made my first batch of Ben's Red and found it quite easy to make once I got the correct method. After my beeswax melted I used a simple whisk (egg beater type) and in no time all my ingredients were well incorporated. After reading your post I was thinking that with an electric mixer the lube would get to throfty, but being it has to be strained I guess it wouldn't really matter. I found using two (stacked together) auto body paint strainer filters worked easier than the t-shirt. . .they're sold at most auto part stores. I made the 55% recipe due to the heat I shoot in and found Ben's Red to be "all that" from what I've read. I have only about 500 +/- rounds shot of it in several calibers, 10mm, .44 Mag, 445 SM, .45 ACP and .45 LC but it has worked very well in everything. . .autos, revolvers, singleshots and rifles at velocities from 900 FPS to 1700 FPS. Going to try some in my 30/30 and .356 Win as soon as I find a boolit and mold I would like.

Boolit Master
    I use a mixer with no issues. I use only one of the "things" on slow to reduce the amount of air introduced to the lube. I picked up the mixer at the thrift store so only have a couple of bucks in it.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you could put all the lube ingredients in a big blender cold and just mix without any heat at all...Often see these big blenders dumped when they get a bit stained..........I used to melt lube to fill the Lyman ,but now I find its easier to simply scoop the lube up with a spoon ,and stick it into the Lyman............tightening the screw seems to force all the air out...anyway ,bullets lube as they should,so maybe contained air isnt an issue.
    Last edited by john.k; 09-30-2018 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add