Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Can I use 4759 in 223 Rem?

Can I use 4759 in 223 Rem?

I bought out a quantity of reloading supplies and tools from an estate sale. Included were two green and white Dupont cans labeled 4759. Not designated IMR or SR. Someone apparently wrote the year "1964" on top of one of the cans. It looks and smells good, and I am not afraid to use it. After a brief search, and looking at pictures of the grains of SR4759, I came to the conclusion that it was the same stuff.

Now my question: I have had real difficulty working up a load for the 55 gr Lee Bator boolit with any powder. Accuracy has just not been there. Does anyone have experience using SR 4759 in that application? Thanks.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't tried this one, but Lyman's 4th edition shows 223 loads with Lyman's 55 grain #225646 and SR4759 from 8.5 to 11.5 grains. They also remind you that their cast loads probably won't be suitable for an AR. Given that 4759 is no longer produced, I would be inclined to save it for other uses and try alternatives for 223. Smaller loads of a faster powder like Red Dot might give you what you are looking for. You didn't tell us what kind of firearm you're shooting 223 through or what kind of velocity you want.

Thanks, Mohawk. I am using a Rem 722 bolt gun that was originally a 222 rem, but rechambered. I would like to get around 2,000 FPS, but would be willing to give up velocity for accuracy. I've tried fast powders and slow powders, and still haven't gotten consistent accuracy. My goal is to thin the local groundhog population.

Wayne

Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked for runout ?
    I had runout issues when seating the Lee Bator, until I quit using the Lee seater die and started using a Bonanza BR seater die.
    The Lee seater die is a poor match for the Large meplat of the Bator.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oading-success
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Have you checked for runout ?
    I had runout issues when seating the Lee Bator, until I quit using the Lee seater die and started using a Bonanza BR seater die.
    The Lee seater die is a poor match for the Large meplat of the Bator.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oading-success
    Thanks, Jon. I don't have a dial indicator, but it may be time to get one. My rifle did shoot jacketed bullets just fine, so I was rather puzzled.
    Wayne

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I bought out a quantity of reloading supplies and tools from an estate sale. Included were two green and white Dupont cans labeled 4759. Not designated IMR or SR. Someone apparently wrote the year "1964" on top of one of the cans. It looks and smells good, and I am not afraid to use it. After a brief search, and looking at pictures of the grains of SR4759, I came to the conclusion that it was the same stuff.

Now my question: I have had real difficulty working up a load for the 55 gr Lee Bator boolit with any powder. Accuracy has just not been there. Does anyone have experience using SR 4759 in that application? Thanks.

Wayne

I’ve tried and tried and tried to make a T/C Super 14 Contender barrel in 223 Remington shoot cast boolits and I have finally decided that it simply will not shoot cast—period…

I’ve tried the 22-55-SP, 225646, 225414, and the 22596 using many different primers and powder ranging from Trail Boss to a near full case of 4831. I recorded 41 different loads from the components listed. Nothing would make that Contender shoot with any consistency and 12-ounce cans were mostly safe at 100 yards…

Back to your post, SR-4759 did not perform at all. The best accuracy I got was with WC-680 @ 1769 fps and it still was mediocre at BEST…

Good-luck…BCB

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Thanks, Jon. I don't have a dial indicator, but it may be time to get one. My rifle did shoot jacketed bullets just fine, so I was rather puzzled.
    Wayne
    I don't have a dial indicator or a runout gauge setup either, My issue was great enough, that I was able to visually see the runout issue by rolling them on a pure flat surface. I use a 'machine polished' piece of marble/stone I found somewhere.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I don't have a dial indicator or a runout gauge setup either, My issue was great enough, that I was able to visually see the runout issue by rolling them on a pure flat surface. I use a 'machine polished' piece of marble/stone I found somewhere.
    I might try that. Glass from a picture frame would probably work.
    Wayne