RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataPBcastcoTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Glen E. Fryxell Fans

Boolit Grand Master

Added another of Glen's articles today. In search of the perfect bullet

Index to 47 (and counting) of Glen's articles.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Rick, thanks for keeping us up on these articles. The big problem is that it often costs me money when you do so.

Education isn't cheap, but it is a worthwhile expense.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Mold
    Very good reading. Thank you very much.

I love reading Glens articles. They are very informative.
    thanks!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

Glen, When's that book comin out? I love having something I can put on the night stand for bed time reading. Put me on the list for the first one off the press. Hope it's hardbound.
    Last edited by square butte; 10-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Another new article from Glen and he out did himself this time. No one planning on hunting with the 44 Mag should be issued a hunting license until they have read this article. Twice!

A note I recieved from Glen that said this article was three years in the making.

Is the 44 Magnum becoming overweight?

Index to 48 (and counting) of the articles of Glen E. Fryxell.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Maybe Glen should charge you blokes 1% of the money you spend after reading his articles. Only for his retirement naturally.

Boolit Buddy
    As is standard with his articles, Excelent! Thanks Glen and Rick

Matt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Glen, When's that book comin out? I love having something I can put on the night stand for bed time reading. Put me on the list for the first one off the press. Hope it's hardbound. Tom
    I'll second, third, and FOURTH this motion!!! I remember first reading about this a few years ago in John Taffin's "Book of the 44" where John wrote that he had read the manuscript and wrote the forward. I WANT TO READ GLEN'S BOOK TOO!!!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Moderator Emeritus

Glen, I generally read 400-500 pages a week and would gladly volunteer to proof read a printing proof.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Thumbs up Slow Elk 45/70

Thanks for the link, I have read his articals in Cast Bullet and Varmint Hunter, he know his stuff and it is good for new and old..S.L.45/70

Boolit Grand Master

Just posted a new article on hog hunting from Glen. Just to make everyone green with envy Glen was gracious enough to invite me along on a hog hunt with him in May.

The Birthday Present By Glen Fryxell

Index to 49 (and counting) of the articles of Glen E. Fryxell.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Not having much experience I don't have much to add except that Glen's articles are the reason I bought a S & W 686 (five-inch, non-fluted cylinder) instead of a 480 Ruger, which is more than i need. Also bought an SP-101 in .327 Federal because it was as close as i could get to some of the smaller wildcat cartridges he has talked about. Thanks for injecting some common sense into my misplaced desire for something BIGGER. Hope I can hunt with and cast for both guns soon.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master

A new article from Glen on testing HP's and alloy in the 45 ACP.

Cast Hollow Points and the .45 ACP

Index to the largest collection of Glen's articles on the internet, several of them written for lasc.us

Index to 50 and counting of Glen's articles.

Enjoy,

Rick

CRPA Life Member

For any fans of the .32 S&W Long cartridge, Rick was kind enough to post a piece I wrote on one of my favorite small game hunting rounds:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellThe32S-WLong.htm

I hope you guys enjoy it.
    Last edited by Glen; 05-24-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Glen

Boolit Grand Master

Oops, I was going to post this article here, as much stuff as I've been forgetting lately it won't be long before I will be able to hide my own easter eggs.

Thanks Glen.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Today Glen added an addendum to the 32 S&W Long article on velocities and load data.

Addendun to article

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Another cast bullet hunting article from Glen, this time I was with him on the Oregon pig hunt. Having spent 2 days on Clover Creek Ranch with Glen I left for home a smarter man than when I arrived.

Hope you enjoy it.

40-50 Sharps Straight Contender on an Oregon hog hunt

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Great article!
    It was a little disturbing on the 429640HPs performance. I load this same boolit in my .44mags and .444 marlin. My son shot a hog between the eyes from 50 yds away, and the boolit penetrated the skull with no problem. The front end will expand and the mushroom will break off, but the rest of the boolit shank will penetrate 12 inches of wet phone books.
    The failure could've been from a bad boolit that didn't get culled out of the bunch. This is just pure speculation on my part.
    It still makes me wonder though.
    Last edited by Leadforbrains; 06-07-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Grand Master

Lead,

Yep, been scratching my head since we skinned her. Pretty doubtful a bad bullet slipped by me. I loaded 30 rounds to run over the chrono, group and set the sights at 50 yards. I used 20 for this and the last 10 went hunting. All of these bullets were under plus or minus .5 gr., all charges weighed. Glen thinks it’s the alloy and while anything's possible I'm pretty careful about separating weights. The alloy is clip-on weights plus 3% pure bar tin, air cooled, BHN 12. I set a couple of these bullets on a 1" steel plate and gave them all I had with a short handled 5 pound sledge hammer. Shortened it by around 65% without a single crack or split in them, just squished it flat.

I shot her three times with a 280gr. HP at 1320 fps; first shot in the ribs right behind the shoulder, next two were in the neck. Ok, I was aiming for the head but an off-hand shot at a trotting pig's head at 40 yards and both shots went into the neck, these didn't exit either. Fourth shot was with a 310 Gr SWC PB at 1300 fps from 8-10 feet into the top of the head.

Still scratching my head and it pretty well ended the thought of my hunting with cast HP in a handgun.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast