Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: New Remlin 1894CST 16.5” 38 spl/357 Mag

Boolit Buddy

New Remlin 1894CST 16.5” 38 spl/357 Mag

I ordered this last week after seeing it listed on Gunsinternational and I picked it up this morning:

As the box says, it’s Remington/Marlins new Stainless Steel 357 magnum/38 Special with 16.5” threaded barrel.

I bought the version with the threaded barrel as I have a palsy with respect to suppressing as many of my firearms as possible.

When I picked it up at my FFL I eyeballed it pretty hard, checking everything and couldn’t find anything of note ( front sight was positioned at 12 o’clock, brushed stainless finish was even with no mars/burrs, wood to metal fit is very good with the standard “very proud/thick forearm).

The action worked as smooth as any of my JM rifles with no hitches or catches during the cycling of the lever.

The wood finish is of a black textured spiderweb type that seems to be durable and should wear very well.

The front sight is a very tall blade (for suppressor use) with a white line through its center and the rear sight is ghost ring type adjustable for windage and elevation.

The knurled thread protector is very well done with deep knurls for a good purchase when tightening/loosening and the muzzle end is rounded/contoured unlike a great many you see that have a “squared” profile and (in my mind) this one is more asthetically pleasing than most.

The sights are not set up precision as the rear ghost ring is very large but if I took my time and beared down real hard with a mighty “squint” I could get it to turn in groups of about 1.5 inches (with my handloads) at 35 yards.

I ran about 150 rounds of my handloads (158 grain LSWC on top of 4.5 grains of HP 38 in 357 mag brass velocity 1050 fps out of my 20” JM 1894) and it fed, fired
    and functioned without a single issue.

Here’s a 6 shot group fired at 35 yards from the bench:

Here’s another 6 shot group fired at 75 yards (from the bench) on a 12” Steel plate
    With the above mentioned loads:

Operation was smooth and while I didn’t measure the trigger pull it off s crisp and I would estimate the weight of pull at 3.5-4 lbs.

The only three complaints I have are:

1. The loading gate is stiff and the magazine spring is quite stout and this makes loading the 6 round tubular magazine a bit of a chore.

2. The set screws that lock the rear sight in place after adjustment are of the “slotted/standard” type and I would prefer Allen type screws to be used for this task.

3. The ghost ring rear sight is secured in the two rearmost screw holes in the top of the receiver precluding the use of a scope with rear sight in place.

Other than those 3 things (which are somewhat minor) this rifle is the equal of any of my JM Marlins.

This one set me back close to $1000.00 so it’s not as inexpensive as their new 20” blued model.

I have always wanted a suppressed Lever gun in 38/357 mag but I could never bring myself to cut up my blued JM Marlin 1894 in 357.

This one will scratch that itch while preserving my older rifle for those who will appreciate it when I’m gone.

Banned
    Outstanding! I am glad to hear this.

I have two new 2018 built Marlins in my safe, one in 357 mag and one in 45-70. I couldn't be happier with them.

Keep up the good work.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy
    I have two new 2018 built Marlins in my safe, one in 357 mag and one in 45-70. I couldn't be happier with them.
    This is my second 2018 Model, the other is a Model 336 30/30 (youth model) with 16.5” barrel and short )brown) laminated stock that my LGS was practically giving away.

It has been a very nice rifle as well.

Boolit Master

Great write up, thank you. I want one but I can't do the big lever.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

That one doesn’t look as bad as some of the other SS models they’ve recently put out. I’d ditch those sights and install a set of Skinners. If you want an aperture sight on a Marlin they can’t be beat. They make them in stainless if you wanted them to match. And the rear comes in two versions. One uses only the two rear screws while the express version uses all four and is designed to look like it’s part of the rifle. I have them on all my Marlins. I wish they would produce a blued threaded barrel version w/ a wood stock.

Boolit Master
    I really like everything about it. Always liked the ss and nicer composite stocks. The threaded barrel is quite interesting....

Not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. Shoots good too! Nice write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

"...this rifle is the equal of any of my JM Marlins..."

That seems hard to believe, but I only have JMs. The prices on the JMs keep going up. If current production Marlins are as good as older JMs, then the prices may fall on the JMs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "...this rifle is the equal of any of my JM Marlins..."

That seems hard to believe, but I only have JMs. The prices on the JMs keep going up. If current production Marlins are as good as older JMs, then the prices may fall on the JMs.
    Never happen. People place more value on stuff, whether real or perceived on anything that would be considered it's antecedent. I have both, and I can't tell one wits difference between the two, but the JM's are worth more. I think people are convinced they are better and as a result, more valuable. The only exception being models no longer in production in the current Marlin line up. Just my take, other's will differ.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Never happen. People place more value on stuff, whether real or perceived on anything that would be considered it's antecedent. I have both, and I can't tell one wits difference between the two, but the JM's are worth more. I think people are convinced they are better and as a result, more valuable. The only exception being models no longer in production in the current Marlin line up. Just my take, other's will differ.
    I’m on board w/ you. There are a lot of JM turds out there. Marlins have always been a working mans rifle. They’re not highly finished pieces. The JM stamp will continue to bring a premium because they’re not being made anymore. I own both old and new. The current Remington made Marlins are finished to a higher degree out of the box. Yes, they had a lot of trouble getting production up and running. But now that they do they’re a great rifle. I won’t pay a premium for a JM if it’s currently being made by Remington. I really want them to make a 336D so I don’t have to pay $1,100+ for one

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a bunch of JM rifles, but they show alot of wear and are not rare models so I don't feel bad about them getting dinged or modified. The one truly nice JM I have is going to get sold because I feel like I'm toting a crown grade H&H when I take it out, kind of ruins the fun. I will probably buy a new Remlin or user grade JM to replace it and pocket the difference.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.