MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Plastic Milk or Water Jugs for Wads?

Boolit Master

Plastic Milk or Water Jugs for Wads?

Has anyone tried using the plastic jugs that water or milk come in for wads? I have cut several from waxed cardboard milk or juice cartons, but was wondering if there was a use for the straight plastic ones... I miked out some of the plastic at .0170-.0175...think it might serve as a good over powder wad before adding a grease cookie... perhaps in addition to a fiber, cardboard or veggie wad... I am looking at loading both paperpatch and grease groove bullets.

thanks for sharing your experience
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Grand Master

I normally perfer a thicker wad over powder something along the lines of the napa rubber fiber gasket material in .060 thickness. I have used .030 also at times. for over the grease cookie to seal off between it and the PP bullet a playing card wad, plastic coated and .020 thick, then 2 tracing paper wads.

Ive never tried plastic have used waxed juice and milk cartons though. In my 44-40 with GG bullets its just the playing card wad over powder to protect bullets base

Boolit Master

there are a few people on here that do, one uses milk jugs for shot cups in pistol loads.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    When I started with BPCP shooting, my mentor, Doug Knoell (won a few matches) said he used wads punched from the waxed milk or juice cartons made with a Buffalo Arms wad punch (.058 diameter) and then put a newspaper wad on top. The newspaper was to help the main wad break loose so it wouldn't cause wobble of the bullet. I would make lots of those wads and the news print wads were a pain as soon as I opened the little metal box the wind would try to blow them everywhere!

When he won his last match, he won by ONE point and the fellow was using everything exactly the same as Doug but he was a couple years older which had something to do with it. Sooooooo Doug asked him which way the "printing" on the milk carton faced and he said he didn't know and he was told "that's you problem, printing has to face UP"! Actually he told me it makes no difference but he got into that shooter's head!
    John

Boolit Buddy
    If you have ever seen what Black does to shot cups, you'd steer clear of the plastic.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

cork. manila folder.

Boolit Master

Cardboard milk/juice cartons have been PLASTIC LINED tor over 35 years.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

manila folders work pretty well for over shot cards... cork works well for the nitro card

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    Has anyone tried using the plastic jugs that water or milk come in for wads? I have cut several from waxed cardboard milk or juice cartons, but was wondering if there was a use for the straight plastic ones... I miked out some of the plastic at .0170-.0175...think it might serve as a good over powder wad before adding a grease cookie... perhaps in addition to a fiber, cardboard or veggie wad... I am looking at loading both paperpatch and grease groove bullets.

thanks for sharing your experience
    I have used water jug wads in my 45/75 - have shot a couple of nice targets with it - its high density polyethelene and measures about 35 to 45 thou - I sort them a bit as I cut - our plastic milk jugs are about 20thou - this stuff is quite hard - I have not been able to get low density poly yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    If you have ever seen what Black does to shot cups, you'd steer clear of the plastic.
    I picked up a couple of my shot HDPE water jug wads - not a mark on em - maybe is different plastic ?

These new plastic black powder cans make wad about as a good as any.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    These new plastic black powder cans make wad about as a good as any.
    I knew that there had to be a reason I was saving them.

I love white plastic milk jugs punched out for overshot wads for shotgun shells. Mostly use them in buckshot.
    Keeps filler in, and makes for perfect fold crimp.

poly coffee lids work well for me

In Remembrance
    Haven't used milk jugs, but do use fiber egg cartons for over powder wads. Lubed, they work for BP percussion wads under the ball.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

One gallon Blue Bunny or the likes ice-cream bucks are made from very good resins that make very good wads around .037". If you cut the wads close you can get close to 1000 wads from the bucket.
    Family members save the empty buckets for me.

Banned

.060" x 2' x 4' LDPE, this is about the best deal you'll get for for under $22 shipped in the USA ....
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-20-2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: NO eBay links

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=rfd;4467104].060" x 2' x 4' LDPE, this is about the best deal you'll get for for under $22 shipped in the USA ....

have looked at that one several times - does not ship to Australia keeps poppin its head up -- if they would ship I would expect $65 to $80 shipping on top - still looking here - this stuff has got to be around someplace. The hard wads (HDPE) seem to be working ok but .......................
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-20-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Cardboard milk/juice cartons have been PLASTIC LINED tor over 35 years.
    explain please

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    explain please
    He might be right - I just checked one of the ones I use (organic milk carton) and its a thin card layer (paper) sandwiched between two plastic looking skins. Inner liner is white - outer has the writing on it (brand name etc) This stuff seems to come unstuck off the boolit base nicely when it gets shot.

I always thought these things were waxed ?? maybe in the old days???