Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Modified Lee slug success

Boolit Bub

Modified Lee slug success

I've been playing with a modified Lee keyhole slug for a while now, it's been problematic until now as I've strived for a cheap slug load.
    I started by filling in the key hole bit with metal putty and casting them, then loading them in trap loads they weighed about 20gm.
    The results were about 4" at 35 yards but had flyers.
    I then removed some off the tip and bought the weight up to 24gm, I loaded them the same and there was about a 3" group with less flyers.
    I then filled the base in with rice when I loaded them, this was then shooting around 3" at 35 yards with no flyers. I moved out to 45 yards and groups were around me 6" which surprised me.
    I then filled the base in with hot glue, groups at 45 yards were 5"-6" so I was almost at my goal.
    I filed a bit more off the insert so they were a very nose heavy 26.5gm, I filled the hollow with hot glue again.
    I took them out today and put a bigger 3-9 scope on for testing.
    I was quite surprised not only have I made my 4" mark but I definitly surpassed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15380288402090.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	227892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15380288801561.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	227893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15380289122992.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	227894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15380289643733.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	227895

Boolit Bub

1st blood

Well got to test them out today, I snuck up on a little mob of 9 fallow I watch, got to 40m or so when they spooked but I new they were going to run the main trail across the creek and jumped on a log and took aim at a clearing 60m or so down hill and lined up the old Judas nanny that I have been meaning to cull for a while now.
    The 1st shot had her staggering, the 2nd missed just going over her and hitting a tree just over her back.
    8 deer deer went up the other side and she wasn't one of them.
    I got the pup on the blood trail for a bit of real world practice but I didn't need her nose a blind man could have followed that trail.
    She had it maybe 20m and was stone dead in the wash out at the bottom.
    I don't know what it with this gun and game dying in bloody blackberries but at least I could retrieve her.
    The shot went in the back of her ribs with an entry hole that looked like an exit hole and I actually retrieved the slug under the skin in the front shoulder after it had shattered her entire leg bone both sides of the joint, the retained weight was 27.19 global pretty much 100% retention.

Not the best deer I've ever killed but after all the work developing these slugs to make a 60m kill shot on a running deer with open sights on a shotgun, I think it's probably the most satisfying kill I've ever made.

Name:	15401086786570.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	229153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15401087124171.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	229154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15401087362992.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	229155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15401087618183.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	229156

Boolit Grand Master

Nice going!

From the distortion of that slug I have to ask if you are using pure or at least soft lead? The slug is quite banged up. Did its job though that's for sure.

Longbow

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Not the best deer I've ever killed but after all the work developing these slugs to make a 60m kill shot on a running deer with open sights on a shotgun, I think it's probably the most satisfying kill I've ever made.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that, brother! Excellent job on the shot and on the work on the mold! Bravo! May the forest be with you.........
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

USMC 77, USRA 79

I would love to see some close up shots of the mold modifications, and the slug mods after cast... not sure if I am following the actual mods, but love the success ....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    I love it when a quest comes to fruition. Especially when it is an easy modification to a low-cost mold.
    A measurement of the center hollow/key-base plug would be nice so we know how much you filed off.

Do you mind sharing hull, wad and powder info.

Boolit Mold
    Well done, good result.

If possible would like to see load data.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I would love to see some close up shots of the mold modifications, and the slug mods after cast... not sure if I am following the actual mods, but love the success ....
    It was a simple modification but in the end it worked out.

Name:	15381369378771.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	229195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15381369551872.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	229196

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    .885" according to my micrometer.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by UKshooter View Post
    Well done, good result.

If possible would like to see load data.
    I used Falcon 32gm field hulls, Winchester AA 1 1/8's wads on top of 25.5gn of AP70N powder and then star crimped to finish.