Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Forming 6mm Reming AI?

Forming 6mm Reming AI?

I have a 6mm Remington AI barrel for my Savage Mdl 111 that I plan on installing this winter. I have never formed brass before and am looking for advice. I have plenty of 30-06 & 270 Win brass. It would be great if there was a sticky thread that gave the basic steps for some of the more popular conversions. Things like how much can you expand or reduce a case neck diameter before annealing is required or before is splits or wrinkles. Thank you in advance for any advice you may give. This is a great place to learn from great folks.

Multiple edits for spelling, grammar etc. (I think I'll switch to a mouse with a release trigger to reduce my flinch)

Boolit Master
    If the head spacing is correct the easiest thing to do is either just shoot factory 6mm Remington rounds in it, or get some 6mm Remington brass and load up some mild loads and shoot them. I prefer to shoot boolits when fire-forming, as I enjoy seeing holes appear in my target. Some people use a powder charge and Cream of Wheat or something and shoot at the clouds, but I just can't do that.
    I took all of my .270 & 30-06, as well as some 25/06 and I know there was something else and turned them into 30-06 a.i. brass. I'd much rather neck up than down.

converting 30-06 brass to 6mm Remington a.i. brass
    Google this.....
    Last edited by Tom W.; 10-01-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

If everything is right, fireforming 6mm rem to 6mm rem AI is the easiest way. Necking down and pushing the shoulder back and reforming wont be a simple 1pass reform operation. Also necking down and using part of the original cases shoulder for the new neck will probably require neck reaming or turning.

Boolit Master

Yes, as long as headspace is set for a crush fit, just shoot regular 6mm loads.

Ill second that necking down 270 or 3006 might cause you to need to ream or neck turn.

Boolit Master
    It is my understanding that Mr.Aikley's Improved wildcats could be made by shooting factory calibers in improved chambers. If you really want to form brass you might be better of starting with 257 Robts,7x57,8x57 or 9x57. They are all from the same family of brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several AI cartridges that I load for and the 6mm AI happens to be one of them. It would be best to stay away from using any of the `06 brass family as a parent case. . .as Country Gent stated, you will fall into more of a brass prep work-up than what you would want and you'll have to buy some new tools to make them right. Plain and simple - it ain't worth it! Stick with 6mm Remmy or .257 Roberts for brass (x57 family) as Duckiller posted. . .Winchester has always worked well for me for run-of-the-mill brass and Norma and Lapua being my favorites. Pick a powder for the 6mm Rem/.243 Win. (I use H4831 because I have a ton of it) and use about 3/4 of a charge (in my case, 36 grs.) and the longest inexpensive bullet you can find (for me the Hornady 105 gr. BTHP), load these long to where it is tight to close the bolt jamming the bullet into the rifling. By doing this the brass flow will come from the shoulders of the case and not from the head so as not to get separation of the head/case in the web area. After this you're good to go and have a fully formed case. Just so you know. . .x57 family brass is 2.233" long and at the shoulder junction is .429". . .`06 family brass is 2.494" long and .441" at the shoulder junction, .270 Win/.280 Rem are 2.540" long. . .waaaay to much brass to work with unless you have a hydraulic case forming press. Then you would be good to go and I would like to be one of your best buddies! You'll really like the 6mmAI especially if you have a fast twist barrel and you're shooting the heavies, 108 gr.+. I use my 6mmAI as a culling rifle for deer and hogs and any other critter I deem a target of opportunity and I shoot the 115 gr. Berger VLD over a healthy dose of VV N560. In my 1/8 twist 27" barrel, these sleeping pills move along at 3160FPS with pure precision! Good luck with your new rifle, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. One other thing. . .make sure you start a savings account for this rifle, because at about 900/1000 rounds you can expect to be looking for a new barrel or at least setting yours back 1 1/2"! ! ! Just nature of the beast. If I can help you with anything, just shoot me a PM.

A big thanks to all of you for your valuable experience and advice. I'm usually pretty stubborn and head strong but this time I took your advice. Powder Valley had Winchester 6mm Remington brass in stock, $22.50 for a bag of 50. I bought 2 bags. I won't get a chance to work on my rifle until after it freezes solid here as I have quite a bit of outdoor work to do this year.

OFFSHORE -- Thanks for the tips on loads and case forming. I will be contacting you once I get my rifle together.

This forum is the best on the net!

Boolit Master
    I think so....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPoint View Post
    OFFSHORE -- Thanks for the tips on loads and case forming. I will be contacting you once I get my rifle together.

This forum is the best on the net!
    You're very welcome and keep me posted whenever you get ready.

And, YES. . .you're spot on about this forum. I've only been a registered user for a short while and a long time "Lurker", but I've made contact with many helpful genuine folks here thus far. Tons of knowledge pours out of these threads. Keep it going!