WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: rebuild an old red rider?

Boolit Master

Question rebuild an old red rider?

I've got a red rider BB gun that was been mine since it was my birthday present as a kid (they bought me a shotgun first so I would learn to respect guns). It doesn't fire anymore. Still cocks, doesn't fire. The end "plug" of plastic with the loading gate that centers the barrel is held on with bailing wire. cracked wood stock, dented receiver, etc... It had alot of love and use in it's lifetime. When it was new it would shoot through a sheet of tin, or bust a soda bottle from a couple dozen paces out. Was heck on wood rats in the corn crib, and crows in the garden.

I want to rebuild it. Just take it down, clean it up, fix it. Make it work again. Any ideas on where to get info for a rebuild on a late 70s, early 80s red rider?

Thanks. God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    You can buy various parts for you Red Rider on Ebay without having to buy a whole new bb gun. Their not that expensive so if worse came to worse you could buy the cheapest one offered and just use it for parts.

I found that the old school Red Riders had more velocity than the ones they sell now days. I think it's a sort of lawyer-proofing. Here's a link to what's might be available on Ebay.

No ebay links

HollowPoint
    Last edited by Pressman; 10-01-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a seventies re issue with all metal end cap and original twist to open loading. As close to the original as the reissues ever got. Excellent condition as far as the outside goes got it for ten bucks at a salvage store.
    it is also a weak shooter, but partly because the inside of the cylinder is very corroded and I was unable to polish it out with a brake cylinder hone.
    The internal parts also seem to be made of very thin and weak metal. Trying a stronger spring did more harm than good. I suspect the only way to make one of these shoot as hard as the originals would be to replace all the internals with those of an original.

PS
    Busted end caps were commonly replaced with a wooden thread spool trimmed to fit.

I have my Daisy Eagle which was the top of the line in 1958 when I got it. I want to fix it up and am looking for parts.

any Ideas? I need a new rear sight and the gun won't cock so something is amiss inside. How about a parts blow up?

As far as being a weak shooter soak the gun in Solvent for a day so the leather piston seal swells up. My uncle did that for my gun which has had literally tens of thousands of rounds ran thru it and it was twice as powerful as it was originally!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I couldn't pass up saying "you'll shoot your eye out!" (sorry For some reason I watch that movie every Christmas...) Nah, that bb gun would be well worth over-hauling!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Sounds like a fun project!

I gave my old Crosman .177 to a family member, the FWB 124 I got just plain spoiled me, but maybe I should have kept it. Was a fun gun.

One tidbit on evilbay searches - Used to be, if you put all your search terms in upper case, it would only match those listings that have those terms in upper case as well - So if you put most of your search terms in lower case, back then, you'd get more hits. Just tested it and they apparently fixed that! Got the same # of hits with "BB GUN" as with "bb gun" so I guess this isn't helpful, would have been some time ago tho In general some search engines DO have this failing though, so if searching on google or duckduckgo or Amazon you might try all lower case if all upper doesn't find what you're looking for. (On evilbay it could just be that if ALL your search terms are upper case they lower case them all, I have done a LOT of software testing in the past, but testing that all for free sounds like work LOL)

Boolit Master
    This video might be helpful when ya find the parts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_hJqTqeK1M
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Thanks everybody!

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Bub
    I have my father's Daisy. It dates back to the mid thirties. I know it sat in the wash house for years and the wood stock has lost an inch or two to rot. Of course is has surface rust, but the metal appears sound. I would love to restore it but I'm not sure the point. I'm retired now and the thing means more to me as it was my father's than anything else. Has anyone else bothered to go down that road?

BTW ~ I inherited a prewar Diana, dressed as an M98 Mauser, from grandfather. It has appropriate patina and still shoots well.

Boolit Buddy
    Call Daisy down in Heddon, AR. Some years ago I overhauled an 1894 'Spittin' Image' and, after contacting Daisy they(Daisy) gave me the name of a fellow that bought out all of their old parts stock. As I recall, he was up in one of the midwestern central states. Possibly the factory still has that info...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Call Daisy down in Heddon, AR. Some years ago I overhauled an 1894 'Spittin' Image' and, after contacting Daisy they(Daisy) gave me the name of a fellow that bought out all of their old parts stock. As I recall, he was up in one of the midwestern central states. Possibly the factory still has that info...
    Right on target! I think Daisy is located in Rogers, Arkansas. They have a museum there and a lot of pride in their history and product. They will be glad to help.

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Somewhere there is an old red Ryder that my grandfather gave me over 30 years ago.
    It had been my uncles so it is probably 50-60 years old I would guess.
    I stopped using it when it would fire on its own.
    I need to find it and fix it up someday, i remember seeing it in my folks basement a few years ago.
    Now that I understand more about guns it hopefully is an easy fix.

Boolit Buddy

You might want to check on this site,

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...hp?board=186.0

They should provide the best answers for helping etc.

HTH,

Tia,
    Don